Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Laptop is the best

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First machine is already 3 years old. I wouldn't expect that to last another 4 years. It's already somewhat dated. I'd avoid.

Second, its expensive for a 2 year old mid range laptop. Spec looks okay, but nothing fantastic. You can get a decent machine new for that money.

Third, sold as new, but it is certainly not. Low RAM and old hardware. I wouldn't be buying it.

Fourth, maybe seems okay. Not sure about the seller or how this machine will be presented. As in, are they opening it and replacing the drive/memory to make it into the spec you order? Or are these just configurations Lenovo provide. Not sure I would go through ebay for a purchase like this. All that being said, spec is fine. 6th gen i5, 8gb of RAM and 500GB drive is probably best. But as I mentioned, I'd be wary.

Fifth, I like Asus. I like this machine. But the spec is just crap, and the ad is far from clear. At some points it says 128GB SSD, and in others it says 256GB. And the same goes for the RAM, it mentions 8GB in the title, but 4GB in the description. It wouldn't be terrible with 256 and 8, but that core-M processor is not up to much and I would be concerned it wouldn't last you well.

Sixth, poor. I'd avoid. Old machine, both my brothers got these when they were new and had hardware issues quickly. After replacing the hard drives I think they survived fine. But this machine is 4-5 years old. Not worth that money at all.

So all in all, I wouldn't buy any of these given what you've said you want. Let us know what your max budget is. I suggest looking on amazon.co.uk, or saveonlaptops.co.uk. You should be looking for a machine with a core i5 processor and 8GB of RAM minimum. An SSD is preferable but your budget might not stretch that far.

You mention you are a heavy computer user, but what exactly are you doing on it? Will you have to carry this machine around with you in college? If so you should look for something smaller/lighter than most you linked above. A 2.5kg 15.6" laptop is a major pain in the hole to carry all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW.
    My budget is 600E.
    Im a heavy computer user being I go on the internet a lot.
    Use word, pdf, documents etc. Office work. But nothing tech savy like programming or games. Yeah I plan to bring it around with me to colllege.
    I planned to go in the computer stores, but I figured they would be overpriced laptops there, but then again I could get them on the payment option. If such laptop that exists that is a must buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW.
    My budget is 600E.
    Im a heavy computer user being I go on the internet a lot.
    Use word, pdf, documents etc. Office work. But nothing tech savy like programming or games. Yeah I plan to bring it around with me to colllege.
    I planned to go in the computer stores, but I figured they would be overpriced laptops there, but then again I could get them on the payment option. If such laptop that exists that is a must buy.

Your usage sounds light, just basic tasks, even if you're on the system all day!

I would recommend you to look in shops, there is little value in what you posted above.

In my opinion you should be looking at a 13.3" laptop, or there abouts. Smaller size makes it easy to carry. Most are light and you would expect a long battery life out of most in this form factor. I would also recommend you buy new. You need this to last you a long time, buying an older machine now will mean it is harder to see it lasting the distance.

The following is the spec I would recommend:
    Processor: Intel, core i5 is preferable.
    RAM: 8GB at least.
    Disk: It is possible to get an SSD at this price point, an SSD will make almost any laptop lightning fast. However they typically wont have as much storage. 128GB would be very tight, 256GB would be serviceable. But I wouldn't be too afraid of going with a regular HDD of 500GB+ in size.
    Brands: Asus is my favourite but most should serve you well enough.

Second, its expensive for a 2 year old mid range laptop. Spec looks okay, but nothing fantastic. You can get a decent machine new for that money.

Fourth, maybe seems okay. Not sure about the seller or how this machine will be presented. As in, are they opening it and replacing the drive/memory to make it into the spec you order? Or are these just configurations Lenovo provide. Not sure I would go through ebay for a purchase like this. All that being said, spec is fine. 6th gen i5, 8gb of RAM and 500GB drive is probably best. But as I mentioned, I'd be wary.

I called these lot they said they will be selling it, as you put the options in i.e. 8gb RAM. They won't be modifying anything.

Fifth, I like Asus. I like this machine. But the spec is just crap, and the ad is far from clear. At some points it says 128GB SSD, and in others it says 256GB. And the same goes for the RAM, it mentions 8GB in the title, but 4GB in the description. It wouldn't be terrible with 256 and 8, but that core-M processor is not up to much and I would be concerned it wouldn't last you well.

The description is wrong the seller said. Its correct from the title.

I will be looking into the sites you mentioned with the specs I should go for, but in case I don't find one in the meantime, I would like a backup out of those 4, which ones the better option. Again thanks for taking time out.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.VEWEK.003-Acer-TravelMate-P459_2085447.html

I found this, and I think I should just stop it there, I take well to long to pick something for myself, whether it be a shoe or a phone to this. What do you think ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement