Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to upgrade to Kaby-Lake

Options
  • 23-08-2017 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Upcoming wedding will soon be passed and i will have cash again to put into my PC. Huzzah!

I want to upgrade from this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NTc3TH
    to a Kaby lake build.

Now, i haven't done much reading about it, other than i'd like to have a i7-7700k (better core speed than the Ryzen chips in an almost exclusively gaming build)

PC Partpicker is telling me that my current RAM will be running at too high voltages to be compatible, so i'm looking for suggestions please for a good motherboard and RAM to go with the 7700k and other parts in the build.

Someone might mention it, but i'd like to stick with the air-cooling. Quieter and actually gets better temperatures than the H80i i had before it!

Any ideas?

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's not even worth doing imo. A 7700k will only be around 20% faster than your current processor and at 60Hz you will see 0 difference in performance.

Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's not even worth doing imo. A 7700k will only be around 20% faster than your current processor and at 60Hz you will see 0 difference in performance.

Save your money.
    Or sell both monitors & get a single large display.
    How about the Asus MX34VQ (34", 3440x1440, 100Hz)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah it's really got to be a new monitor really. Upgrading the CPU would be utterly pointless on your current monitor - I'd say a decent 1440p (optional 144hz) display is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

BloodBath wrote: »

Save your money.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Or sell both monitors & get a single large display.
    How about the Asus MX34VQ (34", 3440x1440, 100Hz)?
    Yeah it's really got to be a new monitor really. Upgrading the CPU would be utterly pointless on your current monitor - I'd say a decent 1440p (optional 144hz) display is the way to go.

Cheers lads,

Hadn't considered that. I'll make that the next upgrade!

CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

My brother is still rocking a Sandybridge 2500K in the PC I built him in 2011 and hasn't felt the need to upgrade yet and he's a much bigger gamer than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpynchon

I'm running a 2500k with a 980ti on a 1440 monitor (Asus PG279Q) and can run all games on ultra with no noticeable drop in performance. I still haven't felt the need to upgrade. 'Tis a bit slow in transcoding though.

Advertisement