Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for teak for boat project

Options
  • 23-08-2017 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I am looking for some advice in locating a couple of sections of teak to replace gunwhale protectors. They are approx 180cm X 9cm X 2.5cm. The whole project has taken 4 weeks thus far and ill be at a standstill next week without these.

It seems teak is quite difficult to acquire in the conventional places. I did replace all the seats but was able to find teak lumber and just sanded for a whole day 😣😣 but the finish was worth it.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Even is someone could refer a professional boat builder who might be able to assist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

You can buy teak in bug chunks in dublin on what i believe is called old naas road in builders providers (mahons?) You pay per volume. Then i used sawmill located on a hill on other side of m50 to knocklyon. You should be able to find my thread anout repairing lake boat. Ps afterwards i been told that you can buy entire gunwals from shileen etc. And taking amount of work id go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 codeyeaid

MarcinG wrote: »
    You can buy teak in bug chunks in dublin on what i believe is called old naas road in builders providers (mahons?) You pay per volume. Then i used sawmill located on a hill on other side of m50 to knocklyon. You should be able to find my thread anout repairing lake boat. Ps afterwards i been told that you can buy entire gunwals from shileen etc. And taking amount of work id go that way.

Thanks so much Marcin. I purchase bulk piece to replace seats and it took me a full day to cut it to size........ that stuff is deadly to cut. I'll check out shileen and get back. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

guys in sawmill (they building wooden sheds and stuff cant remember name) will cut it for you "for free". i always left some beers there hope they were happy. but since i couldn't bend thick pieces i cut it to about 1cm thinck planks and sandwiched using epoxy. it was very dirty and expensive not to mention time consumed...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227671

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Abbey woods Baldoyle Ind Est

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Olive bumble

Can anyone tell me what timber to use on the keel of a lake boat or can I just go to a boat builders and buy one .Also the steel band to protect it.All help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

MarcinG wrote: »
    guys in sawmill (they building wooden sheds and stuff cant remember name) will cut it for you "for free". i always left some beers there hope they were happy. but since i couldn't bend thick pieces i cut it to about 1cm thinck planks and sandwiched using epoxy. it was very dirty and expensive not to mention time consumed...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227671

Probably Timbertrove?

Advertisement