Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options
  • 23-08-2017 5:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

iClarified are reporting that there will be an Apple Event on September 12th to announce the iPhone 8, 7s and 7s Plus.

Tuesday September 12th is the reported date, with tentative release date of September 22nd. (1st wave being US, UK and Australia i think)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Was just coming in here to ask if anyone had thoughts as to when it is. Bit later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has there been any leaked/guesstimated prices for the 8 or whatever it will be called here in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Has there been any leaked/guesstimated prices for the 8 or whatever it will be called here in Ireland?

The 7s is expected to cost about the same price as the 7, which currently starts at €780 and €920 for the 4.7 and 5.5 inch models respectively. But the iPhone 8 or "Pro" model with edge-to-edge display etc is expected to start at around $1200 USD or probably about the same in euro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is there rumoured to be much of a spec difference between the 7s and 8?

I have the 6 currently it's over 2 years old and I'm bad need of an upgrade. I've been holding out for September for the announcement to see what to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Loughc wrote: »

I have the 6 currently it's over 2 years old and I'm bad need of an upgrade. I've been holding out for September for the announcement to see what to get.

I'm the same. Have to use a battery pack constantly, the internal battery has 7% capacity left. I'm in the US just before Xmas & am holding out until then. I'm going to go to an apple store & see if they'll swap it out maybe giving me a spec bump to a 7, if they don't I'll go for the 7s (possibly the plus as I want to get portrait mode)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Loughc wrote: »

Afaik next to nothing about the 7s has come out, but I reckon probably not. The 8 will probably be mostly about the new form factor and OLED display.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm on the 5s and ready for a major upgrade now I'd said i would go to €900 for the 8 but €1200 is pushing it.

We will wait a few weeks and see what the specs are for all of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm on the 5s and ready for a major upgrade now I'd said i would go to €900 for the 8 but €1200 is pushing it.

We will wait a few weeks and see what the specs are for all of them.

Yea €900 was the top end of my budget too. Frustrating if I end up forking out for a 7s knowing it's essentially a generation old already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I reckon the 8 will be around €1000. Very expensive but that big screen is going to be hard to resist.

Wonder what deals will be available on contracts with the networks.

Would not be surprised to see 3 year contracts with lower up front amounts brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

If Sad Professor is right which I'm hoping he is there is great savings to be made even now and possibly more by the time it goes on sale due to the current sterling rates. And I think this is partly due to Apple generally not changing their pricing due to exchange rates. But it could be different when the iPhone 7s comes out.

For instance my figures show -

iPhone 7 plus 32gb IRE €919

iPhone 7 plus 32gb UK (Argos, Lisburn NI) €787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭PopTarts

What will the 7 drop to or what in devious years have older model dropped by?

Afaik next to nothing about the 7s has come out, but I reckon probably not. The 8 will probably be mostly about the new form factor and OLED display.

From what I have read the 8 will have:

A better camera
    Wireless charging
    Front Facing camera capable of Faceid (that's going to be a big feature)
    Bigger battery

I'm sure there'll be more. They'll have to something to justify the price difference.

Simon201 wrote: »
    If Sad Professor is right which I'm hoping he is there is great savings to be made even now and possibly more by the time it goes on sale due to the current sterling rates. And I think this is partly due to Apple generally not changing their pricing due to exchange rates. But it could be different when the iPhone 7s comes out.

For instance my figures show -

iPhone 7 plus 32gb IRE €919

iPhone 7 plus 32gb UK (Argos) €787 (Argos, Lisburn NI)

The 7s sterling price will definitely go up but probably not too much. I can see Apple increasing the Euro price as well to make up for the remainder of the low sterling that they don't want to inflict on UK buyers.

All this assumes, though, that there isn't a more radical price shake-up. Apple could also pull another one of their tricky price increases in which they force you buy the higher-end model by crippling the low-end one. They could also eliminate the middle storage tier.

murpho999 wrote: »
    From what I have read the 8 will have:

A better camera
    Wireless charging
    Front Facing camera capable of Faceid (that's going to be a big feature)
    Bigger battery

I'm sure there'll be more. They'll have to something to justify the price difference.

Yeah but at the same time if everyone decides the 8 is worth 1200 Apple will have a major problem. Jason Snell had a good piece a while ago suggesting that the higher price tag is part of a deliberate strategy to limit demand. This depends on the majority of people deciding that the 8 isn't worth the extra and making do with the 7s instead. Even as it stands, long delays for the 8 model are expected.

Also I'm not too sure about the facial-recognition feature being a major selling point given that it will be replacing Touch ID. A lot of people may see it as a backward step. And wireless charging will almost certainly involve buying another expensive accessory, which it's rumoured won't even be available at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

With sterling pretty good at the moment I imagine Belfast on launch day will be crammed.

naasrd wrote: »
    With sterling pretty good at the moment I imagine Belfast on launch day will be crammed.

Not so sure, Apple prices in the UK went up a good bit last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Storage options are being rumored to be 64gb, 256gb and 512.

64 could be manageable, currently have a 128gb and it's only half full, could probably manage the 64gb if i managed my storage a bit more, but i'm probably going to go for the middle option regardless like i normally do.

Saying that, if the only option available to me on launch day is a 64 gb i may have to just suck it up and go for it.

Latest leaked info on the 8.

Looks like it will be a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What are the chances Ireland will be in Tier 1 again, for the iPhone "8"? Im thinking extremely slim. Hoping it will be though.

I've been given the green light to get it, as my wife's 5s is just about hanging in there. She's going to take my iPhone 7 :D

mad muffin wrote: »
    What are the chances Ireland will be in Tier 1 again, for the iPhone "8"? Im thinking extremely slim. Hoping it will be though.

I've been given the green light to get it, as my wife's 5s is just about hanging in there. She's going to take my iPhone 7 :D

I think there's only going to be 4 million available worldwide at launch which is very little and it will ramp up after that.

Good negotiating with the wife there.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think there's only going to be 4 million available worldwide at launch which is very little and it will ramp up after that.

Good negotiating with the wife there.:pac:

Yes, but I fear it may end up costing me more than I had bargained for :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm still on the 6, and had planned on getting the new one. I'm hoping the humours about the price aren't true though. I don't think I could justify €1200 for one!

Some rumours today that the 8 will start at $1000, but that seems very low if the supply constraints are true. Apple will just be handing money to the black market who buy them and sell them for twice the price on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Heisenbug

Not bothered with the 8 at all. AMOLED screens still suffer from that 'burn in' affect. Don't think it's worth it personally.

I'll be happy with the 7s Plus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm in contract until May on a 7+ and will see if I'm buy sim free and wait. Probably wait. The days of me ha big cutting edge tech seem to be over as I'm not as interested as I used to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I only upgraded to the 7 last April but got the 128GB, I consistently do my upgrade half way through the cycle when they reduce in price a little bit. The GF's birthday is in October and she has started dropping hints already. The things we do for love.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If they just made a dual sim version (which I know they'll never do) I would be on board :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hey Folks,

I've a Iphone 6 thats barely hanging in there. I'm trying to flesh out my options here for launch of the 8.

If Ireland are tier 2 (I think we will be based upon stock) then I'll try and rock up to Belfast on launch day.

What are peoples experiences or pre ordering one when preorders are released to the store or parcel motel and if that fails just turning up at the store on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

we were tier 1 last year for the iPhone 7.

I've pre-ordered and picked up in Belfast, plus I've also not pre-ordered and bought up in Belfast. the only difference really is the pre-order guarantees a phone and a shorter queue.

I wouldn't really use parcel motel, even with their insurance. I've had one too many bad experiences with them and risking a €1000 phone with them is not a risk I'd take personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Heisenbug wrote: »
    Not bothered with the 8 at all. AMOLED screens still suffer from that 'burn in' affect. Don't think it's worth it personally.

I'll be happy with the 7s Plus.

If Apple are making the move to OLED screens you can bet you it meets their quality standards. wouldn't put it past them to have perfected the screen-tech with a manufacturer. I also haven't heard much about burn-in with recent samsung's etc.

Advertisement