Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I guess it's back to using passcode when using the phone on the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The delay reports were spot on too

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

not sure about face id. halloween costumes, wearing scarves, bike helmets ,skiing, neck snoods and sunglasses etc

will it unlock?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mad muffin wrote: »
    I guess it's back to using passcode when using the phone on the table?

Yea or you'll have to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

not sure about face id. halloween costumes, wearing scarves, bike helmets ,skiing, neck snoods and sunglasses etc

will it unlock?

Use the code then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not impressed at all with the X I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

It's not shipping next week either.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

awec wrote: »
    It's not shocking, it's just exactly what I expected and the same as other facial auth things on the market.

It is far less intuitive than using a finger print because they have to make the action to unlock deliberate enough for it not to be done accidentally. Bringing your phone up in front of your face is nowhere near as good as just touching a button.

In this case it seems apple wanted to ditch the home button and face id was the best thing they could come up with to replace touchid.

It is nothing special and IMO a very regressive step from a user experience point of view, but they offset it with a very nice screen.

I think you can't say until you have tried it or it has been properly reviewed.

will it unlock?

It'll unlock so long as your face it mostly unobstructed. Glasses will be fine. A scarf covering your lower face probably not.

When will it be available in Ireland???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wish they'd stop saying iPhone 10 is the future when a large segment of their pitch was animated ****ing emoji.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

It'll unlock so long as your face it mostly unobstructed. Glasses will be fine. A scarf covering your lower face probably not.

thats a load of bollox then really isn't it, in cold countries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

snowflaker wrote: »
    When will it be available in Ireland???

Didn't say.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

faceman wrote: »
    I wish they'd stop saying iPhone 10 is the future when a large segment of their pitch was animated ****ing emoji.

The emoji thing was annoying

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think you can't say until you have tried it or it has been properly reviewed.

They haven't announced anything that hasn't been done before. FaceID is not new and it suffers from the exact problems people have been talking about.

It is not terrible but finger print is much more intuitive and works better for most phone scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No mention of countries?

Mr.S wrote: »
    November if we are Tier 1.

Can't imagine we will be

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Could be 1200 plus here in 256 configuration.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, they should have started with the 10 including the internal improvements and then announced the 8.

Not shipping till November and probably in very limited numbers at that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Of course you glance at it, you don't need to put it at a specific angle and look straight at it though.

Exactly, when on the work desk for example

Genuinely interested to see how this will work, feel like fingerprint had finally got reliable. Not an apple user but interested to see why they went this way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Pretty ****ty that the X is so delayed. I thought we could order it this month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

snowflaker wrote: »
    Can't imagine we will be

Ireland is tier 1 for iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

No one left sitting down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I've always loved my apple tech but I'm sorry there's nothing about this X phone that's wows me

Face ID - meh fingerprint scanner just as good IMO

Animogis - gimmick

AR - seems gimcky bar for gamers can't see it being something massively ground breaking that it will be a must have

The wireless charging and edge to edge display is cool tho but not something I'm pushed on

I'm currently using an iPhone 6 after giving my Oneplus 3 to my sister

I can see myself being just as happy picking up an iPhone 6s/7 or getting a Oneplus 5 and being perfectly happy im not missing out

But to be fair phones and tablets have plateaued so no hate towards Apple and I hope ye enjoy your new phones :)

Ireland is tier 1 for iPhones.

Only that last time- that could change X has bigger delays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jesus I can't tell who my wife is without makeup best of luck to the phone

I think I will go with the 8 plus.

The 10 really didn't live up to pre hype at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It is because it's bringing facial recognition and tracking to the masses... which will lead into the incorporation for the next years to come. Augmented reality apps, facial recognition & tracking for other devices. Like the original iPhone, it's setting a direction for technology to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

There are some good saving to be had on previous gen iPhones. The iPhone 7 is a great buy at that price.

Advertisement