Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

awec wrote: »
    They haven't announced anything that hasn't been done before. FaceID is not new and it suffers from the exact problems people have been talking about.

It is not terrible but finger print is much more intuitive and works better for most phone scenarios.

It's new to Apple and doesn't work with a photograph unlike Samsung's attempt.

It looked pretty fast to me and accurate.

I don't see how people can complain about it until they have tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is because it's bringing facial recognition and tracking to the masses... which will lead into the incorporation for the next years to come. Augmented reality apps, facial recognition & tracking for other devices. Like the original iPhone, it's setting a direction for technology to follow.

No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

not sure about face id. halloween costumes, wearing scarves, bike helmets ,skiing, neck snoods and sunglasses etc

will it unlock?

Wow, did you hurt your fingers trying to scrape the end of that barrel? Imagine trying to ski with a phone?

I missed the iPhone 8 announcement, what is new in that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

naasrd wrote: »
    Wow, did you hurt your fingers trying to scrape the end of that barrel? Imagine trying to ski with a phone?

I've never gone skiing without my iPhone :D

I think I will go with the 8 plus.

The 10 really didn't live up to pre hype at all.

It's the exact same as the pre-hype.

Nothing was not flagged all ready so I don't see how you are disappointed.

If nothing had been leaked and they unexpectedly announced the X after the 8 whilst really expecting just a 7s and 7s Plus then everyone would be blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I've always loved my apple tech but I'm sorry there's nothing about this X phone that's wows me

4K 60fps is the only upgrade that interests me (but not enough to upgrade from my 7 Plus). It was rumoured last year when it would've been the first phone to shoot 4k at 60fps.

8 or X???

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

1349!!!

Bloody hell!

Store is back up.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's the exact same as the pre-hype.

Nothing was not flagged all ready so I don't see how you are disappointed.

If nothing had been leaked and they unexpectedly announced the X after the 8 whilst really expecting just a 7s and 7s Plus then everyone would be blown away.

By what?

The screen looks really nice but that's it.

DJi5SJyXcAIjPP1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It is because it's bringing facial recognition and tracking to the masses... which will lead into the incorporation for the next years to come. Augmented reality apps, facial recognition & tracking for other devices. Like the original iPhone, it's setting a direction for technology to follow.

It won't be bringing anything to the masses at $999

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

X looks pretty nifty. The extra screen real estate is definitely a welcome upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No it isn't.

Lemme guess, Samsung got there first with the S8?

Different implementation and clearly a much worse implementation given the fact it was hacked quite easily by just using a photo.

This is true facial tracking using IR sensors and dot pattern 3d mapping.
    emmetkenny wrote: »

Yeah people said the same thing about the original iPhone. And every iPhone since... and yet somehow people keep paying, don't they...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

€1179 for 64gb version in Ireland. Not a hope, I'm out.

£999 in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Mr.S wrote: »

3ab6f5adefa8830acf3fc9f7a451cd9a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

829 starting price seems steep for the 4.7” 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

emmetkenny wrote: »

Price is 1179 here.

$999 dollars is about €850 euro massive price discrepancy between here and the US. Disgraceful actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

Serious saving to be made getting this in the US for $999. Works out at €840

Different implementation and clearly a much worse implementation given the fact it was hacked quite easily by just using a photo.

Yeah people said the same thing about the original iPhone. And every iPhone since... and yet somehow people keep paying, don't they...

Samsung, Windows...

IR sensors in facial recognition is nothing new. Samsungs have it, Windows Hello has it. You can't really do facial recognition accurately without it.

Apple just put some nice marketing around it and people think they're doing something new with it.

barrier86 wrote: »
    Price is 1179 here.

$999 dollars is about €850 euro massive price discrepancy between here and the US. Disgraceful actually.

tax is after in US

Don't forget Irish prices include 23% vat whilst US prices exclude state and federal taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you used it yet? Has anyone got their hands on it yet? Or is it just the blurb that means its unhackable.

buyer2017 wrote: »
    Serious saving to be made getting this in the US for $999. Works out at €840

You need to add tax onto the US price.

barrier86 wrote: »
    Price is 1179 here.

You are forgetting American taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Masses indicates a large majority/high % uptake. At $999 it won't be any where close to that. The X will be for tech geeks and Apple diehards.

As someone said above the 7 will be a great buy now with the reduced price.

• Advertisement

Samsung, Windows...

IR sensors in facial recognition is nothing new. Samsungs have it, Windows Hello has it. You can't really do facial recognition accurately without it.

Apple just put some nice marketing around it and people think they're doing something new with it.

Sure Jan.

Advertisement