Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

barrier86 wrote: »
    Price is 1179 here.

$999 dollars is about €850 euro massive price discrepancy between here and the US. Disgraceful actually.

Here we go again. Happens every year. The $999 is without tax. The €1,179 includes 23%

So the correct price to be getting outraged about is $999 v €958 ($1,146 at today's exchange rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Our most expensive phone.....ever :(

1,349 euro for 256Gb. Equivalent to 1,614 US Dollars (xe.com) versus 1,149 price in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

awec wrote: »
    You need to add tax onto the US price.

Ok city tax in NY is 7% I think. Still works out €890

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tazium wrote: »
    Our most expensive phone.....ever :(

1,349 euro for 256Gb. Equivalent to 1,614 US Dollars (xe.com) versus 1,149 price in the US.

Those prices are literally off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Price is 1179 here.

$999 dollars is about €850 euro massive price discrepancy between here and the US. Disgraceful actually.

That $999 is probably pre-tax price in the US though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Alot of the 8 and 8+ hardware upgrades like wireless charging and Optical IS seem to just bring it in line with the likes of samsung and others. Nothing really ground breaking :(

And as for the iphone X screen? The Essential beat them to it by a few weeks :pac:

essential-phone-white.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Price is 1179 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

In bad coverage and can't load apple site can anyone advice the base price for the 4.7 6s and 7 with reductions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

buyer2017 wrote: »
    Ok city tax in NY is 7% I think. Still works out €890
    its nearly 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

256GB Space Grey X for me thank you very much :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a reason Apple didn't add facial recognition to iPhones when they could have done so years ago. Again, the technology here is nothing new.

The X isn't bad, still looks like a very good phone. I think Apple have run out of ideas for things they can deliver in their phones in the current price brackets and have been forced to introduce a newer, more expensive price bracket to give themselves room to innovate.

The screen looks amazing, there is no questioning that. The lack of a home button is absolutely fine, the gestures look intuitive. The lack of touchid is a regressive step and definitely one they didn't intend on making. If they hadn't removed the home button FaceID wouldn't exist on iPhone still.

Personally, it's just too expensive to be considered an upgrade from my 6s+, the screen isn't enough for me to consider an extra 400 odd quid on the old prices. If they iterate on it properly next year I could be really tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

awec wrote: »
    By what?

The screen looks really nice but that's it.

Full size screen, Super Retina HD display, no home button, improved camera , dual image stabilisation, faceid looks good to me, fast and wireless charging, processing power, improved battery.

I really don't know what people were looking for.

Anyhow, people say the same thing ever year about every model and they sell in the millions.

That 256gb price is ridiculous.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Full size screen, Super Retina HD display, no home button, improved camera , dual image stabilisation, faceid looks good to me, fast and wireless charging, processing power, improved battery.

I really don't know what people were looking for.

Anyhow, people say the same thing ever year about every model and they sell in the millions.

You can get all that at much lower price points. The price is just saddening. There is no excuses for it

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I didn't think I'd be shocked by the price, but I am.

And you can't get a stainless steel watch in Ireland anymore either.

And the cellular versions not coming either, only on EE in the U.K.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    its nearly 9%

Ok. So €910 is the corect figure as of today exchange rate. Still €240 cheaper than here for the 64gb version. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

buyer2017 wrote: »
    Ok. So €910 is the corect figure as of today exchange rate. Still €240 cheaper than here for the 64gb version. Crazy.

Did you add taxes to that too?

listermint wrote: »
    You can get all that at much lower price points. The price is just saddening. There is no excuses for it

You can't get it on an Apple iPhone though and that's what you're paying for.

Apple are dearer with everything they sell.

Look at their laptops.

• Advertisement

There was rumour that Apple would price the X way higher as supply is extremely limited. Rumour is 10,000 per day is all that being produced, and if it was priced lower they would be shortages for many months.

Passenger wrote: »
    Did you add taxes to that too?

Yes , the 8.875% NY sales tax is included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Patww79 wrote: »
    Really just a dig at apples "innovation"
    Wasn't suggesting it could compete hardware/software wise.;)

murpho999 wrote: »
    You can't get it on an Apple iPhone though and that's what you're paying for.

Apple are dearer with everything they sell.

Look at their laptops.

Im not sure what point your making. It's the folks buying it are allowing them to laugh at their customers.

Its self fulfilling selling old ideas to people putting a big price on it and telling them its exclusive.

That's it in a nutshell. If your in the club your cool be in the club.

Head scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When will we know when the iPhone X will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

AidenL wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd be shocked by the price, but I am.

And you can't get a stainless steel watch in Ireland anymore either.

And the cellular versions not coming either, only on EE in the U.K.

The non-cellular version is basically obsolete with the launch of the series 3 cellular version.
    Why on earth would you buy a non-cellular version when the cellular version for a few extra bob allows you to do so much more. It’s a really bad bad decision by Apple and smacks of greed. There’s no chance jobs would have allowed 2 versions to be released and split the user base.
    Fair enough launch the cellular version and roll it out on a country by country version while offering the series 2 for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Mr.S wrote: »

Jaysus

For the 128GB version you could get the whole family new good spec smartphones and a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Headshot wrote: »
    When will we know when the iPhone X will be released?

Pre order on the 27th Oct ships on the 3rd Nov.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Price inflation again. The base model just gets more and more expensive every year. 8% increase in 12 months.

Without any real innovation to deliver they're just polishing around the edges now and squeezing their premium userbase as much as they think they can get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tax prices vary in the States from place to place so instead of adding 8 or 9% to their price, we should knock off 23% off ours to do the correct comparison.

So our €1,179 is really €958 which is $1,146 at today's rate. So we're really paying about $147 more than them which when you take currency fluctuations and the usual cross border/shipping and other economic factors that I know nothing about into consideration, the difference is probably on a par with any other US good worth $1,000 sold here.

Advertisement