Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Am I the only one asking how it's innovative to have apple pay authenticate by having to put your phone up to your face instead if finger ID....

I just don't see how that is thinking about the end user.

Its just not

• Registered Users Posts: 60,708 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Face ID just isn't up to scratch for many peoples needs I'm betting and Touch will be back in force with the next years new model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

listermint wrote: »
    Am I the only one asking how it's innovative to have apple pay authenticate by having to put your phone up to your face instead if finger ID....

Its just not

Exactly. By the time my phone is in front of me it's already touch unlocked and I'm swiping at notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its just not

Fingerprint is the way to go I think and I don't see many of the other brands changing from it anytime soon.

I think the facial recognition is an innovation where it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Woah iPhone 7 32g just reduced by €130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Its just not
    you're not putting the phone to your face, apple were very intentional with their wording. "you double tap the side button, look at your phone, then place it on the terminal" if you look at the demo Craig did, it looked just as seamless as placing your thumb on the touchId sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Face ID just isn't up to scratch for many I'm betting and Touch will be back in force with the next years new model.

Biding their time until they get the touch behind glass screen working.

And then they'll tell you it's more unhackable than facial id :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Interesting to see how the Irish carriers will handle this. Being able to keep handset price under 300 allows them to sell a lot of 24 month contracts. But if this thing is going to be 700 upfront....

Patww79 wrote: »
    The got caught out by thinking earlier in development they'd be able to embed the scanner in the screen and are compromising with a plan B now. Same thing happened Samsung and they ended up shoving their scanner up beside the camera where you can't reach it. Not sure which is worse. Both should have taken a leaf from Sony's book.

Your not wrong. Needs to be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I'm going for a 64GB silver X really like the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Jaysus

For the 128GB version you could get the whole family new good spec smartphones and a tablet.

Kenny, why are your family so poor? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

If they had have included 1 year Apple Music subscription , or upgrade to 200gb iCloud storage with the X then this price would be a lot easier to swallow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

1578 for 256 X with Apple care plus. Them margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

why call it 10? makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

peteeeed wrote: »
    why call it 10? makes no sense

10th anniversary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Nice enough phone but for the IPX the minimum should have been 128gb. 64gb is taking the piss considering how cheap storage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,708 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So look at your phone and swipe up to open is what he was doing and saying on every occasion he showed how to unlock it with Face ID.

So you need to look and swipe that's a lot more hassle than putting my finger on the home button in my pocket and have the screen open by the time I look at my phone as it gets out of my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Yeah it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

10th anniversary

what about next years version?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Over a grand for the phone and that doesn't include the wireless charging pad, thats hard to swallow,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    It was more how high he raised it to his face, a lot different then just using TouchID.
    I guess that was to ensure it definitely worked especially after the initial face unlock didn't work. the rumours were all true about this thing, there was a rumour about it detecting at wide angles so hopefully it will be better. until I see it in the flesh I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So look at your phone and swipe up to open is what he was doing and saying on every occasion he showed how to unlock it with Face ID.

So you need to look and swipe that's a lot more hassle than putting my finger on the home button in my pocket and have the screen open by the time I look at my phone as it gets out of my pocket.

I was saying this exact crap earlier on and people were telling me faceid would be miles better and work from tight angles.. touchid is far far better at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Take my money now please

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

you're not putting the phone to your face, apple were very intentional with their wording. "you double tap the side button, look at your phone, then place it on the terminal" if you look at the demo Craig did, it looked just as seamless as placing your thumb on the touchId sensor.

Deliberately look at your phone, at a specific angle. A very quick glance will not work.

It is demonstrably not as seamless as touchid.

Again, there is a reason Apple didn't add faceid to iphones years ago. It is an inferior UX to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

64GB is nowhere near future proof for such and expensive device. For many users it will even feel tight from day 1.

Yes with cloud storage people can offload their music. But:
    - the actual space available to the user is about 10gb less than the capacity of the phone
    - some apps (especially games, but not only) are becoming huge - 1 to 2GB is not uncommon those days
    - those 4K videos take a lot of space an even if you have enough cloud storage they won't stream that will over 4G so the phone will keep local copies
    - music streaming apps do like a bit of space for caching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

I dont know which to get :-(

Advertisement