Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

I've a Iphone 6 thats barely hanging in there. I'm trying to flesh out my options here for launch of the 8.

If Ireland are tier 2 (I think we will be based upon stock) then I'll try and rock up to Belfast on launch day.

What are peoples experiences or pre ordering one when preorders are released to the store or parcel motel and if that fails just turning up at the store on launch day.

I've used Parcel Motel before for the 6 or 6s i think.

Ireland was Tier 1 last year, so i just got one from the carrier(Eir Business).

This year I'm gonna try and pre order on apple.co.uk and try and get one for in store collection in Belfast on Launch Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...you can bet you it meets their quality standards.

I don't know about quality testing; remember the bent iPhone 6? I'd definitely wait a few weeks before making a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The early 6S had that battery issue as well. Both my brother and sister had that issue after buying phones within a month of launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

If Apple are making the move to OLED screens you can bet you it meets their quality standards. wouldn't put it past them to have perfected the screen-tech with a manufacturer. I also haven't heard much about burn-in with recent samsung's etc.

Plenty of reports from S8 users of burn in (Google search confirms - Reddit, Android Authority). Samsung are providing Apple with OLED screens.

Yes, Apple have high standards - they all do, but like most others, they've had their share of issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I usually order a new iPhone on launch day every year but I'm not buying into it this year.

€1000 - €1200 is too much to pay for a phone, whether it's the best or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Of course there will be issues, you can't expect flawless manufacturing of 70million + phones between the start of August and the end of December, ensuring that the 100's of components inside each one will not have an issue, it's just not physically possible.

What I was more getting at is like biometrics (and the impending loss of TouchId in favour of PearlId), the screen is a core part of an iPhone. they won't replace what they have (IPS LCD) if they haven't deemed that the replacement is good enough for whatever standard they hold themselves to.

It's also been reported that Sharp, LG and Samsung have been rumoured to supply the OLED panels, who actually does we'll have to wait for the iFixIt teardown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

With the euro so strong against the dollar and pound, we should be seeing a reduction in the prices?

HAHAHAAAAA!!!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

mad muffin wrote: »
    With the euro so strong against the dollar and pound, we should be seeing a reduction in the prices?

HAHAHAAAAA!!!!! :pac:

Prices are a one-way street as far as Ireland is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Event now confirmed via an Apple invite. First ever event held in the new Apple campus too. This is definately going to be one of the more interesting ones, with the changes to the iPhone lineup rumoured so far.

Worse part is the rumoured prices, $1,000 seems to be the common price rumoured which means about €1,200 for Ireland, but probably €1,279 knowing how Apple price things for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a feeling the lowest storage will be sub €1,000. I suppose all shall be revealed on the 12th.

I've a feeling it'll hit $999 for the 64GB entry model. It keeps it under the $1,000+ number people will have in their minds. It also sets it apart as a premium model from the 7s Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

DubDJ wrote: »
    <SNIP>

$1,000 seems to be the common price rumoured which means about €1,200 for Ireland, but probably €1,279 knowing how Apple price things for us.

$1,000 = about €840 while €1200 = about $1430

I hope it won't go to that, but if it does, I see an overnight in NYC in my future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

OU812 wrote: »

I hope it won't go to that, but if it does, I see an overnight in NYC in my future.

You've got to remember that the US price is quoted without VAT so if it is $1,000 for the base model and you do a straight euro/dollar conversion, your €840 is already up to €1,033. Then factor in the usual extra charge we get stung with and you could be up to the €1,200 mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Totally forgot the taxes. Maybe an overnight in London so (if Sterling keeps going the same direction)

Also need to factor in that Apple are conservative in what exchange rate they use. I've no idea what one they use but I wouldn't be shocked if there's a 5c-10c difference to account for fluctuations throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Totally forgot the taxes. Maybe an overnight in London so (if Sterling keeps going the same direction)

Surely any savings are more than cancelled out by travel expenses. Travel and overnights in New York and London would cost hundreds of Euros to save about €20-€50 on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Given this is the 10th year of the iPhone, what are the chances of

7s = iPhone 8
    7s Plus = iPhone 9
    8 = iPhone 10

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely any savings are fmore than cancelled out by travel expenses. Ytavel and overnights in New York and London would cost hundreds of Euros to save about €20-€50 on the phone.

Yup good luck getting flights, hotel for anywhere near one of the stores for 400 for the flight and another 300-400$ for the hotel. Not to mention the lines even for pre-orders in the States are completely unlike anything here.

If you're going to travel anywhere, an overnight in Belfast would be the much better option even though the phone may be more expensive due to exchange rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Yup good luck getting flights, hotel for anywhere near one of the stores for 400 for the flight and another 300-400$ for the hotel. Not to mention the lines even for pre-orders in the States are completely unlike anything here.

If you're going to travel anywhere, an overnight in Belfast would be the much better option even though the phone may be more expensive due to exchange rate.

Not that I'm advising this but wondering for anyone interested would the new Addrespal USA be of any use?

• Advertisement

I'm hoping all the rumours were wrong and Apple don't jack up the price as much this year. With Samsung's latest S8 and Note 8 being so expensive I can easily see Apple pushing for the higher price.

Apple's current iPhone 7 Plus works out as around €647 when converted without any taxes. The same iPhone on the Irish store is around €747 when you remove the 23% VAT from the price. Still €100 more expensive so I can definately see the iPhone 8 having at least €100 premium as well as the 23% VAT. Works out around €1155 and Apple will always round up.

€1,200 is not too far off, if it's more than $1000 then it could be even worse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Not that I'm advising this but wondering for anyone interested would the new Addrespal USA be of any use?

If you look at the AddressPal thread in Online Buying and auctions, I don't think you'd be even suggesting this. And they only insure up top €40.

gizmo81 wrote: »

It will get stung for customs, VAT and import duty, again making it very much not worth it.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you look at the AddressPal thread in Online Buying and auctions, I don't think you'd be even suggesting this. And they only insure up top €40.
    It will get stung for customs, VAT and import duty, again making it very much not worth it.

Ah fair enough, I haven't had time to look into it in detail.

Will have a look at the thread.Thanks

No worries, it comes up every year with these threads.

There are ways to get the iPhone cheaper but it usually involves doing things that are in a bit of a grey area that boards don't like discussion and even then to really save you'd have to happen to be in that country on work or something (i.e. not paying the fare yourself) to get any worthy saving.

No worries, it comes up every year with these threads.

There are ways to get the iPhone cheaper but it usually involves doing things that are in a bit of a grey area that boards don't like discussion and even then to really save you'd have to happen to be in that country on work or something (i.e. not paying the fare yourself) to get any worthy saving.

i have bought most of my Apple products through the Belfast store as I see it as a day out rather than adding to the price of the product.

I really hope they don't inflate the exchange rate because at the moment on Apple UK vs Apple IE sites there's over €100 in difference for the iPhone 7.

I'll be in NY later in the year but for my watch by the time the City tax was added it wasn't that cheap so I got it in France in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If anyone is planning to go the NYC, then jump on a train to Wilmington DE, there is an Apple Store in the Christiana Mall and DE is a tax free state so there is no additional cost.
    Wife has given me permission to buy it as she wants my 7+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

smurfjed wrote: »
    If anyone is planning to go the NYC, then jump on a train to Wilmington DE, there is an Apple Store in the Christiana Mall and DE is a tax free state so there is no additional cost.
    Wife has given me permission to buy it as she wants my 7+.

I understand everyone trying to save a few quid and I totally get the 'better in my pocket than theirs' but with sales tax in NYC being 8.875%, you're getting a $1,000 phone for $88 cheaper by going to Delaware. Say it costs $20-25 for the train ticket, is it really worth a 4-5 hour round trip just to save $60?

If I was in NY for only a few days and considering the costs in getting/staying there I'd have better ways of spending half a day. $60 in the whole scheme of things is minuscule considering the rest of money you're spending. I'd prefer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It will be interesting to see if the rumours of the loss of TouchID are true and how Apple are going to get around it. I know Face ID has been mention plus with new swipe gestures.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Say it costs $20-25 for the train ticket

You won't get a train ticket in the north east of the USA for under $70-100. Trains are just as expensive as flying in the states, sometimes even more so.

Advertisement