Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Headshot wrote: »
    When will we know when the iPhone X will be released?
    Pre-order 27/10 - release 03/11. So Apple is using 1 to 1 FX from USD to GBP and 1.1 to EUR.

Some crazy pricing in here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Bob24 wrote: »
    64GB is nowhere near future proof for such and expensive device. For many users it will even feel tight from day 1.

Yes with cloud storage people can offload their music. But:
    - the actual space available to the user is about 10gb less than the capacity of the phone
    - some apps (especially games, but not only) are becoming huge - 1 to 2GB is not uncommon those days
    - those 4K videos take a lot of space an even if you have enough cloud storage they won't stream that will over 4G so the phone will keep local copies
    - music streaming apps do like a bit of space for caching

Also was reading online that 64gb of 4k 60fps footage will be around 35-40 minutes. Like I said storage is cheap but have 64gb as base model on a €1k+ phone is an insult to customers. But no doubt a heck of a lot will be sold purely by the marketing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Not having the fingerprint scanner probably means I won't buy it. I went from iPhone 7 to the Samsung S8 this year and the thing I miss most is how good the fingerprint scanner was on the iPhone 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

1578 for 256 X with Apple care plus. Them margins.

They might have managed to price me out. I could spend 1500 on a phone if I was convinced I'll get 3-4 years of use without ever feeling like I want to upgrade it (which is the case when I buy a MacBook Pro). But I don't see it happening on this one.

And before someone mentions it ... to be clear I do understand the phone will work and be supported for 4 years. But the feature gap compared to the current model and performance gap with the latest version of iOS will start to be significant after 2-3 years, which I don't find is the case with a MacBook Pro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

how do you unlock it in the dark? or at a disco with lots of lights and lasers, or in a smokey area or when you are dripping wet with rain. or you grow a beard etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Aluminium only options for watch now. Is it a "cellular" only option now, hence not being here or are they (steel) gone. Thought I saw leaks about a grey ceramic edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Safe to say I won't be parting with my hard earned for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how do you unlock it in the dark? or at a disco with lots of lights and lasers, or in a smokey area or when you are dripping wet with rain. or you grow a beard etc

Watch the event. They mentioned three out of the four scenarios you mention.

Dark scenes
    From the pool (face wet)
    Beard

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's infrared, the demo Apple did is a bit misleading, it doesn't actually look at photos of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,708 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Take my money now please

PM me your bank details and I'll happily take it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,708 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I got an XBox One S for the same price as the 4K Apple TV 32GB.

I'm quite annoyed at Apple for taking the piss with their pricing strategy ... and I am not just taking about the X which I get is meant as a luxury model.

Lets go back to the 8 which is an incremental update over the 7.

Last year I got the second model of the 7 in terms of capacity for 889 euros (already a fairly large price increase over previous years).

This year if you want the second model of the 8 you have to shell out 999 euros, a hell of an increase! (and that is with the euro having significantly appreciated vs the dollar over the past year, the increase is not due to changing exchange rates which should have caused the opposite).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Given the price of the 7 Plus now, what do people think a immaculate 7 Plus 128 Gb is worth, 700? Could be tempted for the X is I could recoup that from my current phone, but otherwise its too much a bitter pill to take

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The mark-up must be huge.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm quite annoyed at Apple for taking the piss with their pricing strategy ... and I am not just taking about the X which I get is meant as a luxury model.

Lets go back to the 8 which is an incremental update over the 7.

Last year I got the second model of the 7 in terms of capacity for 889 euros (already a fairly large price increase over previous years).

This year if you want the second model of the 8 you have to shell out 999 euros, a hell of an increase! (and that is with the euro having significantly appreciated vs the dollar over the past year, the increase is not due to changing exchange rates which should have caused the opposite).

I don't think the 8 is aimed at 7 users, it's aimed at 6 and 6s users.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm an apple fan and have to say I'm underwhelmed by x. Lovely screen and all, but the face ID is a step backwards. Also, feckin emojis?!? I got worried when I saw them, pure gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Kagawa wrote: »
    Given the price of the 7 Plus now, what do people think a immaculate 7 Plus 128 Gb is worth, 700? Could be tempted for the X is I could recoup that from my current phone, but otherwise its too much a bitter pill to take

200 less than a brand new one? Optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How long do you reckon before they start cropping the notch out for videos. I'm saying they'll have it altered by Christmas. It's a bizarre decision not to.

Apple sells them for 900 new with warranty so I think 700 for a one year old model is a bit optimistic even in mint condition (you might get close to it if you have AppleCare+ on it but I am not sure you can reach that amount).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Apple sells them for 900 new with warranty so I think 700 for a one year old model is a bit optimistic even in mint condition (you might get close to it if you have AppleCare+ on it but I am not sure you can reach that amount).

Yeah, I did think that was optimistic, I do have AppleCare+ though, so that might make it easier alright. I'll have to have a think about it, also the lead time for the X will probably be nuts so I'm not sure I want to go through that either.

• Advertisement

Also, feckin emojis?!? I got worried when I saw them, pure gimmick.

Yes! - this kind of stuff in a demo makes me wonder how old/mature the target audience is meant to be :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

emoji sell phones and more importantly make people upgrade the OS. it's simple, it may not be for all of us but it works. It's also ok that it's not for all of us, just like a Rose Gold 12.9" iPad Pro isn't for everyone.

Yeah, I did think that was optimistic, I do have AppleCare+ though, so that might make it easier alright. I'll have to have a think about it, also the lead time for the X will probably be nuts so I'm not sure I want to go through that either.

On the other hand I think the high price will balance demand. Still a lot of people will want it, but I think if you're onto Apple's website as soon as they start preorders you'll get one quickly. I guess Ireland won't be in the first wave of countries though.

awec wrote: »
    I don't think the 8 is aimed at 7 users, it's aimed at 6 and 6s users.

I'm just comparing the price to last year's similar model to point out how much they have increased, not discussing whether it is a worthy upgrade.

But yeah for a 7 user I think either you keep it or you just straight to the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

On the other end I think the high price will balance demand. Still a lot of people will want it, but I think if you're onto Apple's website as soon as they start preorders you'll get one quickly. I guess Ireland won't be in the first wave of countries though.

It is pre order the 27/10 availiable 3/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone know can you do a store pick up on 22nd in the US if you pre-order on 15th ?

Mr.S wrote: »

LOL

"If someone steals your phone, you might want to keep your eyes closed"

Yes, a few security issues to be ironed out by Apple, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Yes! - this kind of stuff in a demo makes me wonder how old/mature the target audience is meant to be :-s

Thats exactly it its targeted at kids and teenagers. but adults with somewhat of an IQ will never use this rubbish.

jonon9 wrote: »
    Thats exactly it its targeted at kids and teenagers. but adults with somewhat of an IQ will never use this rubbish.

Sure adults love all that shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I'd it's an attempt to get people back to imessaging rather than whatspp or viber

Advertisement