Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

jonon9 wrote: »
    Thats exactly it its targeted at kids and teenagers. but adults with somewhat of an IQ will never use this rubbish.

Do teenagers watch the keynotes in large numbers though? Maybe they do but I didn't really think so.

To me this kind of thing damages the Apple brand. I understand why the do it, but their senior management behaving like clowns on stage make me wonder what the priorities of the company are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

F34 wrote: »
    I'd it's an attempt to get people back to imessaging rather than whatspp or viber

Pretty much, it's a relatively quick and cheap way of demoing the camera tech and from Apples point of view will hopefully encourage people to use iMessage (which based on my own experience nobody uses).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bob24 wrote: »
    Do teenagers watch the keynotes in large numbers though? Maybe they do but I didn't really think so.

No but when their friend sends them an emoji they don't have, they see it and then they want it and will update/upgrade phones to have it. It's viral and I hate using that word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Bob24 wrote: »

To me this kind of thing damages the Apple brand. I understand why the do it, but their senior management behaving like clowns on stage make me wonder what the priorities of the company are.

Who knows but I can see this been pushed by Apple as a "feature" and it will be everywhere, kids and teen will pick up on it faster than one might think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As long as iMessage is only available on Apple devices it'll never fully compete with stuff like WhatApp no matter what kind of emojis it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dades wrote: »
    As long as iMessage is only available on Apple devices it'll never fully compete with stuff like WhatApp no matter what kind of emojis it offers.

Even more reason for the uninitiated to convert. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Watch the event. They mentioned three out of the four scenarios you mention.

Dark scenes
    From the pool (face wet)
    Beard
    the beard one lets be real the lad had a bit of stubble. Be interested to see how it would work with a more fuller beard.while not the same thing the facial recognition on the photos app had me down as two different people, with and without a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the beard one lets be real the lad had a bit of stubble. Be interested to see how it would work with a more fuller beard.while not the same thing the facial recognition on the photos app had me down as two different people, with and without a beard.

Hipsters wouldn't be caught dead with an Apple product would they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Declaration, I'm an s8 user.

A couple of points on the x, the first being the black indent on the top. Assuming the top left and right show the key notification symbols, where do the rest go? Looking at the demo of the weather page, I think the black bar would have my ocd in overdrive.

Moving from an s7 to an s8, my biggest fear was the loss of the physical home button. Thankfully the virtual button with vibration feedback works well. Is there an equivilant on the x?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

how do you unlock it in the dark? or at a disco with lots of lights and lasers, or in a smokey area or when you are dripping wet with rain. or you grow a beard etc

It works on infrared light not normal light so these things will not be a problem.

Do you think Apple haven't thought of all of this stuff and you mention it they'll go "Damn, never thought of that in the last few years of development?"

No but when their friend sends them an emoji they don't have, they see it and then they want it and will update/upgrade phones to have it. It's viral and I hate using that word

Yeah sure I understand why Apple includes the feature in iOS. Just not why they spend time showing an animated piece of excrement tracking one of their executive's face during a keynote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mr.S wrote: »
    iOS 11.1 to shutdown when a scared face is detected

Also not aiming for the female burka wearing muslim market.

Patww79 wrote: »
    They are missing a trick.

Virtually every type of social group I belong to has a dedicated WhatsApp list. It's like SnapChat for adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Patww79 wrote: »
    Android journalists are always crying out for iMessage to come to android handsets, but the Americans seem to never have heard of WhatsApp.

Weird that. Considering an American company spent 19billion buying it...

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I like having a headphone jack and removable storage..

Whatever about the headphone jack (a wired headphone can still be used with an iPhone) I don't get the need for removable storage in this age of cloud services.

Much safer and cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is there not going to be a 3G or 4G indicator?

Or battery percentage?

• Advertisement

The only problem I can see is it you regularly cover your face e.g. Helmet, ski mask, scarf etc. Plus whatever way you look at it, it's more effort then touchID. Not really a big problem and I'm sure it works fine.

A ski mask.....seriously?

In the cases of skiing or motor bike helmet you will have gloves on so you'd have the same problem with touch id.

You can also unlock with a pin.

I think the community without fingers are delighted with this development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

Yes definitely. A platform specifying messaging app can never become as ubiquitous as one which covers all plateforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Face ID looks to be a step backwards, always been a huge fan of touch ID and how flawlessly it works. Going to be ordering the 8 plus 64gb on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I've got a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. I've got a 128gb memory card with lots of 4k stuff on it. Also I've got ps1 and Nintendo emulators. Not to mention thousands of songs. And I can listen to music and charge my phone at the same time..

Sure you can get one of those Apple wireless charging mats as demoed earlier.

You're missing the point, it's more about having to be functionally aware and raising towards your face, yes it works and touchID has limitations (gloves) but it all feels very meh and just something Apple settled with because they couldn't figure out touchID on glass, big reason why we don't see FaceID on the 8. TouchID is far less "in your face" :D

Not sure I agree there. I think it's too early to judge how well it works in practice. Both have stronger and weaker spots (not only gloves for Touch ID but also slighlty wet fingers) and it will tale some practice to have a better informed opinion. But based on the demo one concern I have is that the process seems slower than the latest generation Touch ID sensors (which would be a step back no matter what but partly explained because one technology is more mature than the other).

I've got a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. I've got a 128gb memory card with lots of 4k stuff on it. Also I've got ps1 and Nintendo emulators. Not to mention thousands of songs. And I can listen to music and charge my phone at the same time..

You can store all the stuff on the internet. What would happen if you lost that memory card or corrupted it.

Songs are done most though streaming now, I have no music on my phone nowadays. Not required.

Charging and listening to music is an issue as you say but I use Bluetooth so no problem and wireless charging is coming too.

Despite the spin, I also think FaceID is their way of getting over the unavailability of touch ID. It's not an improvement, but a very technologically advanced hack.

I do like having the phone unlocked by the time you get it out of your pocket without having to execute any action.

But yeah, I'd deal with it for a full surface screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What the initial feedback on what we know about the iPhone X? It looks stunning. I'd be tempted to make the move back to Apple.

• Advertisement

Despite the spin, I also think FaceID is their way of getting over the unavailability of touch ID. It's not an improvement, but a very technologically advanced hack.

I do like having the phone unlocked by the time you get it out of your pocket without having to execute any action.

But yeah, I'd deal with it for a full surface screen!

Agree but it really depends on the speed and tolerance to where the user's face is located. If it can reach a point whereby it instantly identifies that you are looking at the phone's screen even from strange angles and automatically unlock it, it will be better than Touch ID in my opinion as it will truly require not user action and cause no lag. But based on the Demos it is currently far from being there.

I think Face ID might be a better long term solution, but they possibly decided to roll-it out before it is mature enough to be superior to Touch ID in every way because as you said they needed a hack to compensate for not being able to build Touch ID into the screen.

Advertisement