Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What the initial feedback on what we know about the iPhone X? It looks stunning. I'd be tempted to make the move back to Apple.

Get and S8 or a note

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Dades wrote: »
    Despite the spin, I also think FaceID is their way of getting over the unavailability of touch ID. It's not an improvement, but a very technologically advanced hack.

I do like having the phone unlocked by the time you get it out of your pocket without having to execute any action.

But yeah, I'd deal with it for a full surface screen!

It will still require the swipe up gesture then look to unlock.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Has the Apple Watch dropped in price?

Series 3 42mm case is showing as €399. Was the Series 2 not €479?

Version with Cellular not on Irish website but shows as €479 on German website.

We all really don't know how good or bad Face ID will be until we see some proper reviews. Id like to see some more info on the fast charging capable function it comes with.

murpho999 wrote: »

Yeah I think so I have the Nike AW it was €479 for the 42mm it's now €409 for the series 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes and no I guess. On the US website Series 3 without cellular is cheaper than Series 2 at launch, and Series 3 with cellular is more expensive.

And for some reason the Irish price for Series 2 was higher than in other European countries. I think Germany was probably 449 or something like that.

Note as well that the euro has appreciated vs the dollar since last year's launch so prices in euros should in theory drop compared if prices in dollars remain the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

From what I gathered from the keynotes, I don't think the cellular watch will work here. There was a slide showing that it will only work on EE network in U.K as an example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Marty Bird wrote: »
    It will still require the swipe up gesture then look to unlock.
    That's what I'm unsure about.

I assume picking up or tapping the screen wakes it up. Then you FaceID it - what then? Does the homescreen appear or do you need to swipe up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,707 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Every time he looked at the phone for Face ID he kept saying then you swipe up.

That to me sounded and looked like a two stage unlocking process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Has the 7plus got any cheaper? I'm on a 5 right now, and really need to upgrade. Price of the X and that status bar has put me right off that option.

Bazsutto wrote: »
    From what I gathered from the keynotes, I don't think the cellular watch will work here. There was a slide showing that it will only work on EE network in U.K as an example.

It definitely won't work with Irish networks for now. It has a bulit-in electronic simcard which has to be setup to mirror the same phone number as your main simcard. This will require specific support from the network to have it setup (and will probably incur an additional monthly cost).

I understand why they're going that way in a small device like this, but I hope they don't get rid of simcards in their phones as it would reduce consumer freedom.

Has the 7plus got any cheaper? I'm on a 5 right now, and really need to upgrade. Price of the X and that status bar has put me right off that option.

Yes it has. If you're someone who tends to keep your devices for a few years it might also be worth looking at the 8 plus though as the internals seem similar to the X so it might be more future proof than the 7 plus in terms of performance.

That to me sounded and looked like a two stage unlocking process.
    Yikes. Unless the FaceID process is utterly seamless that is a UX fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

From a technical standpoint, on the iPhone 7 it's also a two step process. If you rest your finger on the button it unlocks the phone. Only when you press the button does the phone bring you to your springboard.

Granted, this is more fluid and a better UX but it's still a two step process.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,707 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would say it will open from just a look.

But after it failed to open with the first phone I would say he panicked a bit and used a two stage unlocking so it wouldn't fail again on the demo.

Well I'd hope that's all it was.

I would say it will open from just a look.

But after it failed to open with the first phone I would say he panicked a bit and used a two stage unlocking so it wouldn't fail again on the demo.

Well I'd hope that's all it was.

No I looked at it again he demonstrated how fast it was twice an both time required the swipe up gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I guess the reason it doesn't unlock just by looking at it is you might only want to check lock-screen notifications.

Either way, it should be an on/off feature to require the swipe to unlock it. I myself would just prefer if it unlocked by looking at it.

Gonna stay with the iPhone 8, safer upgrade. With the price point of the iPhone X, I'm not willing to take the gamble on the Face ID feature being a head melter. No pun intended. Will wait for reviews, improvements and maybe take a look next year. Again, no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd say you can change it in accessibility. Just like you can change from press to unlock to rest finger to unlock. We'll see…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

It works on infrared light not normal light so these things will not be a problem.

If anyone has an XBox 360 with the Kinect bar - try turning out the room lights and looking around the room using the camera of an Android phone (the iphone may not work because of its ir filters)

The room is lit up like a disco with thousands of ir dots - this is the depth sensors.

Seems to be the same technology now on IPhone but miniturised.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Bonavox wrote: »
    From a technical standpoint, on the iPhone 7 it's also a two step process. If you rest your finger on the button it unlocks the phone. Only when you press the button does the phone bring you to your springboard.
    You don't need to press the button if the phone is 'awake', which it normally is. But I guess it's two-step, insofar as you have to wake it and then rest/press the home button.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    No I looked at it again he demonstrated how fast it was twice an both time required the swipe up gesture.

Yes - if you look at the top of the phone - the Look opened the little Padlock icon.

Then the slide became available -

Also probably only then will the touch to open option work.

If I was to guess I would have thought of them putting the fingerprint scanner on one of the buttons on the side of the phone... not sure how I feel about having to give the phone full attention to unlock - eg. no more sneeking a peek at your phone at a meeting to see who messaged you... or checking alarm is set from under bed covers...

I see there is a camera and a torch icon available though without unlocking - thats nice.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see they are skipping 9 and going from 8 to 10 like Microsoft did with Windows.

Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

The steel Apple Watch versions only appear to be available in the U.K. with the Cellular models. You reckon if you but the steel one the Watch will work the same for the moment and cellular can be added later if Irish networks ever support it?

As in will the cellular Apple Watch work ok here without cellular connection?

nc6000 wrote: »
    I see they are skipping 9 and going from 8 to 10 like Microsoft did with Windows.

Anyone know why?

10 years of iPhone maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Anyone know why?

They could be going 8 8s then 9 etc and the x renamed to pro next year

Anyone know why?

Ties in with the Mac OS X - and X for 10 years.

maybe they will keep the X name somehow for a few years - like Intel kept the Pentiums even though they are well past version 5 of their processors.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I've got a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. I've got a 128gb memory card with lots of 4k stuff on it. Also I've got ps1 and Nintendo emulators. Not to mention thousands of songs. And I can listen to music and charge my phone at the same time..

Jaysus, you love coming on to other phones threads and telling everyone you have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium :pac:

Jaysus, you love coming on to other phones threads and telling everyone you have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium :pac:

Paid endorsement? Or just trolling - either way - yeah its off topic.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Anyone know why?

skipping 7s (which the 8 clearly is) and going to 8 then skipping all the way to 10

Advertisement