Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bazsutto wrote: »
    From what I gathered from the keynotes, I don't think the cellular watch will work here. There was a slide showing that it will only work on EE network in U.K as an example.

It will work here, just that no deals have been done with mobile providers here yet to offer a service. No doubt that will come.

So the cellular watch is not on the Irish website yet but should happen soon.

I just hope the mobile companies don't demand to match for basically offering a shared second sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Maybe they're just being considerate to the Germans

Why did oneplus skip 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Why did oneplus skip 4?

I think the number 4 is seen as unlucky in China but not 100%.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I had my heart set on an X, but at 1349 you’d be mad not to have AppleCare on it. Brings it up to €1578.

The more the evening goes on, the more i’m beginning to wake up and smell the roses. It’s a phone, not life or death, and I’m afraid this year I just can’t justify the price. For the first year ever i’m going to skip a gen. had every phone on launch day, since the OG phone, but I just can’t swallow that cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have an iPhone 6 for the past two and a half years. I've wanted to upgrade for a while, but was waiting to see the announcement today as I knew it would be a change in form factor. As much as I like the look of the X, I can't justify the price, and I'd also be wary of FaceID. It could be great, but I think I'd need a hands on experience with it to be convinced. I also want a Series 3 watch....and for the price of an X, I could more or less buy the 8 and a Series 3 watch, so I'd say that's the path I'll take

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

eeloe wrote: »
    I had my heart set on an X, but at 1349 you’d be mad not to have AppleCare on it. Brings it up to €1578.

The more the evening goes on, the more i’m beginning to wake up and smell the roses. It’s a phone, not life or death, and I’m afraid this year I just can’t justify the price. For the first year ever i’m going to skip a gen. had every phone on launch day, since the OG phone, but I just can’t swallow that cost.

I was never going to buy one anyway, but when I think that it's €2-300 MORE than a MacBook Air........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

People are getting very caught up with the skipping of 9...nobody seems to have said a word about 2 being missing though when the 3G was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Patww79 wrote: »
    11th anniversaries normally aren't celebrated.

The 8 was released today too and it'll be 8S or 9 next year.

Next year will be a solid number, or more likely, the numbering will be dropped for something else entirely.

Next year all models will have OLED panels and there will be only two models again.

What stopped two models of iPhone having OLED panels is Samsung being the sole supplier and yields being as low as 60%, so Apple couldn't negotiate a more competitive price and supply was too tight.

Next year LG will become a supplier so prices should become competitive enough and supply should increase enough to have two models.

Another X isn't going to happen since its purpose was to be a showcase of what Apple can do and a demonstration of strength, since they couldn't just sit on another iterative release like the 8, when the Galaxy S8, note 8 and LG's V30 are at the bleeding edge of design. It would've hurt Apple massively to be seen so far behind the competition, at least this way they have an extremely expensive product but they're seen as leading the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'm gutted the cellular watch won't be available here any time soon— A lot of people don't get much use out of the Watch, but I've worn mine daily without fail since getting it, and I love it. I have a Plus phone, so I don't bring it when I'm running, and the ability to take calls/texts via the Watch while I'm out and about would be huge for me. As soon as the cellular version comes to Ireland I'll be picking one up, but there's no chance I'd consider a wifi-only Series 3. Would consider getting one over from England, but not until I know I can make it work over here! I cared more about that than any of the phone announcements at the end of the day...

On phones, I'm torn. The price of the X is bonkers, and while the new display sings a siren song to me, too many of the other features (face ID, animated emojis, wireless charging) mean so little to me that I don't think I'll make the stretch. My 6 Plus is getting a little tired, though, so I might look into a 7 Plus, but considering the 128gb 7 Plus is €800, and the 64gb 8 Plus is €840, I'd be mad to get the 7 for the sake of €40 when 128gb is really overkill for me. I might keep an eye on the networks and see if they are offering any improved deals on the 7 in the coming weeks which might make the call for me.

I thought when I saw today's news, I'd know for sure what I wanted, but it's left me even more confused than before! The more I think about it, though, I feel like the smart thing to do is hang onto my 6 Plus, pick up a cellular Watch when they hit these shores, and wait for the 2018 phones. As stated upthread, the 2018 phones will almost certainly feature the newer screens at lower prices, so I think maybe I'll wait...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

X price is just crazy, really cannot justify it. Especially as if paying that much for a phone you want the 256gb version , plus AppleCare is a must on phone that dear so that's over €1,500. Off the wall crazy price. I'll wait until next year when the X will have Touch ID integrated into screen. face ID was a fall back option for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Did they actually offer anything that isn't presently available with the Samsung S8+? Wireless charging, face recognition, awesome camera, dual sim, extendable storage, dual bluetooth  headsets? (Not gonna comment on Bixby:))
    When the facial recognition works on the Samsung S8+, you just have to look at the phone and swipe, with or without glasses, its pretty neat. So people may actually find this easier than they expect.

Another X isn't going to happen since its purpose was to be a showcase of what Apple can do and a demonstration of strength, since they couldn't just sit on another iterative release like the 8, when the Galaxy S8, note 8 and LG's V30 are at the bleeding edge of design. It would've hurt Apple massively to be seen so far behind the competition, at least this way they have an extremely expensive product but they're seen as leading the pack.

Seen as leading the pack, or not falling massively behind....depends which way you look at it I guess. Apple have fallen way behind in design, features, and camera over the last few years. I think it was definitely important for them to show they can still compete, especially on the camera front. Apple used to lead the way there, but now pretty much every Android flagship outdoes Apple.

Am looking forward to having a play when my Apple fanboy bosses get the X. Can't see that happening this side of Xmas, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »

Why did oneplus skip 4?

I think the number 4 is seen as unlucky in China but not 100%.

Yes, 4 sounds the same as "to die" in Chinese.

buyer2017 wrote: »
    I'll wait until next year when the X will have Touch ID integrated into screen. face ID was a fall back option for them.

This is *very* unlikely to happen. Putting it back next year as their flagship authentication technology would ne admitting that they went for a lesser option on the X. Whether it is or isn't actually a lesser option Apple won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

This might seem like a stupid question, but is the cost of the iPhone X which has been referred to on this thread (approx €1,200) if you wanted to buy it SIM free?

If I wanted to get the phone and was entitled to an upgrade I'm assuming I could get it for (much?) less than that price as long as I sign up to a new two year contract or something like that.

Am I correct?

The Rook wrote: »
    This might seem like a stupid question, but is the cost of the iPhone X which has been referred to on this thread (approx €1,200) if you wanted to buy it SIM free?

If I wanted to get the phone and was entitled to an upgrade I'm assuming I could get it for (much?) less than that price as long as I sign up to a new two year contract or something like that.

Am I correct?

Yes it'll be cheaper. But I'd say even on a very expensive 24 months contract you're looking at least at paying 500-600 euros (knowing that of course this is because your contract really is a packaged subscription and loan and you're gonna pay the rest of the cost over 24 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Absolutely ridiculous money for what it is and the profit margin on it is beyond crazy I would say. More power to the people who can drop a grand and a half on a phone with plenty better cheaper options out there..

Have you thought about how much you've spent on apple devices over the past decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

kippy wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous money for what it is and the profit margin on it is beyond crazy I would say. More power to the people who can drop a grand and a half on a phone with plenty better cheaper options out there..

"Better" is a subjective term. While Apple products are objectively no longer as innovative as they once were, there is subjective value for many people, myself included, that comes from other things: unity (it's convenient for me to have my phone/watch/tablet/computer/laptop all running the same OS and designed to work together), money sunk into apps etc., dislike of change and not wanting to have to learn a new OS, dislike or distrust of other companies, concerns about security, general preference... It's a long list.

I don't care much about how much Apple are or aren't making from my purchases. All I care about is whether or not I feel like it was worthwhile expenditure for me. I don't think I would feel that great about buying the X (or even the 8+) since I don't know if what it offers above and beyond my 6+ is worth it to me, but I will probably give it a couple of weeks and watch some reviews and teardowns before making a final decision.

TL;DR: better isn't just about pure tech specs. It's also about experience, bias, and preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The price is crazy and I won't be upgrading any time soon. Every time a new one is released prices were considered off the wall though. I have had the 4,5, and now 6 plus. In the same time I have had three phones most my friends on androids have had 6 or 7 with a few going through up to 10 phones, which is the main thing scaring me off going to android. I reckon I have gotten way more value for money.

My 6 plus is still working perfectly so have no reason to justify a €,1200+ spend. I will probably hold out until next year, only need for change will be if it suddenly gives in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Note skipped the 6. Phone makers do it to appear ahead of the competition. It's just marketing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Same here - only device I have ever preordered, but I think I will skip this one. If the base model was 128gb i would probably consider (and start negotiating with my wife) but 1300+ for 256 that I dont need is way way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes it'll be cheaper. But I'd say even on a very expensive 24 months contract you're looking at least at paying 500-600 euros (knowing that of course this is because your contract really is a packaged subscription and loan and you're gonna pay the rest of the cost over 24 months).
    Minimum. It'll be €500-€600 on the most expensive contracts. If you're going for the cheaper contracts you might be lucky to get it in under a grand.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Note skipped the 6. Phone makers do it to appear ahead of the competition. It's just marketing

I thought it was just to bring the galaxy line in line with each other? S7 and Note 7 same year etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kippy wrote: »

Have you thought about how much you've spent on apple devices over the past decade?

You appear to be lost. >>>>>>>>>>>> your way home

dodzy wrote: »
    You appear to be lost. >>>>>>>>>>>> your way home

The ghetto??

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought it was just to bring the galaxy line in line with each other? S7 and Note 7 same year etc?

Sure Jan. Do you actually believe that???

Sure Jan

I was just telling you the reason. I guess it's technically to do with marketing, but not the reason you were saying. I didn't want to come straight out and say you don't know what you're talking about ;)

I was just telling you the reason. I guess it's technically to do with marketing, but not the reason you were saying. I didn't want to come straight out and say you don't know what you're talking about ;)

Or that you would believe that line that was spun?

Do I really believe they called it the X cos the iPhone is 10?

Or that you would believe that line that was spun?

Do I really believe they called it the X cos the iPhone is 10?

I'm talking specifically about the note, and the rationale behind it is logical.

• Advertisement

I'm talking specifically about the note, and the rationale behind it is logical.

And I was implying that was just believing the spin. Why do the numbers need to be aligned?

Advertisement