Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

snowflaker wrote: »
    And I was implying that was just believing the spin. Why do the numbers need to be aligned?

Isn't it obvious? It's how company's streamline their product line for the year.

''This year we'll have the note 7, s7 and s7 edge''...

Not everything's a spin. This just makes it easier for the consumer as well. The average would think a Note 6 was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dodzy wrote: »
    You appear to be lost. >>>>>>>>>>>> your way home

I don't get this. My main point is about the price point and profit margins of the device. Both obscene. How thousands of people can justify spending vast sums of money almost annually on these types of product astound me.
    If you read the last few posts even you will see that most of the bluster around these devices is marketing and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Four Winds wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious? It's how company's streamline their product line for the year.

''This year we'll have the note 7, s7 and s7 edge''...

Not everything's a spin. This just makes it easier for the consumer as well. The average would think a Note 6 was last year.

So you agree it was to make the phone not appear outdated

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kippy wrote: »
    I don't get this. My main point is about the price point and profit margins of the device. Both obscene. How thousands of people can justify spending vast sums of money almost annually on these types of product astound me.
    If you read the last few posts even you will see that most of the bluster around these devices is marketing and little else.

Have you asked the same question in the android forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I agree that the price of the iPhone X is crazy but people don't have to justify it, it's their own money and they can do what they want with it.

Do you complain about people buying expensive Mercedes, Audis or BMWs?

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Have you asked the same question in the android forum?

I have in the past about some of the galaxy range and had conversations in the real world about the general concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I think the notch eating into videos will drive me nuts. :unsure:

murpho999 wrote: »
    I agree that the price of the iPhone X is crazy but people don't have to justify it, it's their own money and they can do what they want with it.

Do you complain about people buying expensive Mercedes, Audis or BMWs?

I am not denying that its their money and they can do what they want with it, but that doesn't change my opinion.
    Anyway not de railing the thread further. Thanks.

So you agree it was to make the phone not appear outdated

No. It's so they wouldn't have a fragmented product line up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Have you thought about how much you've spent on apple devices over the past decade?

I have a LOT of Apple Products, and i use each and every one for different things on a daily basis, be it iMacs, iPads, Macbooks, Apple Tv's and the phones.

I bought them because i enjoyed them, and i knew i would get many years out of them, my old iMac lasted me 6 years, so for the initial investment of around 1500, to get that long out of it was good enough for me.

1500 on the phone tho, and god knows i'll want to upgrade to next years model then too....just can't justify it, as much as i want to, and i know i'll be green with envy if i see someone else with the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've been watching a few hands on videos, and the notch does not eat into the videos. Videos display in their correct aspect ratio with black bars.

Only if you zoom in full screen does the notch eat in to the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

No. It's so they wouldn't have a fragmented product line up.

Now that the iPhone range have different numbers do your consider them to be fragmented? How big an issue is this?

Now that the iPhone range have different numbers do your consider them to be fragmented? How big an issue is this?

There's a difference between having a product named '6' and the rest 7 as opposed to iPhone 8 and the iPhone X (for 10th anniversary). I don't think it's an issue. I'm too busy for this petty rubbish. :)

Edit: That's a lie, I'm not too busy, I just don't care that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Not bothering this time round. X is just far too expensive. Even on a contract, it'll be a crazy monthly cost. I'll stick with my 128GB 7. Perfectly fine with TouchID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

How thousands of people can justify spending vast sums of money almost annually on these types of product astound me.

Firstly it's not thousands, its millions and sometimes even hundreds of millions.

Ask the majority of people in 2017 what thing you use the most in their day to day lives, I'd be confident that the majority will tell you it's their smart phone. And let's be honest it's not a phone anymore, it's a mini computer at this stage, and a powerful one.

Spending a good few hundred euro on the best flagship phone that will last you for on average two years isn't too crazy if you use it for multiple hours of the day. I personally like having the cutting edge new features and think it's worth the price.

Also, people on a two year cycle will be able to sell that phone for a significant sum of money back, to put towards the new one. That's why people buy the iPhone X and the Samsung S8's instead of a €100 entry level from Huawei.

There are a lot of other reasons that I won't go into but for some it's not that crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I am not denying that its their money and they can do what they want with it, but that doesn't change my opinion.
    Anyway not de railing the thread further. Thanks.

Well as I said peoople don't have to justify how they spend their money to you.

Also, the phones hold value so you can always get something back.

I always sell mine when upgrading so that reduces the cost significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »
    Firstly it's not thousands, its millions and sometimes even hundreds of millions.

Ask the majority of people in 2017 what thing you use the most in their day to day lives, I'd be confident that the majority will tell you it's their smart phone. And let's be honest it's not a phone anymore, it's a mini computer at this stage, and a powerful one.

Spending a good few hundred euro on the best flagship phone that will last you for on average two years isn't too crazy if you use it for multiple hours of the day. I personally like having the cutting edge new features and think it's worth the price.

Also, people on a two year cycle will be able to sell that phone for a significant sum of money back, to put towards the new one. That's why people buy the iPhone X and the Samsung S8's instead of a €100 entry level from Huawei.

There are a lot of other reasons that I won't go into but for some it's not that crazy.

While all you say makes sense, the fact that these devices tend to seriously lag behind current models after 2-3 years and are more likely than most other possessions to be lost/stolen/broken pushes the balance the other way a little bit. Of course people spend money whichever way they want and don't have to justify it to others, but for me 1300 euros starts to be a lot of money to justify to *myself* the purchase of a product which I know won't be very long lived fro me (as I said before I find it easier to justify spending 2000 euros on a MacBook Pro as I know 3-4 years down the line I will likely still be using it and not feel an urgent need to upgrade).

Bob24 wrote: »
    While all you say makes sense, the fact that these devices tend to seriously lag behind current models after 2-3 years and are more likely than most other possessions to be lost/stolen/broken pushes the balance the other way a little bit. Of course people spend money whichever way they want and don't have to justify it to others, but for me 1300 euros starts to be a lot of money to justify to *myself* the purchase of a product which I know won't be very long lived fro me (as I said before I find it easier to justify spending 2000 euros on a MacBook Pro as I know 3-4 years down the line I will likely still be using it and not feel an urgent need to upgrade).

To say iPhone start to seriously lag behind after 2-3 is a bit of a joke. 6s and even the 5s are still going strong for a lot of people and handling updates. This is what makes iPhones/Apple products in general worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭embraer170

I have been a very regular iPhone buyer for the past 10 years upgrading every year or two. Nothing about the iPhone X or iPhone 8 really tempts me. I think I will be finding a replacement battery for my 6S Plus instead.

I would go out and buy an LTE Apple Watch but I doubt my mobile plan will support it for some time.

To say iPhone start to seriously lag behind after 2-3 is a bit of a joke. 6s and even the 5s are still going strong for a lot of people and handling updates. This is what makes iPhones/Apple products in general worth it in my opinion.

Don't confuse not working (not what I said) and lagging behind (what I said). Sure the 5S still works, is supported, and does the trick for a good number of people. But both in terms of performance and features they is a significant gap between it and the new iPhones announced yesterday which would make a huge number of people want/need to upgrade (hence it is indeed lagging behind significantly compared to them).

The fact that smartphones get outdated faster is very clear when you look at the much shorter upgrade cycles compared lets say to laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just looking at the product line up....

iPhone X
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone 8
    iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 6s Plus
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone SE

And all the various SKUs within. That's some 90s Apple bull**** right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

The fact that smartphones get outdated faster is very clear when you long at the much shorter upgrade cycles compared lets say to laptops.

The gap is narrowing, though. I'm looking at the 8 and X and wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from my 6+. I didn't see anything in the 6S and 7 that made it a must-have for me, either, whereas when the 6+ came out, I queued up before the shop opened to be sure of getting one from that generation because it was such a dramatic step up on the 4S I had before that.

Like computers a couple of years ago, they're running out of new places to go and must-have improvements with smartphones. The fact that animojis were a big feature in the announcement speaks to that.

Just looking at the product line up....

iPhone X
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone 8
    iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 6s Plus
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone SE

And all the various SKUs within. That's some 90s Apple bull**** right there.

Exactly. And while I don't think Steve Jobs was an irreplaceable god this started creeping in just as Tim Cook took over. Apple with Steve Jobs alive (until the 4S) never had more than 2 iPhone models in the current product line. Also turning the phone into a luxury product and price inflation started around the same time (and this got even more obvious since Angela Ahrendts joined).

There're milking the cow as much as they can in the short term, but not sure how it will turn-out in the long term.

Perhaps it's a way to reduce cost for a lot of people who deem iPhones too expensive so they have the option of a cheaper one which will get more customers onboard.

It's a bit much having eight variations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

So I'm doing some man maths here. I'm with Vodafone on a 6S and out of contract.

The 7 Plus 128GB was (still is?) €549 on a 24 month 40 euro p/m contract.
    The "X" 64gb is approx €150 more than the 7+ 128GB was on the apple store. (1179 versus 1029).

So by that logic, is it safe to ballpark guess that the "X" 64GB will cost around €700 for a 40p/m 24 month contract?

Maybe they won't even offer it on the cheaper monthly contracts...

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Exactly. And while I don't think Steve Jobs was an irreplaceable god this started creeping in just as Tim Cook took over. Apple with Steve Jobs alive (until the 4S) never had more than 2 iPhone models in the current product line. Also turning the phone into a luxury product and price inflation started around the same time (and this got even more obvious since Angela Ahrendts joined).

There're milking the cow as much as they can in the short term, but not sure how it will turn-out in the long term.

The price of the new phones are so high these days they need to continue to sell the old ones to keep the numbers looking good.

Otherwise investors will see iPhone sales going down year-on-year and the stock price will adjust accordingly.

They've also hit a point where they struggle to make each years phone look like a big improvement on the previous years' phone, so people aren't as compelled to upgrade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If they didn't keep offering the choice of cheaper models we'd hear loads of people moaning about how it's preposterous to charge €1000+ for a phone and how Apple are forcing people to sell their organs.

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

How will the X face recognition thing work when its mounted in a car holder? Current 7+ is really handy, just touch with thumb and away it goes. Maybe I'm missing something??

Also what will be plan here with the cellular watch, does it replicate your existing number or is it a new number and will you need a second connection either way? Haven't looked to see if there are any updates from providers on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Also turning the phone into a luxury product and price inflation started around the same time

Hahahahaha

Let me introduce you to this.
    By 1987, Nokia released its first phone that could be held to the ear, the Mobira Cityman 900. Though it had to be recharged every six hours, the 790-gram Cityman became a status symbol after it appeared in popular movies such as Wall Street.

The Nokia Mobira Cityman 900 weighed 800 grams and had a price tag of 24,000 Finnish Marks (approximately EUR 4,560).

mobira_cityman.jpg

Mobile phones have been a luxury product since the day they launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Apple's range is getting very flabby and inflated. Even looking at the website is so cluttery and convoluted in comparison to the olden days.

Having said that, a 32 GB SE for $350 + VAT is amazing value. 6s Plus for $549 + VAT is also an extremely solid purchase for someone looking for the Apple ecosystem and who doesn't want to spend huge money.

Advertisement