Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An 18 hour charge on the watch really is great.

What happens if you have your heart attack while the watch is off your wrist charging that €10 a month isn't much good then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Pretty sure in the EU you can't have 2 devices with the same number so the watch will have a 2nd number, but it'll be masked/linked by your Apple ID Id' say.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Pretty sure in the EU you can't have 2 devices with the same number

Orange does it in France at least: https://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/options/multi-sim

"vous pourrez émettre et recevoir vos appels avec le même numéro"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm really not a fan of Apple's decision to "embrace the notch" in the UI. Looks terrible and very un-Apple-like. They could have addressed this easily but obviously the marketing team won the argument. A lot of things about how the UI deals with the notch and lack of home button seems rushed and poorly thought out, so I reckon this will probably be changed in the next year or two.

I'm happy to hang on to my 6s for another year and even then I'll probably go foran 8 or (I assume) 8s/9. I definitely wouldn't be getting the 10 until they add Touch ID back.

I'm really not a fan of Apple's decision to "embrace the notch" in the UI. Looks terrible and very un-Apple-like. They could have addressed this easily but obviously the marketing team won the argument. A lot of things about how the UI deals with the notch and lack of home button seems rushed and poorly thought out, so I reckon this will probably be changed in the next year or two.

I'm happy to hang on to my 6s for another year and even then I'll probably go foran 8 or (I assume) 8s/9. I definitely wouldn't be getting the 10 until they add Touch ID back.

Agreed with most of your points but I wouldn't count on Touch ID coming back. They might have rolled-out Face ID before it is mature enough, but once Apple replaces a technology by another they don't have a habit of going back. I'm more expecting to see Face ID gradually coming to MacBooks and iPads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I'm happy to hang on to my 6s for another year and even.... I definitely wouldn't be getting the 10 until they add Touch ID back.

Exactly the same here - Ill need do some reading to see if there is any reason to upgrade from my 6S to an 8 - but the face recognition in X doesn't currently look like the super upgrade feature they are touting it as - but more a workaround to the problem of no button.

“Roll it back”

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any idea when iOS 11 is released?

awec wrote: »
    Any idea when iOS 11 is released?

19th of Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Strange. I got a prompt to install it last night. Running 11.0 now.

Also curious if there is any sign of the News app coming to Ireland?

• Advertisement

Four Winds wrote: »
    Strange. I got a prompt to install it last night. Running 11.0 now.

It will only roll-out to all users next week, but the GM version was published by Apple yesterday for beta testers and developers.

You probably registered for the public beta testing program in the past which is why you were already prompted to install it: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16277804/apple-ios-11-iphone-ipad-download-how-to

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Also curious if there is any sign of the News app coming to Ireland?

I'm also on iOS11 and News App is not there.

Strange it's taking so long to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agreed with most of your points but I wouldn't count on Touch ID coming back. The might have rolled-out Face ID before it is mature enough, but once Apple replaces a technology by another that don't have a habit of going back. I'm more expecting to see Touch ID gradually coming to MacBooks and iPads.

This is my concern as well. How do apple re-introduce Touch ID without it coming off as a tacit admission of facial recognitions weakness. We both know Apple and Samsung were desperately trying to get this working before their launches. I could see Samsung having it next year, as it's just more features to throw at the presentation Whereas Apple like to tell a story of the tech and I can't see how'd they'd spin it.

This is my concern as well. How do apple re-introduce Touch ID without it coming off as a tacit admission of facial recognitions weakness. We both know Apple and Samsung were desperately trying to get this working before their launches. I could see Samsung having it next year, as it's just more features to throw at the presentation Whereas Apple like to tell a story of the tech and I can't see how'd they'd spin it.

How can you say that Face ID is a failure when nobody has it yet?

Also, even if it has flaws why can't these be improved in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

murpho999 wrote: »

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well it is.
    You have to look directly at the camera to unlock it. And it’s definitely a bit slow. Fair enough touchid was the same at launch.
    However at present FadeId is a poor alternative to the current version of touchid.
    Especially when driving it’s now a lot more dangerous to unlock your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭embraer170

Pretty sure in the EU you can't have 2 devices with the same number so the watch will have a 2nd number, but it'll be masked/linked by your Apple ID Id' say.

S.

O2 in Germany have it too and it's free with some plans.

Blazer wrote: »

I can definitely hear some of the arguments against Face ID but not that one. If you're gonna unlock you phone while driving it is because you are planning to look at the screen to do something with the phone, which is exactly what Face ID requires to work. So yes doing that is not fully safe, but it has to do with the need to interact with a phone while driving, not with Face ID.

Note that I am not judging anyone here, this is a discussion for another forum. But blaming Face ID for one's questionable behaviour is a bit funny.

Loads of people have it. Apple are branding it FaceID but it is nothing new.

Again, there is a reason Apple did not add facial login to their phones years ago. It would not have been difficult, the technology has been around for a good while now. They went with fingerprints instead for good reason.

Facial login works best on things that don't move. Desktop pcs that are always in the same position for example. Things that you hold in your hand it doesn't really work well for. Apple recognised this a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Good?

• Advertisement

Well it is.
    You have to look directly at the camera to unlock it. And it’s definitely a bit slow. Fair enough touchid was the same at launch.
    However at present FadeId is a poor alternative to the current version of touchid.

How do you know how slow it is when you have not used it and a final phone has not been released?

You should not be using your phone when driving anyway so that's a poor argument.

Loads of people have it. Apple are branding it FaceID but it is nothing new.

Again, there is a reason Apple did not add facial login to their phones years ago. It would not have been difficult, the technology has been around for a good while now. They went with fingerprints instead for good reason.

Facial login works best on things that don't move. Desktop pcs that are always in the same position for example. Things that you hold in your hand it doesn't really work well for. Apple recognised this a few years ago.

And you don't think Apple have enhanced or improved it in anyway?

They were claiming years of devlopment and research on this yesterday so I don' expect to work the same as others.

For example photos don't work to unlock phones but do on Samsungs.

I just think it's too early too call as the phone is not out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It's quite a lot more sophisticated than a simple photograph which is what's been available on some android phones to date.

The phone's actually doing an active infrared scan of your face using an invisible IR flood light and a dot projector and dedicated hardware to process it.

How do you know how slow it is when you have not used it and a final phone has not been released?

You should not be using your phone when driving anyway so that's a poor argument.

To be fair the keynote demos clearly made it looks slower than latest generation Touch ID (which works virtually instantly as you press the home button on my iPhone 7). I'm sure Face ID will improve (as Touch ID did) but as of 2017 it seems slower than Touch ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Bear in mind it's using a neural network technology to learn your face. The more it sees you, the more it recognises you.

So, it's quite possibly a decent tech.

The only way we'll know is when it gets out into the real world and sees some use.

Bob24 wrote: »
    To be fair the keynote demos clearly made it looks slower than latest generation Touch ID (which is basically instant as you press the home button on my iPhone 7). I'm sure Face ID will improve (as Touch ID did) but as of 2017 it seems slower than Touch ID.

You can't go by the demo. It's not the final version, as was shown by one failure that happend. Apple knew this and were prepared with backups.

You can't go by the demo. It's not the final version, as was shown by one failure that happend. Apple knew this and were prepared with backups.

I'm pretty sure the demo was using the final hardware (to have enough stocks they start manufacturing the finalised phones weeks before launch) and the phone was running the final version of iOS 11. Doesn't mean it can't improve but it was likely a final production version.

Also in all likelihood the failure was not due to Face ID itself or a failure to recognise the face. The phone was just asking for the user's password to reactive Face ID as it also regularly does with Touch ID: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16296912/apple-iphone-x-face-id-demo-fail

And Apple knows many people are watching the keynote. If they knew something was subpar compared to what they are planning to give users they would have clearly labelled it as beta (as they did with portrait mode during last year's keynote).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

In relation to the FaceID failure yesterday, that was because somebody restarted the iPhone and it required the passcode to enabled FaceID, not because it didn't work properly.

I think anybody slating the technology should wait until it's been released to the mass market of customers and see their feedback, or at least wait until reviewers get their hands on it. From what I saw from yesterday's hands-on, it seems quick enough compared to TouchID. Both biometric methods have good and bad parts so it's best to wait and see how it fairs.

Also, comparing Apple's implementation to what has come before it on various Android phones and Windows laptops is incorrect. Apple uses a combination of great cameras, infrared sensors as well as neural networks to secure the device against fraudulent access attempts. I also read the actual face scan will get better as you use it using some of the machine learning. From what has been reported, it's definitely a step ahead compared to anything i've seen previous.

flaneur wrote: »
    It's quite a lot more sophisticated than a simple photograph which is what's been available on some android phones to date.

The phone's actually doing an active infrared scan of your face using an invisible IR flood light and a dot projector and dedicated hardware to process it.

Pretty much every half decent implementation of facial login uses IR. Samsungs use it, Windows uses it, Xbox has been using it in the past.

Apple stick a bit of marketing around it and some buzzwords and people think they've reinvented facial login.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

DubDJ wrote: »
    In relation to the FaceID failure yesterday, that was because somebody restarted the iPhone and it required the passcode to enabled FaceID, not because it didn't work properly.

not true.

Advertisement