Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Can't wait now
    The Have I Got News For You FB feed had a picture of the iPhone breXit with the usual hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Interesting description of the watch battery life...

If you use it to make calls (without the phone) it has a battery life of fully charged to empty of 1 hour.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/25916/apple-watch-3-release-date-uk-price-and-specs-apple-watch-3-battery-life-plummets-on

Which is when you think of it actually quite impressive given the size of the battery - but important to temper expectations.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I unlock my phone while driving when someone else is holding it and wants to change the music... left hand off the steering wheel, they place the phone on finger or thumb and off they go, hand off wheel for about as long as it takes to change gear. I'm not holding it, don't divert my attention from the road etc. Them having to shove it in my face doesn't appeal but maybe they wont have to and it'll work just by holding it vaguely near as I keep both hands on the wheel...

Anyhow I was more disappointed that the X doesn't look as impressive as some of the top end Androids. There's still gaps around the screen edge and it just doesn't look as innovative as the S8 or LG. I say this as an Apple user for all my phone/laptop/tablet needs, so have no intention of switching to android, but would expect Apple to wow over the competition for this release and it doesn't do it for me. Will be keeping my 7plus for a good bit longer I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

ozmo wrote: »
    Interesting description of the watch battery life...

If you use it to make calls (without the phone) it has a battery life of fully charged to empty of 1 hour.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/25916/apple-watch-3-release-date-uk-price-and-specs-apple-watch-3-battery-life-plummets-on

Which is when you think of it actually quite impressive given the size of the battery - but important to temper expectations.

It’s not impressive. It renders the watch unusable if you actually want to use it for one of its main selling points.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone have an Idea when will somewhere like Compu B or one of the Network shops get them in store so we can have a feel of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Four Winds wrote: »
    It’s not impressive. It renders the watch unusable if you actually want to use it for one of its main selling points.

Who is actually going to be talking to their wrist for an hour with no other use of a phone though, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Who is actually going to be talking to their wrist for an hour with no other use of a phone though, seriously?

Somebody who forgot their phone!

Besides, people might just want to start using it that way for convenience. Especially as it’s one of the main selling points.

And if that’s the case with calls, it’s not going to last very long streaming music. If you go to the gym for an hour before work or at lunch, it mightn’t even last the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thing is, it will also reduce regular battery life accordingly.

As the watch is advertised for running 18 hours from a full charge (without calling), presumably a 20 minutes call will reduce battery life by a third to 12 hours.

i.e. if you left home at 7AM with a full charge you'll be out of luck with the watch at 7PM.

Having said that Apple is fairly conservative with battery life on Series 2 and mine can do at least double what they advertise, hopefully it is the same here are using the call feature for more than a few minutes in a day might be problematic.

Four Winds wrote: »
    Somebody who forgot their phone!

Besides, people might just want to start using it that way for convenience. Especially as it’s one of the main selling points.

And if that’s the case with calls, it’s not going to last very long streaming music. If you go to the gym for an hour before work or at lunch, it mightn’t even last the day.

What I think is that (like the GPS on Series 2) Apple sees this as a feature people will use in very specific situations and only with a very limited timeframe. Typically going for a run or cycling for an hour or two and having the freedom not to carry your phone with you. But then the user will be expected to charge the watch just after that activity.

So the Apple Watch is still very much a tethered device which requires an iPhone most of the time (and the watch will use the phone's GPS receiver and cellular transmitter rather that its own whenever it can), but with the freedom to use it away for the phone for a few hours when you feel like it.

As I said that though, I find that to me this additional freedom I would only take advantage of once a month at best would not really worth paying for the more expensive cellular model and adding an extra $120 per year to my phone bill.

And I am not sure Apple's marketing is raising the right expectations about it. I've already heard someone say they would want to buy one for their retired father as a small music player, activity tracker, and phone to put on their wrist as they don't really need a smartphone with them all the time. This is not a ridiculous idea based on Apple's marketing. But in practice the watch is not as independent from a phone as it seems and I don't think it would work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Don't think I've ever seen so little apple forum traffic on a launch day. People hanging on for the X?

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen so little apple forum traffic on a launch day. People hanging on for the X?

Yes, not a single post today on the iPhone 8 thread which is something unseen before on the first day for pre-orders.

Clearly not much excitement about it as this year's big thing is the iPhone X.

Having said that delivery dates have slipped already but this might be due to Apple launching it and many more countries than usual on the first day.

I am curious what the sales will be like for each model.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if you get a facial injury , what happens with the x ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

yeah very quiet around here.
    I ordered the 8 64gb from apple getting delivered through PM.
    I have a 6 with 128gb and thanks to spotify and dropbox,cloud etc.only use about 38gb.
    I had planned on buying the X because shiny new things, decided its not worth it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

peteeeed wrote: »
    if you get a facial injury , what happens with the x ?

Nothing happens it, unless it was at your face at the time

wobert wrote: »
    yeah very quiet around here.
    I ordered the 8 64gb from apple getting delivered through PM.
    I have a 6 with 128gb and thanks to spotify and dropbox,cloud etc.only use about 38gb.
    I had planned on buying the X because shiny new things, decided its not worth it really.

I'm be wary of getting the 64GB if I was you. The actual space available to you will be around 55GB. Not that far off what you are currently using, and if you keep the phone as long as you kept your 6 your usage pattern (or App size inflation) could make those 55GB feel tight in the coming few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bob24 wrote: »
    I'm be wary of getting the 64GB if I was you. The actual space available to you will be around 55GB. Not that far off what you are currently using, and if you keep the phone as long as you kept your 6 your usage pattern (or App size inflation) could make those 55GB feel tight in the coming few years.

I survived with just 16gb since the iPhone first launched and I've had the original, 3G, 4, 5 and currently 6!

Buying the 256gb was just not worth the extra cash, I would have gone for 128gb if option was there. I dont bother deleting anything from my phone because I never needed too, Lot of crap on it is from my kids.If rainbow sparkles and her unicorn posse start being a problem they will get the heave ho.

faceman wrote: »
    I survived with just 16gb since the iPhone first launched and I've had the original, 3G, 4, 5 and currently 6!

Very much depends on usage of course (though nowadays 16GB seems very tight that's just a bit over 10GB left for the user and I have 9 Apps on my phone which take between 1GB and 2GB each so just these would more than max-out your phone).

• Advertisement

wobert wrote: »
    I would have gone for 128gb if option was there.

Yeah they are a bit evil :-) They only offer an option which is just OK and could get tight for many people, and another one which is way more than most people need. I think it is a deliberate marketing choice not to offer 128.

Yeah they are a bit evil :-) They only offer an option which is just OK and could get tight for many people, and another one which is way more than most people need. I think it is a deliberate marketing choice not to offer 128.

I assumed it was because they are pushing ther icloud subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone work in Apple know when employees can avail of the 17% / 27% off discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yes - they do this every year the past few years -
    eg. 16 and 64 (no 32)
    32 and 128 (no 64)

Really mean trick.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Anyone know if the shops have these on display yet? Meteor, Voda, CompuB??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

numbernine wrote: »
    Anyone know if the shops have these on display yet? Meteor, Voda, CompuB??

They won’t be on display anywhere until the 19th, and the X won’t be on display until the launch.

Now that's a pretty crap thing they didn't say about the cellular Apple Watch: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-watch-series-3-lte-limitations/

It will only work in the country of purchase meaning there is now way to buy one abroad and if you move country your watch loses cellular functionality.

This even applies to roaming apparently so if you have a watch from the US with an active US subscription and go to France the watch won't be able to roam there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Now that's a pretty crap thing they didn't say about the cellular Apple Watch: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-watch-series-3-lte-limitations/

It will only work in the country of purchase meaning there is now way to buy one abroad and if you move country your watch loses cellular functionality.

This even applies to roaming apparently so if you have a watch from the US with an active US subscription and go to France the watch won't be able to roam there.

I notice they said the US version wouldn't work in Europe.
    I wonder if its not a qual-band and only band 1900 etc.. and therefore they're using difference bands for watches sold in difference countries. If so the UK one should work here when carriers enable it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Blazer wrote: »
    I wonder if its not a qual-band and only band 1900 etc.. and therefore they're using difference bands for watches sold in difference countries. If so the UK one should work here when carriers enable it.

No it's locked to the carrier

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »

You have a point. From this it looks like there is very little overlap in 3G/4G bands between the US and European models and the main European bands are not supported by the US watch: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Macrumors is possibly blowing the issue out of proportion when the say cellular service "only Works in Country of Purchase". Apple might just have told them a US watch won't work in Europe because it doesn't support European bands.

Advertisement