Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If you are getting more than one phone, the tax savings can be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You won't get a train ticket in the north east of the USA for under $70-100. Trains are just as expensive as flying in the states, sometimes even more so.

Just did a test for a random date in October on the Amtrak website. $98 return from Penn Station to Wilmington DE and which I assume excludes taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Depending on the price difference I'll probably order from the UK Apple Store and have it shipped via Parcel Motel.

I've already ordered an Apple Watch and MacBook Pro that way with no issues. A little over €10 for delivery including bumping up the insurance amount to cover the cost of the phone.

Plus seeing as Apple usually have it delivered Friday you'll be able to collect it from the box Friday night/Saturday morning which means no waiting around until the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

DubDJ wrote: »
    Depending on the price difference I'll probably order from the UK Apple Store and have it shipped via Parcel Motel.

I've already ordered an Apple Watch and MacBook Pro that way with no issues. A little over €10 for delivery including bumping up the insurance amount to cover the cost of the phone.

Plus seeing as Apple usually have it delivered Friday you'll be able to collect it from the box Friday night/Saturday morning which means no waiting around until the money.

That's what I have always done aswell

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Marty Bird wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the rumours of the loss of TouchID are true and how Apple are going to get around it. I know Face ID has been mention plus with new swipe gestures.

I hate the thoughts of losing touchID..it really is an awesome and understated feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Blazer wrote: »
    I hate the thoughts of losing touchID..it really is an awesome and understated feature.
    Apple know this, if it goes you can be certain whatever replaces it will be better for us. We're just not seeing it yet as we're (journalists included) just all jumping to the worst case scenario. "Oh I can't see how taking a selfie to authenticate will be better than just placing your finger on a sensor."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Really excited to see what they are doing myself Creamy Goodness.

I hope the facial recognition is secure enough.

apparently Apple's tech is two years ahead of Qualcomm's tech that is destined for the next round of Samsung phones. Remember the iPhone was 5 years ahead when it came out, I feel this might been similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I do remember some months ago Apple acquired an Israeli company who had major success with face recognition tech they basically perfected it maybe that's what they will go for, intresting to see how it will work out with ApplePay.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Apple know this, if it goes you can be certain whatever replaces it will be better for us. We're just not seeing it yet as we're (journalists included) just all jumping to the worst case scenario. "Oh I can't see how taking a selfie to authenticate will be better than just placing your finger on a sensor."

it won't.
    For instance in a car I'm not looking directly at my iphone but I can still unlock it using touchid. A retina or facial scan will mean having to turn the camera towards me or having to put in my pin all of which added increased risk to drivers.

• Advertisement

it won't.
    For instance in a car I'm not looking directly at my iphone but I can still unlock it using touchid. A retina or facial scan will mean having to turn the camera towards me or having to put in my pin all of which added increased risk to drivers.

Even using Touch ID is a stupid thing to do.

Even using Touch ID is a stupid thing to do.

how is it? simply lean forward and put my finger on the phone..its magnetically held to the windscreen holder. No more dangerous than leaning forward to change the heating etc.

how is it? simply lean forward and put my finger on the phone..its magnetically held to the windscreen holder. No more dangerous than leaning forward to change the heating etc.

So your phone is in a holder so it's practically looking at you?

Simply lean forward and let it scan your face.

Anyways I can't believe I'm actually advocating this stupidity.

So your phone is in a holder so it's practically looking at you?

Simply lean forward and let it scan your face.

Anyways I can't believe I'm actually advocating this stupidity.

are you serious? how it leaning forward and looking into your phone safer than leaning forward and using touchid? are you seriously for fúcking real?
    seriously? I mean seriously dude? While driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The FaceID is supposed to be much better than competitors, and work at really sharp angles, such as laying flat on a desk. If it is as good as that, then it might work even better in the car situation.

Although why would you need to unlock your iPhone while driving? If it's to interact with it then you'll need it facing you anyway.

are you serious? how it leaning forward and looking into your phone safer than leaning forward and using touchid? are you seriously for fúcking real?

Ehh you're the one saying you use your phone whilst driving which is an offence.but yeah I'm seriously for ****ing real. I suggest you take a drive without your phone to unwind :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

I just want to unlock it without having to angle it at my face. Just seems a bit gimmicky.

Thumb or index finger while it's lying on the desk away from my face is just simpler (for me). In fact, I don't think I ever angle the front camera while unlocking as it is. Seems like a feature they're adding because they can rather than for ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You won’t have to angle it at your face. On the 7 Plus they announced Portrait Mode, for taking really nice pictures. They do this by blurring the background and focusing the foreground. To blur the background they have to calculate depth, and I believe it’s something like 7 layers of depth to ensure that the face is in focus. Combine that with all the face recognition stuff that’s been in iOS for a few years now in the Photos app and you’ve got something that’ll recognise a particular face.

Now, in addition to that, all the AR stuff works by picking several anchor points and drawing shapes on that, and very solidly. Combine that with raise to wake as seen on the 7 and you’ve got a device that’ll wake when you raise it to use it, instantly scan the face for depth, and then instantly recognise it as you...then let you into the phone. That’ll all happen before you interact with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are you using the phone whilst driving? Looking at the screen is much more distracting than adjusting the heating.
    Apple are aware of this and introduced a do not disturb whilst drivng feature in iOS 11.
    Fancy Bear wrote: »
    I just want to unlock it without having to angle it at my face. Just seems a bit gimmicky.

Thumb or index finger while it's lying on the desk away from my face is just simpler (for me). In fact, I don't think I ever angle the front camera while unlocking as it is. Seems like a feature they're adding because they can rather than for ease of use.

It’s not gimmicky at all. It’s new technology that is meant work at any angle.

Reason for it is that they could not find a proper way of getting Touch ID to work in the screen and did not want to put it in the back of the phone or the power button as it will have a 3D camera.
    It’s supposed to be more secure than touchid as well.

Ehh you're the one saying you use your phone whilst driving which is an offence.but yeah I'm seriously for ****ing real. I suggest you take a drive without your phone to unwind :pac:

I use it for music not for ringing people. For that I use the airpods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I use it for music not for ringing people. For that I use the airpods.

So you use it for more than just touchid. You are starting an app and scrolling and selecting music.

All illegal as you’re being distracted by looking at the screen and not the road.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you use it for more than just touchid. You are starting an app and scrolling and selecting music.

All illegal as you’re being distracted by looking at the screen and not the road.

Lets make something clear.
    Its not illegal. Its only illegal to use your phone for texting and making calls.
    Opening an app on your phone and selecting a song is no more harmful than doing the same on the in-car info system. Is it still dangerous? possibility but no more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you using the phone whilst driving? Looking at the screen is much more distracting than adjusting the heating.
    Apple are aware of this and introduced a do not disturb whilst drivng feature in iOS 11.

It’s not gimmicky at all. It’s new technology that is meant work at any angle.

Reason for it is that they could not find a proper way of getting Touch ID to work in the screen and did not want to put it in the back of the phone or the power button as it will have a 3D camera.
    It’s supposed to be more secure than touchid as well.

Yeah perhaps it's just the idea of it I have in my head. It's Apple so I'm sure they'll get it right.

Also, it's illegal to hold your phone in your hand while driving. As is supporting it with any other parts of your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I think it's illegal to be touching/holding a phone while driving actually!

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I think it's illegal to be touching/holding a phone while driving actually!

Correct.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Mobile%20Phone/RSA_Mobile_DL.pdf

But since if your phone is in a holder then it doesn't apply.

Let's not just think about it and quote actual law.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/23/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

Blazer do you use Spotify or Apple Music streaming?

Anyways as to try not drag this thread any further into the terrible ditch that it's in.

What is people's opinion on the rumour of the iPhone finally getting wireless charging? Do you think it will be like the stuff on android phones for years or will there be a "only Apple" spin to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

What is people's opinion on the rumour of the iPhone finally getting wireless charging? Do you think it will be like the stuff on android phones for years or will there be a "only Apple" spin to it?

I presume it's going to be like the apple watch? Which I find a bit fiddly.

I use Apple streaming..For some reason I prefer Spotify but Apple Music has more songs now on it that I like than Spotify.
    Hopefully Apple meet the Qi standards but there's rumours they're only allowing 750mah charging through it which is pretty useless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

What is people's opinion on the rumour of the iPhone finally getting wireless charging? Do you think it will be like the stuff on android phones for years or will there be an "only Apple" spin to it?

No experience of the Android side of things, my apple watch charges quite fast.

I spend a lot of time at a desk & have to go to several meetings a day so it's a lot of unplugging & plugging back in (battery is fecked), so I'd probably have a desk charger & bedside charger. It would benefit me, but the lightning connector is going to be there for headphones anyway (unless...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I'd say it will be in it a lot of car brands that Apple have partnered with are bringing out wireless charging in their cars so definitely a feature we will see I think.

Advertisement