Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes I know they are using their own format, but at least for 1080p content they accept to stream in H264.

To be fair while VP9 is royalty free it is very much a Google thing while H264/HEVC are industry standards and most if not all other major video content providers will rely on these. So to me Google should be the one to make a move, not Apple (although of course I understand Google’s strategy makes sense trying use their position as a major content provider to impose the format they control rather than an industry standard which doesn’t depend on a single company and is harder for them to influence, but I would hate to see them succeed).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You know what I didn't see from this launch either was all the queues outside Apple stores on the news about the iPhone launch usually most news stories show the clamour outside shops for people waiting to get their hands on the newest phone.

Have Apple actually made a blunder with the double launch and the delaying the new generation iPhone X to the detriment of 8 & 8+ sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Have Apple actually made a blunder with the double launch and the delaying the new generation iPhone X to the detriment of 8 & 8+ sales?

On the face of it, it would appear so.

I'm sure the X will sell fantastically well, but I doubt we'll see any reduction in 8 prices.

FWIW, I badly need a new phone, considered the X, didn't think it was worth it, am currently flip-flopping between the 7 plus & the 8 plus because I'm not sure the difference in devices is worth the extra €120 or so.

Personally, I think phones might have now peaked & until something absolutely radically different happens with them, it's going to be a case of nursing them along for as long as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You know what I didn't see from this launch either was all the queues outside Apple stores on the news about the iPhone launch usually most news stories show the clamour outside shops for people waiting to get their hands on the newest phone.

It depends on whether they can make enough Xs to meet demand. The assumption was that this 8/X release strategy was because they simply can't make 200 million OLED iPhones a year. They don't have the parts. If demand for the X is waaay higher than they can deliver, then yes it will have been a blunder but the blunder will have been that they didn't price the X high enough to make demand manageable. If, however, they can meet demand, then the strategy will have been a tremendous success. They just increased the price of the iPhone by $300 and everyone is happy to pay it, to hell with the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Did Face ID really fail after all?

I just came across this video and it seems to be that Face ID actually fail or wasn’t setup on the first iPhone X.

As it says in the video if it had already locked down the phone, because of multiple people looking at it, and the phone trying to use Face ID. The passcode screen would have come up straight away?

Not that it bothers me, as anyone remembers Touch ID for the 5s had it teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'm pretty sure it was just a genuine mistake, albeit a pretty big one. The phone clearly needed to be unlocked with a passcode before the Face ID detection would work. It's the same with Touch ID when you turn off/restart your phone you need to unlock it once by passcode, and any time after that you can use Touch ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

MillField wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was just a genuine mistake, albeit a pretty big one. The phone clearly needed to be unlocked with a passcode before the Face ID detection would work. It's the same with Touch ID when you turn off/restart your phone you need to unlock it once by passcode, and any time after that you can use Touch ID.

No because the passcode comes up straight away in that case. On the first phone it only came up on the second “look”.

This is what I missed initially. But the video makes it very clear now. Basically Apple lied when they said it didn’t fail. Which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really curious as to how sensitive/forgiving Face ID will be. Was thinking about this as my face head was buried in the pillow yesterday morning as I could barely summon the energy to turn my head to squint at the message that woke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

... face head was buried in the pillow yesterday morning as I could barely summon the energy to turn my head to squint at the message that woke me.

My concerns exactly - also sneeking a quick peek at the time/message screen will be a much more pronounced - "hold on everybody while I do a phone in my face thing".

Also - when a clock alarm goes off in company - it's happened - what would be the sequence required to really quickly stop (not snooze) the alarm without the home button?

They should have put the finger scanner on the back like samsung did with their full screen phone.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ozmo wrote: »
    My concerns exactly - also sneeking a quick peek at the time/message screen will be a much more pronounced - "hold on everybody while I do a phone in my face thing".

Also - when a clock alarm goes off in company - it's happened - what would be the sequence required to really quickly stop (not snooze) the alarm without the home button?

They should have put the finger scanner on the back like samsung did with their full screen phone.

To stop an alarm you would either tap notification on screen or tap the side button that is now no longer just a power button.

People are really criticising Faceid before really seeing it in action. I'm sure Apple will ensure it's right when released.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    To stop an alarm you would either tap notification on screen or tap the side button that is now no longer just a power button.

But side button is Snooze isnt it? At least it is on my 6S - that's not good enough.

Im talking - in early meeting - phone is put on silent - but you forget to disable an alarm and it goes off (yes its happened to me - and seen it happen)

With TouchID - you reach into pocket and press home button without extracting the phone- crisis over.

With X - ??

“Roll it back”

But side button is Snooze isnt it? At least it is on my 6S - that's not good enough.

Im talking - in early meeting - phone is put on silent - but you forget to disable an alarm and it goes off (yes its happened to me - and seen it happen)

With TouchID - you reach into pocket and press home button without extracting the phone- crisis over.

With X - ??

Well I don't know yet but I'm sure that Apple have thought of this!

Also, I wonder if you have truly experienced a crisis in your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

People are really criticising Faceid before really seeing it in action. I'm sure Apple will ensure it's right when released.

You need to learn the difference between asking questions and criticism.

You need to learn the difference between asking questions and criticism.

You need to learn to read posts properly as the poster said they should have put a touch id sensor on the back of the phone. That is a definite criticism of faceid.

My point really is - I will await the release and reviews - I wont be an early adopter this version - as I'm not convinced from the apple presentation that face id wont ruin the phone experience.

People put up the the Apple Watch Wrist Flick working *most* of the time. For me 60 to 90% success rate reading the time on a watch is annoying but Id accept it(link)

But If I had to enter the highly complex passwords my company forces on us even 1 in 10 times because of FaceID fail it would be a deal breaker for me given the number of times I need to access my phone quickly.

Not leaving Apple - just hope they keep the 8 with home button range going forward.

“Roll it back”

To me this would be a horrible solution. If you have to put a secondary biometric authentication system in place because the primary one is not reliable enough, you are doing something wrong. Not only you make things more confusing for the user, but you also weaken security because you combine the vulnerabilities of both systems in one device.
    So from my point of view either Face ID is ready for prime and it replaces Touch ID fully, or it's not ready and then it shouldn't be deployed at all. Until I see it failing I will assume Apple didn't mess-up and it is indeed ready - but even if it turns-out not to work well I will still not want a phone which has both systems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also, protective cases become problematic when you start putting stuff on the back.

I suspect, like Touch ID, FaceID will be okay to start but not really up to scratch until the next gen. But it will be really interesting to finally hear real life experiences. Everything is just speculation until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I have face id on my samsung phone, the issue is that you need to point the phone right at your face for it to work. Not a huge issue but could be inconvenient too. However now the unlock process is 3 steps
    1. Tap to wake phone
    2. Hold phone infront of face.
    3. Swipe up

Compare that to
    1. grab phone while touching fingerprint scanner.

Not saying it's going to suck, but ..... it's going to suck.

kjl wrote: »
    However now the unlock process is 3 steps
    1. Tap to wake phone
    3. Swipe up

If it works as advertised and quickly (let’s wait and see) you will actually only need the third step.

iPhones already wake automatically when you grab them and look at them, and looking at the phone is something you will do anyway if you want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Bob24 wrote: »
    If it works as advertised and quickly (let’s wait and see) you will actually only need the third step.

iPhones already wake automatically when you grab them and look at them, and looking at the phone is something you will do anyway if you want to use it.

Then why did the boast about tap to wake?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have face id on my samsung phone, the issue is that you need to point the phone right at your face for it to work. Not a huge issue but could be inconvenient too. However now the unlock process is 3 steps
    1. Tap to wake phone
    3. Swipe up

Compare that to
    1. grab phone while touching fingerprint scanner.

Not saying it's going to suck, but ..... it's going to suck.

This is really 3 steps as well:

1. grap phone
    2. touch finger print to unlock it
    3. press down on home button to open home screen

Touch ID works so smoothly most of the time that these steps feel like one step - lift phone while pressing home button - but they aren't. If Face ID works as smoothly as Apple claims, then it will be as simple as lifting the phone while swiping up. Yes, you will have to be looking at the phone so it can detect your face, but Touch ID isn't without its own limitations. Wet fingers, etc.

This is really 3 steps as well:

1. grap phone
    2. touch finger print to unlock it
    3. press down on home button to open home screen

Maybe newer phones??? But my 6s doesnt behave like that- ive just tried it.

1-Pickup phone obviously(screen is still black)
    2-Press home button to hear click and phone opens to last app or page you were using

With the X demo it was

1-Pickup phone
    2-Touch screen (edit: ah this one can be skipped if wake on rise enabled)
    3-Show face -(very slight pause then a little padlock icon top of screen 'opens')
    4-Swipe up

Edit: 2above
    But will also add this - it works with *one* face only - its not unusual to add a partners fingerprint to unlock a phone... or is it?

“Roll it back”

Maybe newer phones??? But my 6s doesnt behave like that- ive just tried it.

1-Pickup phone obviously(screen is still black)
    2-Press home button to hear click and phone opens to last app or page you were using

You cut out the part of my post where I explained this. Touch ID is very fast and works so smoothly on the 6s that it feels like one step, but it's not. From the OS's perspective, touch ID detection (unlocking) and pressing the home button (opening the home screen) are really two separate steps.
    With the X demo it was

1-Pickup phone
    2-Touch screen
    3-Show face -(very slight pause then a little padlock icon top of screen 'opens')
    4-Swipe up

1 and 2 are a single step: raising the phone wakes it. Tapping will also wake it the same way that pressing the home button with any finger currently does as well, but it's an unnecessary step. And if Face ID works as smoothly as Touch ID, then steps 3 (unlocking) and 4 (opening) will also feel like a single step: by the time you swipe up, Face ID will have already detected your face and unlocked the phone.

Edit: 2above
    But will also add this - it works with *one* face only - its not unusual to add a partners fingerprint to unlock a phone... or is it?

I'm not sure if other faces can be added. Even if they can't it's hardly a big deal. Just tell them your pass code.

Then why did the boast about tap to wake?

That’s another way but raising the phone will definitely wake it up in most cases.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tap-to-wake came before the lift-to-wake which only came in ios10 if I'm not mistaken.

awec wrote: »
    Tap-to-wake came before the lift-to-wake which only came in ios10 if I'm not mistaken.

I assume comments were referring to tapping the screen to wake up the phone. This used to be an Apple Watch thing only and is only coming to the phones this year.

I'm not sure if other faces can be added. Even if they can't it's hardly a big deal. Just tell them your pass code.

Its seems only one face will be possible at launch.

I can barely remember my own never mind all my families codes.. :)

On a positive note - there is supposed to be an option to turn off the "must be attentitive" requirment - so you can have a less secure glance to unlock...

Anyway - looking forward to seeing one in action.

“Roll it back”

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I assume comments were referring to tapping the screen to wake up the phone. This used to be an Apple Watch thing only and is only coming to the phones this year.

Are you sure?

I thought I could do that ages ago, maybe I'm thinking of something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Tap to wake has been on a lot of Android phones for a few years, maybe that’s what you’re thinking of. The iPhone X is the first mention of it on iOS.

I’m not a person who generally hates change, I love seeing new features and ideas. So for me I’ve no problem with FaceID and the removal of the home button. I’m surprised so many will miss it.

Right now to unlock my phone I lift it up and press the home button once the screen is awake. With the X it will be a lift and a swipe. Same amount of steps, but a swipe instead of a press.

Also, for unlocking the phone but staying on the home screen, it will be one less step as I just have to lift the phone, no need to rest my finger on the TouchID scanner.

My worry will be how wide the field of view will be for the FaceID camera. That’s my only concern.

Advertisement