Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Better than the wireless charging I'm more interested in the fast charging over USB-C. Think that will definitely be the better feature, although in typical Apple fashion the cable shipping with it is supposed to be the standard USB connection with the other sold separately.

One things for sure Apple have a lot to live up to this year, every other major phone manufacturer have fresh designs which leave the current iPhone designs behind big time.

I'm still a big fan of iOS over any other OS out there, but I think Apple have been behind in the hardware for a few years now, since the Galaxy S6 was released. This year Samsung has a lot of completion with some of the phone designs rolling out, it will be interesting to see if Apple is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fancy Bear

Apple Watch charger is excellent in my opinion. Magnetic connection is nice, but not sure it'll work on the next iPhone - isn't the back glass?

Far-field wireless charging would be great, but can't see it happening with this iteration .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Fancy Bear wrote: »
    Apple Watch charger is excellent in my opinion. Magnetic connection is nice, but not sure it'll work on the next iPhone - isn't the back glass?

Far-field wireless charging would be great, but can't see it happening with this iteration .

I'm not up to speed on the technology. I like the apple watch charger now i got a stand for it but before that I wasn't keen if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Fast charging is the definitely one I want, I've had the wireless charging when I had the S7e for a while didn't really use it and it's slow. Samsung this year have a great design apart from the rear finger print sensor.

Rumour has it the phone will be called iPhone edition for the OLED version and iPhone 7s and 7sP will be the iPhone 8.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Glass is the prefect material for wireless charging, ceramic is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yeah my toothbrush charges through a glass wireless charger.

Thought for Apple Watch-like connection it would have to aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Back of Apple Watch is already ceramic.

Wireless charging can't work through aluminium. It works on the Apple Watch because it has a composite / ceramic back depending on the model.
    Back of Apple Watch is already ceramic.

Only on the series 2. Apple Watch original just had a composite back plate.

All this mentions of ceramic is making me want the ceramic Apple Watch Edition so badly

And you'd think I'd know that from having one on my wrist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wireless charging can't work through aluminium. It works on the Apple Watch because it has a composite / ceramic back depending on the model.

Only on the series 2. Apple Watch original just had a composite back plate.

All this mentions of ceramic is making me want the ceramic Apple Watch Edition so badly

Only model not to feature ceramic backs were the pre series 2 aluminium models. All the rest have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

I'm going to be in the US if it does launch on the 22nd. Hoping I'll be able to preorder on the 15th and then pick it up in the store then after. Has anyone done this with other releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

They have an interesting order system, it releases orders on a daily basis at a fixed time, you have seconds to get online and get the order placed and it appears that you are bidding against bots. I tried it last year in Canada, it took me 10 days to get an order.
    When I previously ordered online in the USA, the phones were shipped directly from Asia, so I would be extremely surprised if you managed to get a phone in the first week, unless of course you join the line of campers on 5th ave on the 15th when you arrive, this would also save your accommodation costs :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

smurfjed wrote: »
    They have an interesting order system, it releases orders on a daily basis at a fixed time, you have seconds to get online and get the order placed and it appears that you are bidding against bots. I tried it last year in Canada, it took me 10 days to get an order.
    When I previously ordered online in the USA, the phones were shipped directly from Asia, so I would be extremely surprised if you managed to get a phone in the first week, unless of course you join the line of campers on 5th ave on the 15th when you arrive, this would also save your accommodation costs :)

The big lines for launch day are really only in the major cities...NY, San Fran, Cali and so on.

Smaller towns generally don't have crazy lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eeloe wrote: »
    The big lines for launch day are really only in the major cities...NY, San Fran, Cali and so on.

Smaller towns generally don't have crazy lines.

Ok,but they might have big queues though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I note that the Keynote is scheduled for 9pm Irish Time (1pm PST) which makes it a lot more comfortable to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

How will Apple Pay work without touch?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am guessing that iOS11 will come out the same time as the iPhone 8?

The "here's what's coming in ios11" notification popped up for me this morning on my ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭kod12

Just wondering has anyone tried streaming previous events on a Samsung smart TV. Don't have an apple TV to connect to the tv to watch it and cant mirror the iPhone screen to the TV

Cheers

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I note that the Keynote is scheduled for 9pm Irish Time (1pm PST) which makes it a lot more comfortable to watch.

It's 10:00 PDT which is 18:00 IST

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

I'm going to be in Sydney for the event so god knows what otherworldly time I have to be up at.

*EDIT* my keynote time is 03:00 on the 13th :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's 10:00 PDT which is 18:00 IST

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

I'm going to be in Sydney for the event so god knows what otherworldly time I have to be up at.

*EDIT* my keynote time is 03:00 on the 13th :(

Damn you are right, I saw a screenshot of the event notification on an Apple TV and they were obviously on the east coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Will only work if unlocked first?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.S wrote: »
    Wondering that too.

If it's expected that FaceID is how it's going authenticate, I can't see how the camera sensor will pick up your face. Most people pay with ApplePay using a downward motion, ie away from your face.

I'm sure Apple has it figured out though.

The face id camera is supposed to work from a lot of angles. So you don’t have to be facing it fully to use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It should be noted that when using Touch ID with ApplePay you don't have to hold your finger down the whole time. You can authenticate your fingerprint for ApplePay, lift your finger and then touch your phone to the terminal and the transaction will go through. Face ID will presumedly work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Do you have to press the home button when using Apple Pay? Or is there like a 5 second grace time from when you place thumb on home button and touch it off the reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You must be all bonkers considering paying over a grand for a phone. Bonkers.

Keyzer wrote: »

Nope didn't realise until you mentioned it. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If you think it's just "a phone", then you're the one who is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Why? For most people their smartphone is the most important possession they own, and probably gets used more than any other item they own.

Some people work very hard to earn a living, I'd assume they should be able to spend that on whatever they see fit. There are a lot of reasons somebody would spend that money on a phone. Nobody is bonkers because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I must be bonkers, I guess it all stems from getting second hand mobiles from my family as a kid. Now that I'm older I'm able to buy them brand new.

My Daughter is looking for my iPhone when I get the iPhone 8, it's just a vicious circle.

I'm looking forward to the wireless charging really liked it on the s7 edge. I normally sell my old for new but my Daughter is looking for my old one so it's going to be cost a little more this time round and any time I upgrade.

Advertisement