Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I normally sell my old for new but my Daughter is looking for my old one so it's going to be cost a little more this time round and any time I upgrade.
    Great part about upgrading from a 1-2 year old phone, I usually only pay half the price or even less on the new one because I can sell the previous one and get a huge chunk back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

Seems the premium price is due to the cost of Samsung OLED panels.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/06/kgi-iphone-oled-samsung-touch-id/
    The analysis breaks down the structure of the new iPhone’s display which KGI expects to include a flexible OLED panel, an OLED touch panel, a 3D Touch module, and an OLED panel module. The report believes Samsung will be responsible for providing each OLED part with the only exception in the stack being the 3D Touch module.

For that reason, Samsung is able to charge a premium on OLED panels which KGI expects will cost more than twice as much per unit as the LCD panels in the Plus model iPhones. Specifically, KGI estimates OLED unit cost at $120-$130 per unit versus the $45-$55 unit cost of LCD panels. This could certainly explain the expected price tag of around $1,000 when the current iPhone range goes from $650 to $970.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Four Winds wrote: »
    Seems the premium price is due to the cost of Samsung OLED panels.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/06/kgi-iphone-oled-samsung-touch-id/
    Seems like they might be adding their own premium too (if the prices are to be believed).

Do we know if there's going to be a new "S" version of the 7/7+, too? I assume the all-new phone won't be coming in two sizes.

Read something yesterday (link to an article on Reddit) saying there was no S versions and that they were going with the 8 Pro/Edition 8 and 8 Plus.

They need to sort out their naming conventions, either simplify or switch to something completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Stupid Q-if the new iphone is to have Samsungs OLED screens, will they still be a glass screen or soft touch like the samsung phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    They need to sort out their naming conventions, either simplify or switch to something completely different.

I think the 8, 8 plus and 8 edition are easy to follow.

Edition also ties in with premium Apple watch models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

DubDJ wrote: »

Does anyone really care what the names are ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Calling them all the 8 doesn't really make sense if the 4.7 and 5.5-inch models look exactly like the 7 while the OLED has a completely different design. It will make things very confusing in future years.

I also think if Apple was going to do this they would have called the 7 last year the 6ss or 6se.

Calling them the 7s, 7s Plus and 8 is the simplest way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Calling them all the 8 doesn't really make sense if the 4.7 and 5.5-inch models look exactly like the 7 while the OLED has a completely different design. It will make things very confusing in future years.

I also think if Apple was going to do this they would have called the 7 last year the 6ss or 6se.

Calling them the 7s, 7s Plus and 8 is the simplest way to do it.
    Rumours are that the 4.7 and 5.5 inch models will have glass backs, and so will look considerably different from the 7. Other option would be to call those two either 7s, 7s Plus, or 8, 8 Plus, and the OLED one Edition, with no numbering on it. If it was to be a one-off special that would work, returning to just the two models (at whatever sizes deemed best) from next year, both with OLED so there'd be no further need to have a third extra special model as there'd be very little to differentiate it from the other two models.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Johnmb wrote: »
    Rumours are that the 4.7 and 5.5 inch models will have glass backs, and so will look considerably different from the 7. Other option would be to call those two either 7s, 7s Plus, or 8, 8 Plus, and the OLED one Edition, with no numbering on it. If it was to be a one-off special that would work, returning to just the two models (at whatever sizes deemed best) from next year, both with OLED so there'd be no further need to have a third extra special model as there'd be very little to differentiate it from the other two models.

I forgot about the glass back rumours.

Yeah, I guess it depends what Apple's future plans are and whether this third premium model is here to stay or if it's just a 10th anniversary-type deal. If they go down the iPad Pro route then I suppose it would make sense to give it a different name. iPhone Pro, iPhone X, etc.

I personally think they'll go the iPhone Pro naming route. The 'edition' name would probably carry a negative reputation after the fairly unpopular Apple Watch. Plus it doesn't really carry any premium materials like the gold and ceramic Apple Watch.

Pro fits in with the iPad lineup and fits the description better. Unusual to have such a lot of unknown factors so close to the event, makes things a bit more interesting.

Yeah I definitely don't think it will called Edition - unless of course it is intended as a once-off, but I think that's unlikely. As with the iPad (and the Mac), Apple is trying to push up the price of the iPhone in order to reclaim its premium status and advantage without sacrificing their margins. With the iPad they did this by re-branding at a higher price and subsequently abandoning what used to be the main model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How long does it typically take for networks to start offering new devices on plans? My 6 has a catalogue of problems and I've got an itchy purchase finger, but wondering if it'd be mad to get the 7 now so close to the new gen releases. Either the 7s will tempt me or presumably the 7 will come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Last week of Sept/First week of Oct usually based on recent 1-2 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Neither "Edition" or "Pro" make any sense to me.

The "iPhone Edition" doesn't work grammatically for a start. And if would have made more sense to call the iPhone 7+ "Pro".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »
    Neither "Edition" or "Pro" make any sense to me.

The "iPhone Edition" doesn't work grammatically for a start. And if would have made more sense to call the iPhone 7+ "Pro".

As if grammar has every stopped Apple. I still think dropping the suffix would have been the move, but that's screwed by keeping the 6 design again. I can't decide between pro and editing. Both are awful, yet I could easily see either making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Edition is a no go. They failed with that word with the watch even though hey still use it but it still has bad connotations.

I think it will go either of these ways.

iPhone, iPhone Plus, iPhone Pro.

Or

iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Iphone X seems to be cropping up quiet a bit as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

for those that are selling 7's and 7 plus's and upgrading , where are the best places to sell ?

• Advertisement

F34 wrote: »
    Iphone X seems to be cropping up quiet a bit as well

It is but I doubt they'll do it. They've moved away from the Roman numerals for macOS so unlikely they'd do it for their flag ship phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

peteeeed wrote: »
    for those that are selling 7's and 7 plus's and upgrading , where are the best places to sell ?

Adverts for me or Donedeal.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It is but I doubt they'll do it. They've moved away from the Roman numerals for macOS so unlikely they'd do it for their flag ship phone.
    Yeah, I've been reading the iPhone X comments as being the writer using "X" as a holding place in the absence of knowing the actual name, rather than as X being the name! I must pay more attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Guys where do you get all this other info ? Reddit ?

Yeah I usually visit the Apple and iPhone subreddits for news/updates. Always tons of stuff posted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Might make more sense to release them as 8, 9 & X and have them at three different price points with slight variations between the 8 & 9.

Might make more sense to release them as 8, 9 & X and have them at three different price points with slight variations between the 8 & 9.

Hmm you might be right who knows at this point. The marketing is so tightly closed up it rarely leaks. However something tells me they'll want to have people buying the lesser models (for want of a better word) and naming them this way will make them feel inferior to people's minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

More info has leaked overnight on the IPhone X.

I like what they are doing with the power button, faceid and gestures.

Advertisement