Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

One thing I really hope they don't omit is their new 'pro-motion' display with the faster refresh. I tried the 10.5" iPad in PC World and the display was the best I've ever seen on any device. I'd prefer that over truetone any day.

Just hope it's one of the things that hasn't leaked out yet, but I've also a feeling Apple will keep it till the next iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How much is everyone prepared to spend on this? Will they keep the entry point under the psychological level of <1000 for the euro*, or would we be looking at 1079. Personally, I know the base spec wouldn't be enough in terms of space, so that would be another 110 ish euro. A case would be a necessity, as would apple care plus for me. Wireless charging pucks probably won't be included so another 79 euro there. You could be looking at 1500 easy.

edit* Actually, it could be higher, just checking that the plus is 1029 now; my own 256gb is 1139 at the moment. I don't remember spending that much, also buying case, Apple care etc. seems to be stripped from my memory. The ease of CEX suddenly seems less appealing.

How much punishment are you prepared to take here?

Edit x2: The fact that they're going with the name 8/8 Plus suggests that they're probably going to keep the old price points, rather than reduce them to make space for the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

How much is everyone prepared to spend on this? Will they keep the entry point under the psychological level of <1000 for the euro*, or would we be looking at 1079. Personally, I know the base spec wouldn't be enough in terms of space, so that would be another 110 ish euro. A case would be a necessity, as would apple care plus for me. Wireless charging pucks probably won't be included so another 79 euro there. You could be looking at 1500 easy.

edit* Actually, it could be higher, just checking that the plus is 1029 now; my own 256gb is 1139 at the moment. I don't remember spending that much, also buying case, Apple care etc. seems to be stripped from my memory. The ease of CEX suddenly seems less appealing.

Edit x2: The fact that they're going with the name 8/8 Plus suggests that they're probably going to keep the old price points, rather than reduce them to make space for the X.

My guess is the base iPhone X will be €999 for the 64GB and the 256B will be €1099 or maybe €1199. I know people will say if it's above a certain price I won't buy I think no matter what the price I will pay it. With the increased price point anybody think they may include AirPods as an extra sweetener?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

DubDJ wrote: »
    One thing I really hope they don't omit is their new 'pro-motion' display with the faster refresh. I tried the 10.5" iPad in PC World and the display was the best I've ever seen on any device. I'd prefer that over truetone any day.

Just hope it's one of the things that hasn't leaked out yet, but I've also a feeling Apple will keep it till the next iPhone.

I see Argos at the 10.5 iPad Pro 256GB for €705 last week raging I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I personally do not bother with Apple Care I don't see the benefit it brings for the price. Products like that should not be allowed in my opinion. Paying for extra warranty is wrong in my opinion.

Anyhow, a case, just don't buy off Apple. There are plenty of excellent cases available on Ebay for €5-€10 euro and they will protect the phone fine.

If I am to get this phone, I would most likely sign up to a new contract with my mobile provider which spreads the costs over the two years.

I've done the figures and it works out pretty much the same as buying up front and being on pay as you go for two years. I'm not terrified of being locked into a contract.

Wireless charging, is not a necessity for me, it looks a gimmick and most likely not enabled at release.

If really wanted, I'm sure there'll be plenty of third party options available from reliable manufacturers such as Belkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

murpho999 wrote: »
    I personally do not bother with Apple Care I don't see the benefit it brings for the price. Products like that should not be allowed in my opinion. Paying for extra warranty is wrong in my opinion.

Generally I'm against insurance, but I did pick up Apple Care for my watch. So far I haven't needed it, but with a watch being on your wrist and constantly exposed I felt that it could easily pick up a knock. The cases for the watch are horrible (and the watches are prone to shattering when damaged), so I got the insurance instead.

It is a bit of a joke that the insurance cost €65 and if I do need a replacement watch I've to pay another €65. Still, peace of mind won out this time.

The cost to by direct vs the cost from a operator over 2 years basically works out the same. I upgrade every year so it suites me to buy direct. Fast charging is needed more IMO.

It's not warranty I'm paying for. It's the accidental damage protection and the ability to have a replacement in my hands within 48 hours. Having three kids under four makes purchases like ACP super easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not unexpected but word on the street is that the new phones will be in very short supply at launch in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

faceman wrote: »
    Not unexpected but word on the street is that the new phones will be in very short supply at launch in Ireland.

Very short supply everywhere is what I've heard (well in relation to expected demand anyway)

• Advertisement

I've heard there's only a few million available at launch so they'll be hard to get in first few months. No harm anyhow, gives time for phone to be reviewed and assessed and any glitches ironed out.

I see the leak is making worldwide news.

I actually think these leaks are good for Apple as it gets them more media attention, lots more people now anticipating the event now whereas before they would not have know it was even on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Yeah this year seems very low key people just don't seem to be buying into it this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

F34 wrote: »
    Yeah this year seems very low key people just don't seem to be buying into it this year.

I respectfully disagree. There has been a lot of coverage in technology and business news recently. Apple need a success story here, the market think they won't hit their sales and revenue guidelines due to the expected high price of the phone. Phone sales over the past 2 years haven't wowed market analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what time is this event on (GMT) tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Headshot wrote: »
    what time is this event on (GMT) tomorrow?

6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

is it me or is this event featuring sh!tloads of new products

I know there has in technology and business news but I haven't seen a whole pile in mainstream media. Even this thread is relatively quite imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It'll pick up after tomorrow. The top end phone is going to be a massive game changer I'd think.

Plus it's been reported that Apple are expecting a super cycle for people upgrading this year due to no form factor change in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Plus it's been reported that Apple are expecting a super cycle for people upgrading this year due to no form factor change in the last 2 years.

Three years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm itching to get a new phone- bought my 6 nearly 3 years ago now, and it's served me very well but I can actually afford a contract now so hoping to get the upgrade to the 7- plus the 6 is getting long in the tooth, performance-wise. Doubt I'll be able to swing the X or whatever it is, but be fun to see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If the suggested dimensions are correct I'm wondering what purpose the plus model continues to serve, beyond catering for those who still want a home button. The new phone is smaller in size with a bigger screen than the plus, meaning the plus is unnecessarily massive.

I'm know the "X" (or whatever) is going to be top of the range, but that was the job of the plus up to now.

Very interested to see how the lack of home button works in practice. To replace that without it being a PITA is the big challenge.

iphone-8-price-01-960x640.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    If the suggested dimensions are correct I'm wondering what purpose the plus model continues to serve, beyond catering for those who still want a home button. The new phone is smaller in size with a bigger screen than the plus, meaning the plus is unnecessarily massive.

I'm know the "X" (or whatever) is going to be top of the range, but that was the job of the plus up to now.

Very interested to see how the lack of home button works in practice. To replace that without it being a PITA is the big challenge.

I think the plus's days are numbered as over time full screen phones will become the norm.

Apparently the expection of using the phone without the home button is good. Tap to wake, face id to unlock and then gestures to control phone.

I'm sure they have thought this through.

Also, the power button may not be a power button anymore and may control stuff like the camera and siri and sos services.

Evidence for this in iOS11 as there is a shut down option in the settings.

I wonder will they still have finger print recognition but build it into the power button like Sony. I also hope they keep the stereo sound on the new model

F34 wrote: »
    I wonder will they still have finger print recognition but build it into the power button like Sony. I also hope they keep the stereo sound on the new model

Expectation is that touchid is being replaced by Faceid so it will not be in the power button.

I have read that it's supposed to be more reliable and accurate than touchid.

Can be used from a broad range of angles.
    Works in the dark too as it uses infrared light.

Also, will only work with a real face as it's a 3d camera unlike some android phones that can be opened with a photograph of a person.

Apparently the expection of using the phone without the home button is good. Tap to wake, face id to unlock and then gestures to control phone.

I'm sure they have thought this through.
    I've no doubt they're thought it through, but we've seen some OS ruled by gestures and they've not worked at all. There will be a price to pay for a full length screen, I think.
    Also, the power button may not be a power button anymore and may control stuff like the camera and siri and sos services.
    I hate the side facing power button - I still turn the phone off occasionally when using the volume buttons with the camera. Not sure how I feel about giving it extra functionality.

Gonna be interesting!

Expectation is that touchid is being replaced by Faceid so it will not be in the power button.

I have read that it's supposed to be more reliable and accurate than touchid.
    There's issues to be ironed out there, too. What if you just want to look at your time/date or a quick text that just came in? Will the phone unlock everytime it's 'awake' and you look at it?

• Advertisement

Right on cue, my phone starts acting up. Sound likes the speaker is only at 30% max volume. This will be the third plus I replace for this issue.

Advertisement