Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    I've no doubt they're thought it through, but we've seen some OS ruled by gestures and they've not worked at all. There will be a price to pay for a full length screen, I think.

I hate the side facing power button - I still turn the phone off occasionally when using the volume buttons with the camera. Not sure how I feel about giving it extra functionality.

Gonna be interesting!

I would be somebody who never turns the phone off, it's on during the day and Do Not Disturb at night.
    I think a lot of people are like this and that's why there may be no power button at all.
    There's issues to be ironed out there, too. What if you just want to look at your time/date or a quick text that just came in? Will the phone unlock everytime it's 'awake' and you look at it?

Good question. I think the raise to wake feature will allow you to see your lock screen and then a tap will activate unlock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would be somebody who never turns the phone off, it's on during the day and Do Not Disturb at night.
    I think a lot of people are like this and that's why there may be no power button at all.
    Is the power button not the sleep button? People probably rarely use the former but the latter is crucial to prevent arse-dialing and the like! I just wish they'd left it on the top.

Is the power button not the sleep button? People probably rarely use the former but the latter is crucial to prevent arse-dialing and the like! I just wish they'd left it on the top.

Yes the very same one. I think the side location is fine.

I'm sure it will still have a sleep function but apparently won't power the device off.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I'm ready for tomorrow, running a 6 Plus at the mo.

All the leaks will make tomorrow an anticlimax though most likely. I feel I already know everything from the Homepod leak and iOS 11 GM leak at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

So the big day has finally arrived. Looking forward to the final reveal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

F34 wrote: »
    So the big day has finally arrived. Looking forward to the final reveal
    ... of the exact price because we already know everything else :)

Leaks this morning saying the top range iPhone will actually be called the 'X Edition'. Makes sense with both names being leaked over the past few months. I like it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    ... of the exact price because we already know everything else :)

Leaks this morning saying the top range iPhone will actually be called the 'X Edition'. Makes sense with both names being leaked over the past few months. I like it.

This morning? Where have you been all weekend!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because it doesn't become news until tomorrow, no need to report on leaks etc until it becomes fact. Mainstream media won't care until it's officially launched with all the official imagery and price tags etc.

Made Morning Ireland as a bullet point "Apple to release new iPhone today".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

so it seems a new 7gen itouch is also coming out after apple (accidentally) posted the new products on their deals page

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/142214-now-apple-gets-in-on-the-leaks-iphone-x-edition-and-7th-gen-ipod-touch-listed-on-official-site

This morning? Where have you been all weekend!:D
    It's been rumoured as both separately, I hadn't read anywhere of a leak naming it 'X Edition'. What am I missing? :) It was from the Discovery leak with the iPod Touch 7th gen posted above.

• Advertisement

It appears there might not any big surprises, but it's such a big release it's going to be exciting anyway to see the event.

And there might just be One More Thing... like an FM radio. :D

It appears there might not any big surprises, but it's such a big release it's going to be exciting anyway to see the event.

an apple television that turns into a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm really hoping Apple manage to produce something truly amazing this year. The last few years have been a bit underwhelming, though I'll admit their take on TouchID caused massive improvements across the board.

I'm not too amazed by the leaks so far, but hopefully something amazing crops up.

It's been rumoured as both separately, I hadn't read anywhere of a leak naming it 'X Edition'. What am I missing? :) It was from the Discovery leak with the iPod Touch 7th gen posted above.

It has been rumoured as iphone 8, Edition or X for months.

Last week it was leaked that the expected 7s and 7s plus would become the 8 and 8 Plus and iPhone edition become the favourite name for the new phone.

On Saturday Apple leaked an iOS11 Goldmaster Beta that contained details of an iPhone X and this was all over the internet immediately.

It has been rumoured as iphone 8, Edition or X for months.

Last week it was leaked that the expected 7s and 7s plus would become the 8 and 8 Plus and iPhone edition become the favourite name for the new phone.

On Saturday Apple leaked an iOS11 Goldmaster Beta that contained details of an iPhone X and this was all over the internet immediately.

Yeah I've read all that but this morning was the first I'd heard of both X and Edition combined. Was never a fan of the Edition branding, and always preferred the X idea. Combining both however I think sounds a lot better. Wonder if they'll continue with the X idea in the future or just switch back on to previous naming next year.

I don't understand why they skipped the S cycle this year and went straight for the 8. Surely they haven't added enough to it to justify the name. Glass back and wireless charging, along with the normal spec bumps is all I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Haha! Begging for fm radio since the 3G.

I'll tell you what the big surprise will be. Ireland in tier 1 for the iPhone X.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mad muffin wrote: »
    Haha! Begging for fm radio since the 3G.

I'll tell you what the big surprise will be. Ireland in tier 1 for the iPhone X.
    Yea, with vodafone, meteor and three each getting a single iPhone X as stock to sell.

Apologies, I misread your original post and understand now what you mean now by 'X Edition'.

I personally can't see that happening, sounds more like a boyband to me than a phone but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

X being the Roman numeral for 10 and it being the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, I wouldn't bet against 'X Edition'.

"Edition X" or "X Edition".... whatever, Apple - it'll be the iPhone X to everyone.

• Advertisement

site has gone down as per usual

AOS-CoverScreen-Desktop-SF-08.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Looking forward to the event, but it's a shame to see so many leaks this year. I'm still hoping that they have something really surprising to show but it seems that most of the big stuff has already been confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Four Winds

I'm hoping they'll throw in an Apple Music Subscription or cloud storage with the 'X' to ease the pain of the price. If it's what they say.

I use Spotify as I get it on my VF plan, but I'm not mad about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

MillField wrote: »
    Looking forward to the event, but it's a shame to see so many leaks this year. I'm still hoping that they have something really surprising to show but it seems that most of the big stuff has already been confirmed.

Similar leaks every year i think personally, we always knew what was being announced at each keynote, but you just never knew 100% until it was confirmed.

Going to be an awesome event regardless.

It was Apple's own software leaks this year that leaked even the smaller details. We always get a general idea of what to expect but I've never read so much detail about the event.

This is probably the most hyped event since the iPhone 6, even the forums had become quieter around the event time but it's definately picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Four Winds wrote: »
    I'm hoping they'll throw in an Apple Music Subscription or cloud storage with the 'X' to ease the pain of the price. If it's what they say.

I use Spotify as I get it on my VF plan, but I'm not mad about it.

Be nice an upgrade in the iCloud tiers alright 200GB for 99c be sweet.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Can't see it being called "X Edition". It will then be shorted to "XE" and sounds too similar to "SE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Is the event being live streamed and any idea what time it kicks off? I know it will be 8 hours behind as its being held in California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Homer wrote: »
    Is the event being live streamed and any idea what time it kicks off? I know it will be 8 hours behind as its being held in California.

Here you go, starting at 6pm Irish time.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Advertisement