Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Killarney Mini

Options
  • 23-08-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys,

I'm a first time QUEST participant and have signed up for the mini 27k race. Can anyone tell me if it would be ok to just use my own hybrid MTB and also is it ok to go down on the morning of the race and register as I won't be able to make it down the night before. Also I've heard I need to carry a backpack with me for the entire race, how true is this and what type do I need ( probably won't be doing another one so won't be spending much on one if needed ).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

There's a list of mandatory kit on their website: http://www.questadventureseries.com/race/quest-killarney-october/race-information/

I used the 20L version of this bag (they don't seem to sell the 20L version on SportsDirect anymore but the link will send you to the 15L version). It comes with the bladder so its great value and I use it all the time in trail runs and mountain biking. I was able to stuff all my mandatory kit plus my water and my running shoes into it so I think the 15L version at that link would be ideal for you on the 27k version, as you'd be better off wearing your running shoes all the time and so wouldn't need space for them.

When I did it there were people on all sorts of bikes. Hybrid will be no problem at all.

The FAQ in the first link above says that you need to sign in before 10pm the night before, no sign in on the morning of.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

You don't necessarily need a backpack. You just need to be able to carry the mandatory kit with you. It should fit in the pocket of a cycle jersey if you safety pin it closed. My kit is about 5x3x1 inches in a zip lock bag. A buff should do as a hat just wrap it around your wrist. I usually don't bother with gloves as they are a pain for the kayak.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biffo19

Cheers lads, Appreciate the answers. Had a look at that 1.5l hydration pack in sports direct today and its great but I thought the zip on the top of the bag makes the opening very small. Probably too small to get a pair of runners in. The kayak part of the race is after the cycle and before the run and I was thinking of bringing an extra pair of runners to put on after i get out of the kayak as they will be soaked! Did either of ye change shoes? How uncomfortable would it be running in saturated runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

biffo19 wrote: »
    The kayak part of the race is after the cycle and before the run and I was thinking of bringing an extra pair of runners to put on after i get out of the kayak as they will be soaked! Did either of ye change shoes? How uncomfortable would it be running in saturated runners?
    Proper running socks and trail runners and it isn't a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john lanigan

All you need is water on the bike;mandatory kit stuck in cycling jersey ;you walk into the water in your shoes kayak and do the run there is a water station at that transition so you run in wet shoes you'll be surprised how fast they dry;;Enjoy it;

• Advertisement
Advertisement