Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just How Tough is CIMA and Is It Worth it?

• 23-08-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I am an exam qualified accounting technician with some experience in accounts. TBH I have never had any great interest in working in accountancy, but my grades were quite good. I have always been a little afraid to go down the real exam route to a major accountancy qualification, because my interest level isn't high enough and the lack of job prospects on completion.
    For somebody like me is it worth doing CIMA which would be my preference at all.
    I am middle aged and living in the West.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

So has anybody any recent experience of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I'm not familiar with CIMA, but am currently sitting my final exams with the ACA. I previously completed the Accounting Technician qualification, with good grades like you.

It is hard to overstate the level of work involved in pursuing an accounting qualification, the amount of information to be covered and the level of hours that need to be put in. The ACA is a huge step up from ATI. It would be very easy to get demotivated if it's not something that you really want to do. Have a read of the FAE 2017 thread to see reactions and stress of the exams happening this week.

Can I ask why you are considering CIMA (or any of the other qualifications)? Do you want to progress to other roles? I'm not trying to put you off the idea, but In your post you don't seem too motivated so I'm interested in your reasoning.

Humour Me, thanks for your reply. The main reason why I'm interested in doing CIMA is that I perceive it as my quickest route to a decent well paid job. I live in Galway and it is like Dublin in microcosm, with the exception of worse weather but lower crime levels and ferocious competition for any half decent job! I'm also approaching 50 so the referee has the whistle in his mouth careerwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

The qualification will definitely open more opportunities for you. I can tell you from my own ACA lectures that you wouldn't be the oldest person retraining and obtaining an accountancy qualification. If you are able to make the time and effort, it's definitely worth doing.

As I said, I don't really know anything about have the CIMA qualification is obtained, but these are the sort of questions I would be asking them.

Does your previous qualification and/ or work experience get you any exemptions to the exams?
    How much work experience is required for the qualification? Is there a sponsorship requirement where someone in your organisation has to sign off on your work.
    How is the course taught - lectures in the evening, weekends, distance learning, online?
    How much will it cost- could your current employer cover the cost?
    How often are the exams? For example ACA are once a year with repeats. ACCA run exams every 3 or 4 months so you can spread the exams over the year and skip periods if that suits.

Any other questions let me know.

Humour Me, thanks for your detailed response!

• Advertisement

So is the accounting Technician qualification in terms of difficulty relative to CIMA like trying to compare The League of Ireland to The Premiership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Connacht15 wrote: »
    So is the accounting Technician qualification in terms of difficulty relative to CIMA like trying to compare The League of Ireland to The Premiership?

I'm in final year for ACA so I can't speak about CIMA but I was still this year living on the rents from when I was studying Accounting Technicians, so I did find it a great help and the exams have been a step upwards but Technicians provided me with a great base camp to continue. That said I don't know how that will apply to CIMA

I hope this helps

Have you looked at training options in Galway?
    I don't think there are classes for CIMA in Galway.
    The system has changed since I did my exams but the final case study was very different and difficult.

Advertisement