Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a take away

Options
  • 23-08-2017 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys

Just looking for some help to identify specific equipment required just to run a fish & chip shop.

Also any help with info on what permits or licences are required would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What experience have you of running a chipper or any food business?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Dave1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just looking for some help to identify specific equipment required just to run a fish & chip shop.

Also any help with info on what permits or licences are required would be great!

There's a course you can do in the UK on running and setting up a chipper. Prob do that then work in one if your serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dave1986 wrote:

It's one of few businesses that needs planning permission. Not for building work but take away fast food premises need planning permission. This is the biggest hurdle. Locals tend to get petitions and appeal decisions. It could take 12 months from now just to get full permission.
    Kitting out the shop is expensive. Lots & lots of health and safety hoops to jump. Staff all need to be trained in food hygiene and certed.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

duploelabs wrote: »

I didn't read anything in his OP about looking for help to see if he has the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Very good question, as the post suggests that he is looking for the most basic information that would be known by anyone with some experience in the food service area.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's one of few businesses that needs planning permission. Not for building work but take away fast food premises need planning permission. This is the biggest hurdle. Locals tend to get petitions and appeal decisions. It could take 12 months from now just to get full permission.
    Kitting out the shop is expensive. Lots & lots of health and safety hoops to jump. Staff all need to be trained in food hygiene and certed.

The cost difference between equipment for a chipper (extraction, fryers, hot hold, grease traps to name but a few) and staff training is a factor of at least 100, so priorities need to be get right

mrawkward wrote: »
    Very good question, as the post suggests that he is looking for the most basic information that would be known by anyone with some experience in the food service area.

So by your point, OP is looking to get in to a sector which they have no experience or basic knowledge in and there's an attrition rate of 80% in their first year??
    More red flags than a soviet military parade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Go and work in a chipper for 6 months, learn the basics learn what you need and then decide

It's a tough business and far tougher with the just eat and other similar apps bring more choice to the consumer.

If your not running a superb operation your dead.

Otherwise rings nesbits and ask for a brochure !

Bandara wrote: »
    Go and work in a chipper for 6 months, learn the basics learn what you need and then decide

It's a tough business and far tougher with the just eat and other similar apps bring more choice to the consumer.

If your not running a superb operation your dead.

Otherwise rings nesbits and ask for a brochure !

Best advice.
    Not knowing your business from the ground up is not a good idea

So by your point, OP is looking to get in to a sector which they have no experience or basic knowledge in and there's an attrition rate of 80% in their first year??
    More red flags than a soviet military parade

Running a chipper isn't rocket science. Once you get the right help/info at the start.

You are either very smart and run several highly profitable businesses or you dont do much and sit at home critiging others. I'm leaning towards the later because with that attitude I can't see how you can can be successful.

All the successful, happy, healthy people I know tend to be open minded and non judgemental.

OP I would say call into a few chippers, preferably away from the area you intend on setting up and talk to owners they can tell you where they got their equipment and health and safety regulations that goes with it. You will be able to gauge fairly quick if it's something that would suit you or not. Good luck with everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Running a chipper isn't rocket science. Once you get the right help/info at the start.

You are either very smart and run several highly profitable businesses or you dont do much and sit at home critiging others. I'm leaning towards the later because with that attitude I can't see how you can can be successful.

All the successful, happy, healthy people I know tend to be open minded and non judgemental.

OP I would say call into a few chippers, preferably away from the area you intend on setting up and talk to owners they can tell you where they got their equipment and health and safety regulations that goes with it. You will be able to gauge fairly quick if it's something that would suit you or not. Good luck with everything.

Absolute bull****

Running any business successfully is incredibly difficult. And takes years of damn hard work, experience, expertise and effort.

You are talking out of your backside, im involved is 5 food businesses, which are operating at the highest levels in this country, everything about the food industry is challenging.

Your 'sure it's only chipper, chop up a few spuds and fry them' attitude shows up your knowledge.

Duploe is a long time respected food poster here. I'd be listening to him/her a long time before someone spouting nonsense that's both irrelevant and unhelpful to the conversation

Ahem him!
    Absolute bull****

Running any business successfully is incredibly difficult. And takes years of damn hard work, experience, expertise and effort.

You are talking out of your backside, im involved is 5 food businesses, which are operating at the highest levels in this country, everything about the food industry is challenging.

Your 'sure it's only chipper, chop up a few spuds and fry them' attitude shows up your knowledge.

Duploe is a long time respected food poster here. I'd be listening to him/her a long time before someone spouting nonsense that's both irrelevant and unhelpful to the conversation

Absolute bull****

Good on yeah. I don't see how my post was unhelpful to the OP though.

Never said it was a case of 'sure peel a few spuds ' as you hinted.

I said it wasn't rocket science and a lot could be got from talking to the people that run them instead of having to listen to high end wannabies on boards thinking their the bees knees because they are involed in '''5 FOOD BUSINESSES.''' And shut down other peoples choices... Everyone starts somewhere and at something!! Get your head out of the clouds....

Good on yeah. I don't see how my post was unhelpful to the OP though.

Never said it was a case of 'sure peel a few spuds ' as you hinted.

I said it wasn't rocket science and a lot could be got from talking to the people that run them instead of having to listen to high end wannabies on boards thinking their the bees knees because they are involed in '''5 FOOD BUSINESSES.''' And shut down other peoples choices... Everyone starts somewhere and at something!! Get your head out of the clouds....

Bandara and I both have our own food business as well as consult to other food businesses, we both gave the same recommendations for anyone thinking to get in to a food business of experience experience experience. This is not to shut people down or give them the answers they want, this is based on our functioning working experience in the trade. So we're very sorry that it's a case of tough love but OP is looking to throw away their good money and we gave our advice based on what they wrote

Bandara and I both have our own food business as well as consult to other food businesses, we both gave the same recommendations for anyone thinking to get in to a food business of experience experience experience. This is not to shut people down or give them the answers they want, this is based on our functioning working experience in the trade. So we're very sorry that it's a case of tough love but OP is looking to throw away their good money and we gave our advice based on what they wrote

Totally agree
    Some people haven't a clue about business. Ah sure it's not rocket science is not a great attitude when looking at a business for the first time. I mentioned on another thread that it's a 4 year apprenticeship to be a Barber. Most people commenting wouldn't believe me.
    Lots of things look easy but they only look easy because the person doing it is highly trained & knows what they are doing.
    I'm not sure if it's still the case but up to 15 years ago you couldn't buy a MC Donald's franchise without first working in a Mc Donald's & becoming a manager.
    OP I don't think anyone is having a go at you but experience is the key to success.
    I hope it works out for you & you are a great success :)

Advertisement