Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowflakes

Options
  • 23-08-2017 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Can this be an instant 24hr ban whenever someone uses it? Probably me being crazy as I'm not sure why I hate it so much but this post even though I agree with the topic, led me to impulse make this whinge thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104468092&postcount=13

This sums it up well
    So if the right are calling the left snowflakes for being liberal, and the left are calling the right snowflakes for expressing offence, and the old are calling the young snowflakes for being too thin-skinned, and the young are pointing out that the older generation seem to be the most offended by what they’re doing, then the only winner is the phrase itself. It’s particularly effective given that there’s really no comeback to it: in calling someone a snowflake, you are not just shutting down their opinion, but telling them off for being offended that you are doing so. And if you, the snowflake, are offended, you are simply proving that you’re a snowflake. It’s a handcuff of an insult and nobody has the key.

I called Jim Dale, senior meteorologist at British Weather Services, to see if it was ever an effective analogy in the first place. He says he can see why it was chosen. “On their own, snowflakes are lightweight. Whichever way the wind blows, they will just be taken with it. Collectively, though, it’s a different story. A lot of snowflakes together can make for a blizzard, or they can make for a very big dump of snow. In which case, people will start to look up.”
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

While I agree that the term adds pretty much nothing to a discussion I don't think it needs to be banned. It really just says more about the person using it as a defense than it does about the subject under discussion.

its only an insult if the person takes it to be one. Use or non-use would be a by-forum decision though as maybe the mods would see it as disruptive to discussion in some forums more than others. its has happened with other names/memes/phrases in the past which is in itself a cool story. bro.

Advertisement