Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing 2 day ban from Politics

Options
  • 23-08-2017 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone have a look at this please. I can't access the forum (due to being banned presently, I assume) to refer to what I got the ban for. Anyway I'm sure it can be easily found.

I'm disputing the ban. I feel it's unjustified. Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi manual_man, have you attempted to resolve this by PM with the mod who banned you, per step 1 of the process above?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Toots wrote: »
    Hi manual_man, have you attempted to resolve this by PM with the mod who banned you, per step 1 of the process above?

In the PM the mod referred me to here if I wanted to dispute the ban. I replied saying I would be disputing it. Then set up the thread here.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Grand, I'll ask a Cmod to have a look.

Toots wrote: »
    Grand, I'll ask a Cmod to have a look.

Thanks.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi manual_man, I'll take a look at this for you.

In order to do so, can you give me your reasons for disputing the ban?

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Hi manual_man, I'll take a look at this for you.

In order to do so, can you give me your reasons for disputing the ban?

Sure. I just feel like it's frivolous. I made a point, with a little bit of humour thrown in I felt. Absolutely not worthy of a ban in my opinion. Thanks.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I took an initial look last night but I did want to hear if you had any valid reasons for your DRP so I could take them into account. Here's your post that earned the ban:
    manual_man wrote: »
    Oh god, no. Not a meme!

Now, it's a thread that was a trainwreck. See the bolded text below. At one stage it had to be closed to clean it up. It was reopened with a clear message on acceptable guidelines of posting standards from that point on:
    MOD NOTE - READ BEFORE POSTING 22 AUGUST 2017

Right, this thread has incurred over 100 moderator management actions and there have been over a dozen cards and bannings in the short 10 days that it has been open. That is completely unacceptable. This thread doesn't have any special rules, it is simply the politics charter that everyone posting here must read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057553361

There have been a whole pile of personal attacks, incivility, one liners, dubious links and link dumps. People are not complying with mod instructions which means the thread has gone off the rails on more than one occasion.

Let's be clear, if you post on this thread you will be deemed to have read the charter in full and understand the need to have serious political debate and not make nonsense posts or jibes at other posters expense. Likewise, trolling, commenting on moderation or dragging the thread off topic with dubious links or repeated twitter/news dumping will not be tolerated.

If you are unsure about posting links, you can get further clarification here.

If you break those rules don't be upset if you get an immediate and lengthy ban from this forum.
    The charter states:
    Originally Posted by K-9
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.
    Frivolity /flippancy or whatever you want to call it had previously derailed the thread. The mods posted clear warnings, with clear consequences if posters failed to meet the posting standards of the thread. Not only were posters reminded on that thread, but it's also clearly stated in the charter which applies to all the threads in the forum, not just this one.

I can't see that you have any grounds to claim that this ban was unfair, or unjustified so I'm upholding the ban.

It's your right to uphold the ban. But I want it on record that I strongly disagree, and I consider this a strong indictment of the standard of moderating that ANYONE should be so thin-skinned as to find offense in what I posted. And not just that, I find this ruling to be an active disencouragement of discussion/debate, which ought to be the very essence of a Politics forum. As such I can not, and will not, take the forum seriously from this point forward, when I feel it's not being fairly and sensibly moderated. Regards,

manual_man

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi manual_man

As always, it is a user's prerogative where and when they post on Boards. All we ask is that they heed the charter and pay attention to moderators' warnings. In your case, it was not that your comment was offensive, but that it was a contravention of the moderator warning.

Closing thread as OP has indicated they will accept the short ban.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement