Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarship 2017

Options
  • 23-08-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Has anyone received a letter of consideration yet? I got 625 points but nothing thus far. Really really need it as I'm going to trinity to study medicine and the costs are mad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

I got 613 so I'm also v hopeful! I've heard they're usually out about a week or two after offers so no need to worry yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

Has anybody received a letter yet? I'm getting nervous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richiepiano123

Has anybody received a letter yet? I'm getting nervous now.

Nothing yet. I'm worried too

I'm studying medicine as well so I'm in the same boat as you, although I got 601 points
    If you don't get it with Maximum points it is safe to say that nobody will.

I'm studying medicine as well so I'm in the same boat as you, although I got 601 points
    If you don't get it with Maximum points it is safe to say that nobody will.

Hopefully. It's based on your best 5 subjects though so that makes me slightly less confident.

• Advertisement

I will post back as soon as I get a consideration letter ( if I get one of course!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 foorglass

I just phoned the All Ireland Scholarships office. They said the letters are being sent out this week (haven't been sent out yet in other words), so people should be getting the letters either later this week, or sometime next week.

Thanks for that information. I shall keep my fingers crossed. Are you hoping for a scholarship too ?

Strange how they haven't been sent out yet. In previous years they had been issued in the last week of august

It actually depends on the year. From looking back at previous threads it seems that it is usually in September rather than August that the letters get sent out. It should come sometime next week but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

I received a consideration letter this afternoon in the post. I am going to send it back as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 foorglass

Congrats! My son got one too, he's over the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fortrez

Got a letter today aswell. Are you guaranteed the scholarship if you get the consideration letter?

Got the letter too :D I'm buzzing :P Who do ye think will be the special guest?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

If you mention that you've applied for other scholarships, such as Naughton, does that automatically rule you out of the All Ireland one, even if you won't necessarily get the scholarship in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Don't mean to be nosy but can you tell me what you got in the lc (in your best 5 subjects) to the people that got the letter of consideration? Just wondering for next year!

In my best five subjects, I got 4 H1's and 1 H2. I hope that is helpful for you.

Has anyone been able to register online yet?

Nope, every time I try to log in it just says invalid username and/password or something along those lines. Is it the same for you??

Yep :/

• Advertisement

Did anyone get to log in yet. I rang them up yesterday and they said it would be ready by the evening.

I logged in yesterday for the first time but i only submitted it this morning

Ponguin wrote: »
    I logged in yesterday for the first time but i only submitted it this morning
    When you submitted it, did it say 'details saved' .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thinly veiled 'I got one' thread. :)

Nah seriously, well done lads and lassies.

Still trying to get an answer to Mr Rhode Island Red's question at the top of this page.
    If you mention that you've applied for other scholarships, such as Naughton, does that automatically rule you out of the All Ireland one, even if you won't necessarily get the scholarship in question?

I emailed them to ask, but no reply. Perhaps one of you insiders can clarify for us? It's a question asked every year.

Well it specifically asks on the consideration form if you have been awarded any other scholarships and says it cannot be awarded if you already have another scholarship. On that basis I would assume that you would have to decide between the two. I'm afraid that is all the information I have. I stand ready to be corrected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose the worry would be if you had applied for another scholarship and declared it, that it might come against you in the awarding of the AI scholarship and you could potentially be left with neither.

I have the exact wording here:

With the exception of the Department of Education and skills funded student maintenance grant- susi , It will not be permissible for a scholarship holder to hold:
    (i) a bursary awarded by the Department of Education and Skills
    (ii) a scholarship awarded by another scholarship fund or trust
    (iii) any other award payable by a public body; or
    (iv) the equivalent in another Eu Member State.

The exclusions above do not include awards such as scholarships, prizes or bursaries made by the institution attended.

Thanks for that. It does seem like you would have to choose between scholarships were you sucessful in two, which is fair enough really.

So, applying for the Naughton would not be an issue, but getting it and getting the AI scholarship would be a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

spurious wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'I got one' thread. :)

Nah seriously, well done lads and lassies.

Still trying to get an answer to Mr Rhode Island Red's question at the top of this page.

I emailed them to ask, but no reply. Perhaps one of you insiders can clarify for us? It's a question asked every year.

I still have no idea myself, I'd like to think that declaring you've applied for another scholarship wouldn't make a difference, but if that was really the case why would they bother asking?

All I can think of is that maybe if the board was stuck between 2 possible candidates to award the scholarship to, both having got the same results and points, they might err towards (however rightly or wrongly) the individual who hasn't applied for anything else (supposedly).

Or they might see someone applying for a few other scholarships as an indication that they could really do with and appreciate getting one.

Or they could use it to identify people who may decline the scholarship, and then have backups to give it to should they decline it.

But idk

• Advertisement

While we are on the topic of scholarships, not all are exclusively for the very high achieving group.

There are scholarships available to children of members of various groups and societies such as trade unions and credit unions, scholarships that are offered by small local groups to local students as well as subject based ones. Worth asking in school or checking with your parents or guardians if they are in a union.

They might not be very large amounts of money, but they might cover your bus/train/LUAS ticket for example. Worth having.

Advertisement