Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Recruitment

Options
  • 23-08-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Was reading a post over on VFT from a teacher with eleven years teaching experience but finding it difficult to get an RPT and claims that NQTs are being favoured as they will be on a much lesser salary than teachers who qualified pre 2012 - what do you think? If this was the case, how can pre 2012 teachers ever find sustainable employment? Surely the unions could take a case but what would that lead to? Interview boards can stand over their interview marks and maybe the NQT was the better candidate and fair play to them. Is it time that members of unions brought this up so panels can be formed like primary schools?
    I know that has been an incredibly difficult summer looking for suitable vacancies therefore making competition rife. Anyone else have an opinion? This is not an NQT bashing thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

I know this was a problem in the UK for while (possibly still is), but this was due to the fact that schools were given a certain amount of funds to pay teachers at their own discretion. So in theory, you could hire two NQT's for the price of one more experienced teacher.

I don't see how this would make any difference to a principal or board of management here though, since it is the DES that pays salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I don't see how this would make any difference to a principal or board of management here though, since it is the DES that pays salaries.

This is it exactly. The most suitable candidate gets the job. 50% of our new staff over the past few years were experienced teachers, some of them had ten years experience or more. They're top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It is utter rubbish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I really doubt the principal is worried about how much it'll cost the DES to hire a teacher.
    I know of a few principals who like hiring NQTs for many reasons - more likely to do extra curricular, not have kids so can go on trips etc. (I know I'm generalising but it's what I've heard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

How does ETB funding work? Do they pay their own salaries from their central funds or do they apply to DES for specific funding for salaries? I know they pay the salary directly but do they give detailed returns to DES to access a separate salary fund or are they just given an overall budget and then manage it from there? If it's a central fund then employing those on the lower scale would certainly have financial benefit for the overall scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dory wrote: »
    I really doubt the principal is worried about how much it'll cost the DES to hire a teacher.
    I know of a few principals who like hiring NQTs for many reasons - more likely to do extra curricular, not have kids so can go on trips etc. (I know I'm generalising but it's what I've heard).

Yes men (and women). Overwork the NQTs who are only getting to grips with the job and doing whatever the principal asks for 'the good of the school' and 'you'd never know what will happen next year ;)' and then they let them go after one year to bring in the next victim.

I really hate those extra curricular questions in interviews as nothing you say is good enough - 'What about brain surgery?' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think in a few cases the job spec is suspiciously nuanced.. Here's one advertised for music, then when you read the brief "History, Geography, Music to Leaving Certificate Higher Level and Law to Transition Year Level from 1st September 2017. " :pac:

It's probably a mix of a lot of things too. Language, home Ec and Irish applicants probably find the interview process fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Oh some of combinations are bizarre to say the least. I send in an application even if there's one of my subjects advertised in the list.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think in a few cases the job spec is suspiciously nuanced.. Here's one advertised for music, then when you read the brief "History, Geography, Music to Leaving Certificate Higher Level and Law to Transition Year Level from 1st September 2017. " :pac:

It's probably a mix of a lot of things too. Language, home Ec and Irish applicants probably find the interview process fair enough.

If only. I've never had an easy interview yet.

Yeah bizarre subject combinations - I said it before about post last year with my subjects but the ability to teach Metalwork and DCG a requirement.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Oh some of combinations are bizarre to say the least. I send in an application even if there's one of my subjects advertised in the list.

And thankfully a lot of schools are now accepting email applications only. Saves printing, trekking to the post office.

• Advertisement

Was it necessary to repost my response? It is possible to send an email !

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Am example of how that VFT can be bizarre. As someone pointed out the Department is paymaster not the school. I'm assuming ETBs get their funding through the Department so same thing.

A lot of knowitallness on VFT, and a lot of incorrect advice given. I wouldn't rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Absolute rubbish, never anything to do with money. There are many reasons why that teacher may not have secured employment but money is definitely not a consideration, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was reading a post over on VFT from a teacher with eleven years teaching experience but finding it difficult to get an RPT and claims that NQTs are being favoured as they will be on a much lesser salary than teachers who qualified pre 2012 - what do you think? If this was the case, how can pre 2012 teachers ever find sustainable employment?

Stopped reading VFT a long time ago because some of the posts on it were so mortifying, but what I would say on this is from a couple of friends recent experience (who have those kind of years done and glowing CVs) is their feeling is that there are certain types of principal who want NQTs working for them, who will say how high when told to jump, and who don't 'know their rights'. That's not a dig at NQTs, we've all met new teachers who are confused about contracts, and what hours count and don't count, and reasonable objections for CIDs etc. Someone with 15 years experience, generally knows what they are entitled to, has probably dealt with a certain level of bull**** from management and other staff along the way, and is perhaps less willing to jump through hoops because they've done it in the past, and they just want to get on with their job. Not about money, it's about being clued in.

I can think of one particular school with which I'm familiar where union membership is relatively low, and experienced teachers generally do not succeed at interviews. Result: lots of new teachers, ready to do anything to get the coveted 22 hours. It's not everywhere but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johndoe1962

I can think of one particular school with which I'm familiar where union membership is relatively low, and experienced teachers generally do not succeed at interviews. Result: lots of new teachers, ready to do anything to get the coveted 22 hours. It's not everywhere but it does happen.

This is very true, seems to be rife.

What can unions do if someone isn't successful at interview other than posts?
    I think its poor leadership if staff are constantly changing.

What can unions do if someone isn't successful at interview other than posts?
    I think its poor leadership if staff are constantly changing.

I'm not referring to a revolving door where teachers are hired, leave and are replaced. I'm referring to a situation where positions become available through retirements, an increase in allocation due to increased numbers of students in the school, new schools that take five years to have a full complement of students so there are new teachers every year. Lots of scenarios. Even all the extra DP positions this year meant that more teaching positions became available. When you see these scenarios exist and experienced teachers are consistently overlooked for positions within the school then you have to question the hiring policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Recruitment!!! Rainbowtrout is well clue in to what goes on and I admire the honesty.One thing I note from an ETB this summer is the number of changes/switches that have gone on from one school to another WITHOUT advertisement of the "vacancy" on any Media platform,even in-house.I hear the CEO is a law onto itself,then again most of them have pecularities!!!!

Of course you may say that a teacher can be moved about from one school to another within the same ETB without any hassle......then again look at the situation of the teacher in Galway who was badly treated and then won her case in the High Court but the ETB moved her on anyways but not to the same school as they had initially decided upon.

I'm not referring to a revolving door where teachers are hired, leave and are replaced. I'm referring to a situation where positions become available through retirements, an increase in allocation due to increased numbers of students in the school, new schools that take five years to have a full complement of students so there are new teachers every year. Lots of scenarios. Even all the extra DP positions this year meant that more teaching positions became available. When you see these scenarios exist and experienced teachers are consistently overlooked for positions within the school then you have to question the hiring policy.

Oh I know that but still don't see what a union can do ... as you said in the part I quoted you in schools with little union involvement.
    From experience, this was the worst year for recruitment (in my subject area anyway).
    I can see why principals take on NQTs because they can train them to their way of thinking as the NQT may not be as clued in as an experienced candidate. I still can't fathom though how they get through interview giving examples of classroom management, examination preparation of students and correction etc. but I'm sure interview boards assign the marks where they want to and make it look fair. I've heard of a teacher who subbed for a good few years in a school, position becomes available, they get called for interview and didn't get the job. I've heard of another who wanted an NQT on the BOM.

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    Recruitment!!! Rainbowtrout is well clue in to what goes on and I admire the honesty.One thing I note from an ETB this summer is the number of changes/switches that have gone on from one school to another WITHOUT advertisement of the "vacancy" on any Media platform,even in-house.I hear the CEO is a law onto itself,then again most of them have pecularities!!!!

Of course you may say that a teacher can be moved about from one school to another within the same ETB without any hassle......then again look at the situation of the teacher in Galway who was badly treated and then won her case in the High Court but the ETB moved her on anyways but not to the same school as they had initially decided upon.

When appointed to an ETB, you are employed by the ETB and not a particular school and should a vacancy arise, a teacher can be transferred without advertising a vacancy because in a way, there isn't a vacancy. I suppose that's why my local ETB held interviews in May to make panels so vacancies could be filled from this and as a person was on a panel, he/she could be placed in any school in that ETB.

If I'm thinking of the same teacher in Galway, there were mistakes on both sides and if that teacher has been given a job, they are very lucky.

Oh I know that but still don't see what a union can do ... as you said in the part I quoted you in schools with little union involvement.

I still can't fathom though how they get through interview giving examples of classroom management, examination preparation of students and correction etc. but I'm sure interview boards assign the marks where they want to and make it look fair. I've heard of a teacher who subbed for a good few years in a school, position becomes available, they get called for interview and didn't get the job.

Regarding unions involvement, I agree it's a tricky one, but when you consider what people are applying for it's crazy how people get hired sometimes. Going for a French and Geography job? It's your intercounty foootball that makes the difference.

Often it seems the job that the teacher is being hired for is secondary to everything else. I rarely hear parents complain about school teams not winning the provincial school cup for whatever sport. I do hear them complain about poor teaching or poor grades. My gut feeling is that parents given the choice would by and large opt for the best subject teachers possible and extra curricular is a bonus after that. Most kids seem to be happy playing on the school team regardless of wins or losses.

On the second part of your post, it's easy to give marks for qualifications if your interview panel has decided that you get full marks for having the required degree. That puts all candidates on equal footing. It's the wishy washy 'personality' category that in friends experience is the one where they consistently lose out.

If I'm thinking of the same teacher in Galway, there were mistakes on both sides and if that teacher has been given a job, they are very lucky.

The case was well publicised. According to the report in the Indo teacher was told she was being moved to Merlin College from New Inn after 17 years. Was told 10 minutes before end of day on last day of school before summer. Questioned why voluntary redeployment was not offered or why 9 teachers who joined the school after her were not before her in the line for redeployment. According to the report she is now going to Galway Community College.

Regarding unions involvement, I agree it's a tricky one, but when you consider what people are applying for it's crazy how people get hired sometimes. Going for a French and Geography job? It's your intercounty foootball that makes the difference.

Often it seems the job that the teacher is being hired for is secondary to everything else. I rarely hear parents complain about school teams not winning the provincial school cup for whatever sport. I do hear them complain about poor teaching or poor grades. My gut feeling is that parents given the choice would by and large opt for the best subject teachers possible and extra curricular is a bonus after that. Most kids seem to be happy playing on the school team regardless of wins or losses.

On the second part of your post, it's easy to give marks for qualifications if your interview panel has decided that you get full marks for having the required degree. That puts all candidates on equal footing. It's the wishy washy 'personality' category that in friends experience is the one where they consistently lose out.

Yes, I think once you say you don't have an interest in sport - you shoot yourself in ten foot. I'm in full agreement, I'm starting to think that your subject is secondary to what you can offer the school which is difficult to comprehend because even though I see the importance of extra curricular - a teacher has to give up days when they should be in the classroom doing the job they're paid to do instead are travelling the county/country playing matches. Maybe the half day Friday will alleviate this problem as matches can be played at that time.

Yes I love that 'suitability to position' where I have always had most problem with.

The case was well publicised. According to the report in the Indo teacher was told she was being moved to Merlin College from New Inn after 17 years. Was told 10 minutes before end of day on last day of school before summer. Questioned why voluntary redeployment was not offered or why 9 teachers who joined the school after her were not before her in the line for redeployment. According to the report she is now going to Galway Community College.

I'm thinking of a different incident.

Yes, I think once you say you don't have an interest in sport - you shoot yourself in ten foot. I'm in full agreement, I'm starting to think that your subject is secondary to what you can offer the school which is difficult to comprehend because even though I see the importance of extra curricular - a teacher has to give up days when they should be in the classroom doing the job they're paid to do instead are travelling the county/country playing matches. Maybe the half day Friday will alleviate this problem as matches can be played at that time.

Yes I love that 'suitability to position' where I have always had most problem with.

I can't vouch for every school in the country that has a half day Friday, but we've had it for 5-6 years and have never played a single match anywhere in any sport on a Friday afternoon. All of the surrounding schools have the half day too, and they would be regular opponents so I presume they don't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Some "experienced" teachers are teachers who are not good at the job and this fact seems to be unacknowledged by many.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Some "experienced" teachers are teachers who are not good at the job and this fact seems to be unacknowledged by many.

So experience means nothing? There are bad teachers both new and old but the fact that experienced teachers are overlooked and replaced by new ones is downright wrong. I suppose what makes a good/bad teacher is up the principal but do they take a risk employing an NQT over an experienced teacher?

Mardy Bum wrote: »

I would agree, and I know some like that and there are good reasons they are not getting jobs. But I'm talking about good experienced teachers, where schools do not want to see them go but they have to move to another part of the country or something like that and they can't get jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It is bad enough staying late for training a couple of evenings a week in the winter, without expecting someone to stay late on an afternoon off especially if it is Friday.

Advertisement