Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude/s-observations from a semi outsider

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

". There doesnt seem to a fat people MTB club "

Clubs or groups that are not road orientated seem to thin on the ground at first glance was my first impression when i moved here 5 years ago from Wales.
    Look on facebook and perhaps attend a few events that crop up.
    Upcoming is Nire Valley Drop end of october ,treated by some as a "Balls OUT Race" the rest of us just enjoy the ride and meal afterwards and the chat.

I'm speaking as a 53 yr old who wears baggy shorts over lycra padded shorts n whatever top is appropriate for the weather.
    Also live down in south Kilkenny where folk talk to each other anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

More fun from cycling

Go to go on cycle, banging or clicking noise from back wheel, had work done on back brakes

Open pouch to maybe tighten stuff,multitool and cheap Swiss army type knife gone from it

Had it in two LBS and never leave it unattended.

Next time I'll take removable stuff from the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The wave/nod/acknowledgment thing occurs in all areas of life. As well as cycling, I drive a 1976 Mercedes S-Class to shows and on club runs (but not as a daily) - when I'm out in it, you'd be amazed at how many other classic Merc drivers fail to acknowledge a wave or raised finger - I presume that they don't notice my car because they're using theirs as a daily-driver, and are only in it for the cheap tax...

PS: I work in an LBS, and we treat everyone according to how they present themselves and their bike - today, we had a guy with a completely worn-out bike held together in places with coat-hanger wire and baler-twine, who was unaware that three of his four brake pads had worn through to the metal and were chewing through the rims (he only came in because he got a puncture) - he didn't seem to have enough money for this unexpected expense, so we got him sorted with some lightly-used secondhand brake pads which we keep for such occasions and, later on, we also had an entrant to the http://racearoundireland.com who needed a last-minute adjustment to the brakes on his gorgeous €8-10k bike - both left happy with service that they received.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've had occasional 'reverse lycra' slightly sneering comments from those who prefer normal clothes to normalise cycling. I can see where they are coming from, but I wear lycra for comfort and because it dries quickly. I know it's not a great look for an overweight 50-something, but I'm at an age where I really don't give a toss what other people thing of my fashion choices. It doesn't really bother me either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^^thats good service! It is a wonder that someone that was able to fix things with strong and coat hangers would be floored by a puncture!

I think you have nailed it on the classic car drivers that are not really classic car drivers! In it for the cheap tax and insurance. Lots of new 'old ' defenders on the road - new up top, old chassis. It's the chassis that dictates the tax rate. Pure dodge (all be it using the gap in the legislation to do so)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

.......I really don't give a toss what other people thing of my fashion choices. It doesn't really bother me either way.

That's it, in a nutshell. Comfort from more than clothing. Perfect attitude, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A lot of people seem to be stuck in a kind of meditative dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 caputmundi

Chuchote wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be stuck in a kind of meditative dream.

Care to explain?

caputmundi wrote: »
    Care to explain?

People cycling along gazing into space (or driving along, gazing into space), so they're not really that aware of the people passing them.

• Advertisement

So my guess was right.. I am guilty of that :rolleyes: I'm still aware of my surroundings though. Nobody seems to acknowledge me either so..

I'll usually wave the outside fingers of my hand in the same manner as country drivers. Usually ignored by others.

Ya, generally, cyclists in the city are of a different kind. Generally.

Advertisement