Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brakes and the Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

An independent brake is required by law on the public road. So on a fixed, that means a front brake too. Can't see why anyone would ride without one but I see it. If the chain snaps, no brakes....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print

Section 93 seems to be the relevant one. Though it says at least one brake on a bike where one wheel cannot operate independently of the pedals, I'm not quite sure of the implications. The law seems silent on where the brake should be in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO it is negligent to ride a bike at any significant speed in a busy public space with no front brake, since a rear brake is incapable of stopping a bicycle quickly.

Even a child knows this.

That negligence might provide a basis for a civil action in the event of an injurious incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print

Section 93 seems to be the relevant one. Though it says at least one brake on a bike where one wheel cannot operate independently of the pedals, I'm not quite sure of the implications. The law seems silent on where the brake should be in this case?

Seems like a bell is a legal requirement also. Makes sense but didn't know.

I take that to read that you only need one brake for a fixie (regardless of whether its a good idea or not) - but it doesn't say front or back? Am I reading it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

A fixed gear bike already has a rear brake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO it is negligent to ride a bike at any significant speed in a busy public space with no front brake, since a rear brake is incapable of stopping a bicycle quickly.

Even a child knows this.

That negligence might provide a basis for a civil action in the event of an injurious incident.

I agree.
    But from reading the S.I. you could comply with the law by having a fixed wheel and a separate rear brake, stupid I know, but of itself legal. It is then a matter of proving negligence, by the manner of riding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, technically you could be legal by fitting a rear brake to a fixed gear bike. Why anyone want to do that though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

karlitob wrote: »
    I take that to read that you only need one brake for a fixie (regardless of whether its a good idea or not) - but it doesn't say front or back? Am I reading it right?
    Correct
    No it doesn't. It has a wheel incapable of operating independently of the pedals. Unlike a PennyFarthing however, there is a chain interposed between wheel and pedals and is therefore not recognised in law as a brake.

Yes, but the legal requirement is for two braking devices, on a fixie one of those can be the drivetrain.
    (2) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle so constructed that the pedals act directly on any wheel or its axle without the intervention of any gearing, chain or other device) while used in a public place shall be equipped with an efficient braking device, or two efficient braking devices, in accordance with the following provisions, that is to say:—

(a) where at least one wheel of the cycle is incapable of rotating independently of the pedals or where the cycle is designed for use by a child not more than seven years of age, the cycle shall be equipped with one braking device;

(b) in any other case, the cycle shall be equipped with two braking devices and, in the case of a bicycle, one device shall operate on the front wheel and one device shall operate on the rear wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i like the use of 'where at least one wheel of the cycle is incapable of rotating independently of the pedals'.

i guess this allows it to apply to trikes, but it left me wondering how you'd fix both back *and* front wheel of a bicycle.

• Advertisement

You guys can argue the legal requirements and all that, I'll start another thread about banning the term "fixie"

You guys can argue the legal requirements and all that, I'll start another thread about banning the term "fixie"
    Which alternative term is acceptably respectful of your culture? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown add a front brake to the Dutch bikes they import that have coaster brakes. Someone I know who bought an Omafiets-style bike there was told by the shop that it was for legal reasons.

Coaster brakes are regarded as adequate on their own in Denmark and the Netherlands (or so my contacts there have told me), but, as Lumen said, rear brakes don't really do all that much stopping.

Lumen wrote: »
    Which alternative term is acceptably respectful of your culture? :pac:

Don't trigger me. ;)

Don't trigger me. ;)
    Yay! I got a smilie!

I'm quitting boards now, my ambition is realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Don't trigger me. ;)

What's this got to do with me??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Do you mean the fixed gear is its own brake?

Yes, but as pointed out, this may or not be regarded as such legally. Works fine for me and others, the no front brake thing is a lot rarer in Ireland. EVen most going to and from track on their racing bikes woulf still have a front gear attached which they remove for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Yes, but as pointed out, this may or not be regarded as such legally. Works fine for me and others, the no front brake thing is a lot rarer in Ireland. EVen most going to and from track on their racing bikes woulf still have a front gear attached which they remove for racing.
    Only if your fork is drilled, mine wasn't - didn't have a car so had to ride to the track.  My front wheel had no braking surface anyway.  Was more worried about riding there on tubs to be honest.  Always took it handy.
    There are plenty people riding around Dublin on freewheel bikes that don't have properly functioning brakes.  My bike is one of the few in the bike parking at work that is in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

I was initially thinking it was like the old back pedal brake that some bikes used to have. But, it's not like that. It's your legs that are the brakes. The fixed gear and chain are just the transmission. It's a bit like "engine braking" in a car, though I presume you can develop a technique to make it more effective. But I don't see how it could ever be as effective as proper brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

nak wrote: »
    Only if your fork is drilled, mine wasn't - didn't have a car so had to ride to the track.  My front wheel had no braking surface anyway.  Was more worried about riding there on tubs to be honest.  Always took it handy.
    There are plenty people riding around Dublin on freewheel bikes that don't have properly functioning brakes.  My bike is one of the few in the bike parking at work that is in good condition.

But if your bike/s has no independent brake, it's never going to be legal to cycle on public road. The condition or otherwise of a bike is secondary to it being road legal.

i was on grafton street recently, waiting outside M&S; a chap on a (brakeless) fixie came past, and i got my first good look at the braking method for them = he hooked his foot under the pedal and pulled up hard. bike skidded to a stop. looked very practiced (and if i'm honest, kinda cool), but there's no way that would work as well as a proper set of brakes.

plus, he was cycling down grafton street in the evening at a reasonable clip, too. not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

i was on grafton street recently, waiting outside M&S; a chap on a (brakeless) fixie came past, and i got my first good look at the braking method for them = he hooked his foot under the pedal and pulled up hard. bike skidded to a stop. looked very practiced (and if i'm honest, kinda cool), but there's no way that would work as well as a proper set of brakes.QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else but I very rarely skid with fixed gear bike ( I have front and rear brakes but very rarely need to use them).

Observation/anticipation skills are as important as braking technique ime. My experience and skill is pretty limited so I wouldn't feel comfortable without a brake.

I know Olerodrigo did an brake free experiment for a while.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101459976&postcount=27

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a previous case: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2263354/Cyclist-knocked-down-and-killed-teenage-girl-court-hears.html

that guy had brakes but was an arsehole, which seems to have been a contributing factor in this recent case too.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Observation/anticipation skills are as important as braking technique ime. My experience and skill is pretty limited so I wouldn't feel comfortable without a brake.
    this is key though - yes, if you cycle without brakes, you will cycle differently and anticipate better. but it's the out of the ordinary situations where you really put your brakes to the test, and not all of those can be anticipated.

plodder wrote: »
    I was initially thinking it was like the old back pedal brake that some bikes used to have.

Yeah, that's the coaster brake mentioned earlier in the thread. The only brake on many bikes in the Netherlands. Not great for braking, and fails completely if the chain snaps, and prone to overheating on long descents(*), but it is officially an actual brake, rather than just effectively being a brake.

(*) Not a frequent problem in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭plodder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the coaster brake mentioned earlier in the thread. The only brake on many bikes in the Netherlands. Not great for braking, and fails completely if the chain brakes, but it is officially an actual brake, rather than just effectively being a brake.
    At least with them you can keep a bit of weight on the back of the bike. So, the don't necessarily skid. Skidding means a much reduced stopping force as compared with a rolling tyre.

Yeah, they're an ok secondary brake. Good for small kids too, as you don't get the problem of hands being too small to reach a brake lever.

Plenty of people around Europe are happy relying entirely on them, so for those low-speed utility journeys, I'm assuming they're perfectly adequate.

i was on grafton street recently, waiting outside M&S; a chap on a (brakeless) fixie came past, and i got my first good look at the braking method for them = he hooked his foot under the pedal and pulled up hard. bike skidded to a stop. looked very practiced (and if i'm honest, kinda cool), but there's no way that would work as well as a proper set of brakes.

plus, he was cycling down grafton street in the evening at a reasonable clip, too. not good.

Brakeless with no foot retention is a bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Advertisement