Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brakes and the Law

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

traco wrote: »
    That's just a different write up of the same incident that prompted the OP.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Front brake on my track bike has had the same pads since I bought it a few years ago. I think I have used them once. Important to have but if riding with due care and attention, should rarely if ever be used.

Fixie is a horrible term and use usually indicates a rider who cannot ride a track bike with minimum expected observation skills.

I still think the greatest issue is lack of foot retention and those who think Fixed gear and single speed BMX gears are the same. That Muppet going through Ranelagh on a single speed no brakes or foot retention is single handedly taking apart the layman's understanding of Darwinism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I cycle my track bike to and from track several times a week from March till October.
    I have a front brake I take off once I get there.
    I pretty much only use it when I am already stopped to bring my pedal around to get going again.

There are people I would trust 110% riding fixed and brakeless ten times over the vast majority of the cycling population with brakes I have met, spun and raced with.

I do think anyone riding fixed brakeless without some sort of pedal retention, a strap even is an absolute tool.

Hipster sled is my favourite replacement for fixie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In the case in the media much was made of that fact that choosing not use a front brake increased stopping distance dramatically.
    So by not having one you were intentionally increasing your braking distance.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/how-to-brake-on-a-bicycle/
    http://comingthru.com/2010/07/4-things-you-should-know-about-bicycle-brakes/

Its similar in cars most of your braking effort is on the front brakes. On a bicycle that is also mostly true but it depends on conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    Fixie is a horrible term and use usually indicates a rider who cannot ride a track bike with minimum expected observation skills.
    On the flipside, hypersensitivity over use of the word "fixie" is suggestive of a total hipster. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    On the flipside, hypersensitivity over use of the word "fixie" is suggestive of a total hipster. :pac:

More when people confuse your track bike with a fixie maybe. It's a totally different thing!

Although to be fair mine actually isn't, it's a fixie modified into a track bike :(

Soon I will get a proper one, oh money, money where art thou money?!

National Championships again today, and once again my bike is the heaviest even with borrowed much lighter wheels (borrowed front wheel was formerly yours Harry). She's my little beefcake :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That's a heavy wheel in fairness.

That's a heavy wheel in fairness.

It's half the weight of a navigator :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

plodder wrote: »
    At least with them you can keep a bit of weight on the back of the bike. So, the don't necessarily skid. Skidding means a much reduced stopping force as compared with a rolling tyre.
    It's very easy to lock the wheel with coaster brakes but in saying that, it's also easy to know when the wheel may lock and when to modulate braking force.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    ....Plenty of people around Europe are happy relying entirely on them, so for those low-speed utility journeys, I'm assuming they're perfectly adequate.
    Fine for flat, low speed terrain and fairly maintenance free but totally unsuitable for long descents as they heat up and become ineffective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Alas I don't have the money, time or self respect to be a hipster. I am just old before my time. Wish I was a hipster. Maybe I am a proto hipster for the next generation. Young people will be wearing clothes that fitted them well 5 years ago as the new style.

• Advertisement
Advertisement