Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could my business name be confused with Irish Republicanism ?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Bit of an odd one this haha.

So a few years ago i started a page called the 'Irish rap movement'. We mainly shared and promoted content for the irish hip hop scene. Thing's really started to take off last September when we began featuring Irish grime and drew a lot of attention form the English scene.

We now have over 70,000 YouTube subscribers and are filming and producing our own content for Irish artists. I decided to shorten the name of the page to IRM TV.

Recently I've become paranoid that investors/ potential sponsors might steer clear of our platform due to the acronym IRM TV possibly being confused with Irish Republicanism. Is this just me over thinking things ? It just made sense to me at the time but recently a friend thought I said IRA TV when i was explaining the business to him which got me worrying.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

I'd also just like to add I'm not speaking against anything here, I just want our platform to be associated with the music and nothing political even if it's just by confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I personally would never have thought of republicanism being related to that name anyway.

I personally would never have thought of republicanism being related to that name anyway.

as in our new name IRM TV ? Obviously Irish rap Movement wouldn't be I'm just worried about the acronym we are now going under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I don;t think you've anything to worry about OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one this haha.

So a few years ago i started a page called the 'Irish rap movement'. We mainly shared and promoted content for the irish hip hop scene. Thing's really started to take off last September when we began featuring Irish grime and drew a lot of attention form the English scene.

We now have over 70,000 YouTube subscribers and are filming and producing our own content for Irish artists. I decided to shorten the name of the page to IRM TV.

Recently I've become paranoid that investors/ potential sponsors might steer clear of our platform due to the acronym IRM TV possibly being confused with Irish Republicanism. Is this just me over thinking things ? It just made sense to me at the time but recently a friend thought I said IRA TV when i was explaining the business to him which got me worrying.

Thanks in advance !

why don't you post some of your tracks so we can judge the music, not the name

• Advertisement

mezzz wrote: »
    why don't you post some of your tracks so we can judge the music, not the name

Here's one we promoted in March for Mayo Artist UppBeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Here's one we promoted in March for Mayo Artist UppBeat.

ya as others said above, don;t worry about the name, looks like a genuine music operation

ps some nice bass in the above track

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'd agree I don't think you have anything to worry about. If there's company's called ISIS still doing business I don't think you're going to have any problems trading as IRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

jimmii wrote: »
    I'd agree I don't think you have anything to worry about. If there's company's called ISIS still doing business I don't think you're going to have any problems trading as IRM.

Same as above.

Only thing you need to worry about is old fogies like me seeing IRM and thinking, is that the Irish RM:D:D:D

Probably before your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Only thing you need to worry about is old fogies like me seeing IRM and thinking, is that the Irish RM:D:D:D

Probably before your time.

Probably safe to bet that anyone that remembers the Irish RM is outside of the target demographic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I actually thought it was going to get mixed up with tech firms more! The two I would immediately think of were ARM & IBM!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I don't think you have anything to worry about in respect to your question, but why use an acronym as your name? Ask 1000 people what "IRM TV" stands for and I'd be surprised if one of them guessed it was anything to do with rap. Why hide behind a name nobody will get? Why change the name at all if it's brought you this far?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ANewStart

I always knew IRMA had a militant side:)

My thoughts on all this sort of stuff is that people who don't matter will think the wrong thing, and people who do matter will know better

Cianos wrote: »
    I don't think you have anything to worry about in respect to your question, but why use an acronym as your name? Ask 1000 people what "IRM TV" stands for and I'd be surprised if one of them guessed it was anything to do with rap. Why hide behind a name nobody will get? Why change the name at all if it's brought you this far?

SBTV
    JDZ MEDIA
    LINK UP TV

They're probably the biggest players in the game when it comes to rap promotion on you tube and Facebook and their name's don't allude to hip hop at all. All of our subscribers refer to us as IRM already so it's cool in that respect.

Thanks for the input regardless man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

wouldnt have made the connection but probably best avoid tricolour flags and ak47's on the logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

When I read the title I was expecting you to have a sand and gravel company called

"Bobby's Sand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Mohammad Al fayad, owner of Harrods used to have a rolls royce with reg IRA1 - somehow I don't think he was a republican sympathiser :)

You've 70k+ you tube followers, mainly British and not one has mentioned anything except one friend of yours in jest.

Nowt to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I wouldn't be too bothered by it, given that Ian Ritchie Architects - who were responsible for The Spire - weren't too affected by the association with those who destroyed Nelson's Pillar. The I.R.A. knocked it down, and I.R.A. put it back up.

Advertisement