Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One post lifts

• 24-08-2017 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of 1 post lifts .... like this one

http://www.redmount.ie/single-post-vehicle-lift#

Seems like a very convenient solution --- but can it really be stable ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kyote00 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of 1 post lifts .... like this one

http://www.redmount.ie/single-post-vehicle-lift#

Seems like a very convenient solution --- but can it really be stable ?

Probably OK for basic stuff but I wouldn't really want to be pulling much on that.
    The two post ones are cheaper and a lot more stable.
    Redmount stuff is decent for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

It looks brilliant - and no foundation needed.

I'd be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

In the end, went with a 2 post.

The single post one has a strut going across the middle so would make exhausts, prop shafts hard to work on --- that was really the only issue I had with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kyote00 wrote: »
    In the end, went with a 2 post.

The single post one has a strut going across the middle so would make exhausts, prop shafts hard to work on --- that was really the only issue I had with it

Did you go with a Redmount lift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

lift_zpsjzx0jnrq.jpg
    2 post is the way to go. Ive used single post and its a pain in the arse trying to set up the arms and as you said it blocks access to exhaust, prop, gearbox etc. I picked this up 2nd hand for 800 off a mate. Was going to go new but this came along then. Electric locks are handy aswell. Manual ones are a bit of a pain as you have to release them physically off both pillars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Anybody using scissors lifts? The medium lift type, Redmount and Phoneix do them. I don't have room for a full height lift and I reckon one of these would be way better than nothing and in my case a certain amount of portability would useful as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

My cousin has a mid rise lift and its very handy as he does tyres. Have all 4 wheels off in seconds. Its not great for working under and it only goes around waist height. But if your restricted by height its not a bad option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I've a midrise scissors lift as I don't have the height and you don't need the 10"+ of a concrete floor to support a 2 poster

It lifts the car 1m and it will do most jobs, including dropping engines out (by lifting the car).

This one:

http://www.pitzone.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mullingar wrote: »
    I've a midrise scissors lift as I don't have the height and you don't need the 10"+ of a concrete floor to support a 2 poster

It lifts the car 1m and it will do most jobs, including dropping engines out (by lifting the car).

This one:

http://www.pitzone.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

€9300 ???

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Our local mechanic had one for years until one day he was fixing a car and went to get a spanner and he heard a bang and discovered the car was on the ground . He should have done the lotto that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Thanks for the comments...I'm going to get one, it would just be for the hobby cars where even a simple job like an oil change is so much easier with a lift..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

blackbox wrote: »
    It looks brilliant - and no foundation needed.

I'd be tempted.

Ditto!

I'm checking my bank balance and seeing how I can scrape the funds up for one of these. I have been thinking on a lift for some time but a two post lift takes up too much room whereas this takes up a lot less and can even be wheeled out of the garage to work outside where there is more light and you don't need a torch to see everything your doing. Then it can be neatly stored in a corner taking up far less room than a 2 post which is permanently bolted to the floor.

Be careful with the depth/strength of concrete below that 1 poster, at a guess minimum 7". Tarmac will not be suitable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mullingar wrote: »
    Be careful with the depth/strength of concrete below that 1 poster, at a guess minimum 7". Tarmac will not be suitable either.

I have concrete at the back of the house and in front of the garage so it should be ok, besides all I'd ever have on it is my car (1500kgs at most) or my wifes which is lighter.

I have concrete at the back of the house and in front of the garage so it should be ok, besides all I'd ever have on it is my car (1500kgs at most) or my wifes which is lighter.

Best thing to do is ask remount what the minimum depth would be and drill a small pilot hole to check the depth..

Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Most concrete paths and driveways do not have the required dept of concrete, being roughly 4 inches over some hardcore.

Advertisement