Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: Bank of Ireland pull ludicrous twitter add after furious backlash

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spoken like a true millennial.
    The people who want everything handed to them, yet somehow they claim that they are the ones who are saving the future.

When you get a bit older you'll understand :)

I want nothing handed to me, funnily enough the help-to-buy is the first thing of any worth I've ever got out of the government after paying taxes through the arse. I'd love to know what you think millennials get handed to them though, this is a really popular soundbite but never has any substance behind it.

I am more than willing to do my bit to sort out the mess we are in, but I am not going to listen to patronising nonsense from people who belong to the generation that put us in this mess and who will be long retired by the time we fully recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

awec wrote: »
    I want nothing handed to me, funnily enough the help-to-buy is the first thing of any worth I've ever got out of the government after paying taxes through the arse. I'd love to know what you think millennials get handed to them though, this is a really popular soundbite but never has any substance behind it.

I am more than willing to do my bit to sort out the mess we are in, but I am not going to listen to patronising nonsense from people who belong to the generation that put us in this mess and who will be long retired by the time we fully recover.

Like I said. No point to arguing with you. You will understand when you are older. There is no other way to show you. Just age.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Like I said. No point to arguing with you. You will understand when you are older. There is no other way to show you. Just age.

These are some truly vacuous posts.

These are some truly vacuous posts.

You try talking to a millennial. I wouldn't waste your time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The people who want everything handed to them, yet somehow they claim that they are the ones who are saving the future.

James, we expect a higher standard of posting here. The above are dangerously close to trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What do you think drove your own position in life James? I'm about the same age as you I'm guessing, please share your pearls of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Graham wrote: »
    So in your experience moving home is is the reality on the ground for many couples.

That's why I don't understand the kerfuffle.

Is it an ideal scenario, no. Is it an option for everyone, no. but.. It is happening. It is a reality. Why should a mortgage lender pretend otherwise in its advertising or policies?

It's the reality for one I know.

But historically, someone I knew in their 20's or early 30's moving back into their parents, were likely suffering from a situation that they a) wouldn't want to be publicly known and b) most people would run the gossip mill over. Be it financially ruined, marriage breakdown, drug addiction, alcoholism etc.

But the thing is its likely different to everyone's experiences, demographic, family configuration etc. When I think of my circle of friends and family, the only people that moved home in their 20's from renting were a few lads who just were in financial ruin and couldn't keep it going, and a situation involving a young couple and an unexpected pregnancy.

This, with my friend and his wife, and my best friend, are the first encounters I've come across with good earning proffesionals being priced out. Now granted the married couple, while I don't know the specifics HAVE to be have been doing something lavish or expensive at their weekends, but in fairness he just maintains it was an absolute slog and lease renewal came up and her parents offered to put them up to help them save for a mortgage.

I should claim while I am not defending people losing their **** over the ad, I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing the flippant remarks, typically from people middle aged and comfortable home owners, or have a comfortable financial situation, being all "pffft, sure you need to pull up your socks, you can't be expecting to own houses at your age" absolute nonsense.

Love to see how these people would react being told to go home to live with their parents. I'd be nothing but embarrassed if I had to move home, nevermind being in a constant state of likely aggression so poor is the relationship with my mother.

It's that sort of condescending attitude that drives this wedge in the first place.

I'm sure we will get older, look around, and see the same of idiots making stupid financial decisions, requiring the state to get involved and penalise those who are actually prudent and have their **** together.

While I'm thankful my parents, my father particularly, came from a certain background and I was taught about the appreciation of money and how to work for things and to expect nothing from no one in this world, and look after me and my own, as I've got older, I see the generations in front of me engage in parish pump politics, vote the same old broken useless governments with the same old useless policies.

So don't worry, we are being well trained in not expecting a pot to piss in from those ahead of us that put the country into the skip for generations behind.

....... wrote: »
    Could you be any more patronising?

Why dont you address the point? What did the poster have handed to them?

Are you a millennial. Are you going to be saving the country too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graham wrote: »
    So in your experience moving home is is the reality on the ground for many couples.

That's why I don't understand the kerfuffle.

Is it an ideal scenario, no. Is it an option for everyone, no. but.. It is happening. It is a reality. Why should a mortgage lender pretend otherwise in its advertising or policies?

Because they're cynically normalising the practise. Making a non ideal scenario seem normal and ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

yea, a load of SJW indignation.
    I dont see how 'dont pay silly rents, save for a mortgage' is all that bad advice. jaysus people, lighten up.

Tweets like this are just twattery: oh noes, but what of those cases where the parents DIED!!!! OMFG, you MONSTERS!!!one!eleventy!!

anyway, I really dont get twitter, its just a platform to be as mean as possible in 144 words or less.
    First world problems.

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's that sort of condescending attitude that drives this wedge in the first place.

I'm sure we will get older, look around, and see the same of idiots making stupid financial decisions, requiring the state to get involved and penalise those who are actually prudent and have their **** together.

While I'm thankful my parents, my father particularly, came from a certain background and I was taught about the appreciation of money and how to work for things and to expect nothing from no one in this world, and look after me and my own, as I've got older, I see the generations in front of me engage in parish pump politics, vote the same old broken useless governments with the same old useless policies.

So don't worry, we are being well trained in not expecting a pot to piss in from those ahead of us that put the country into the skip for generations behind.

There is no wedge.
    There is youth and then there is understanding of youth that comes with age. Nobody holds it against you. They've been there too. As I said some day you too will look back and understand.

Are you a troll?

Are you just here trying to flame people?

Just had it up to the eyeballs with the poor me millenials. Read back through the thread and listen to the moaning and entitlement.
    Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I'm apparently a millennial (much as I hate the term) who's worked since the age of 13 in some capacity. Went through college, and a master's, working my way through both and paying my own way, including ridiculously high rents and taking loans to pay fees and book costs. Graduated into a recession and had a hell of a time trying to find a job that wasn't an "internship" (in reality, an entry level role except employers had decided not to pay for entry level roles anymore so no way to get a foot on the career ladder unless well-off or living at home).

Worked hard to find paying work, freelanced until I could, and then moved 120 kilometers away from my family, having to move out from living with my partner of four years. So, we were paying two rents. Eventually, after three years, we were able to change jobs to enable us to live together again.

We both work "good" jobs. I don't drink, we don't dine out often, and don't often buy new clothes. (I do buy avocados in Lidl though.) We're financing one car but that's the only extravagance. Currently, we're paying €1,300 a month in rent and the landlord is suggesting that it needs to be reviewed upward. (In fairness to her, we're below the market average for where we are now.)

Working hard to try to save for a deposit but every time we add to it, the house prices have crawled up a little bit more. There is no option for us to move home and live with parents to save for a deposit. We've cut back where we can and are keeping our costs as low as possible to save every penny.

We're highly educated and hardworking and take any nixer we can to add to the pot but it never seems like enough. Compare that to my father who bought a family home, in the 80s, while working in a factory.

We're not unusual in this. Of the friends I graduated with, the ones who didn't have to emigrate (and most of those haven't come back), a lot are in the same boat, unless they have parents who can afford to gift them a ridiculous amount of money.

So what would you say has been handed to millennials? It certainly wasn't jobs, or at least not paying ones. It's not a large amount of welfare benefits--I was on them for a tiny period of time after graduating and I wasn't exactly living the high life. It's not any sort of public service--have you been to a regional hospital with a serious illness in the past three years? I have, to a couple in different counties, and each time it was a shambles.

What is it that makes you think millennials have such an easy time of things, really?

Millicent wrote: »
    I'm apparently a millennial (much as I hate the term) who's worked since the age of 13 in some capacity. Went through college, and a master's, working my way through both and paying my own way, including ridiculously high rents and taking loans to pay fees and book costs. Graduated into a recession and had a hell of a time trying to find a job that wasn't an "internship" (in reality, an entry level role except employers had decided not to pay for entry level roles anymore so no way to get a foot on the career ladder unless well-off or living at home).

Worked hard to find paying work, freelance, eventually moving 120 kilometers away from my family, having to move out from living with my partner so we were paying two rents. Eventually, after three years, we were able to change jobs to enable us to live together again.

We both work "good" jobs. I don't drink, we don't dine out often, and don't often buy new clothes. (I do buy avocados in Lidl though.) We're financing one car but that's the only extravagance. Currently, we're paying €1,300 a month in rent and the landlord is suggesting that it needs to be reviewed upward. (In fairness to her, we're below the market average for where we are now.)

Working hard to try to save for a deposit but every time we add to it, the house prices have crawled up a little bit more. There is no option for us to move home and live with parents to save for a deposit. We've cut back where we can and are keeping our costs as low as possible to save every penny.

We're highly educated and hardworking and take any nixer we can to add to the pot but it never seems like enough. Compare that to my father who bought a family home, in the 80s, while working in a factory.

We're not unusual in this. Of the friends I graduated with, the ones who didn't have to emigrate (and most of those haven't come back), a lot are in the same boat, unless they have parents who can afford to gift them a ridiculous amount of money.

So what would you say has been handed to millennials? It certainly wasn't jobs, or at least not paying ones. It's not a large amount of welfare benefits--I was on them for a tiny period of time after graduating and I wasn't exactly living the high life. It's not any sort of public service--have you been to a regional hospital with a serious illness in the past three years? I have, to a couple in different counties, and each time it was a shambles.

What is it that makes you think millennials have such an easy time of things, really?

So what do you think of the ad that the thread is about?

Probably just never experienced the issues being discussed, posts here a lot recently and remember he/she outlining how they stopped renting here whenever and operate through short let's. Making it out like he/she saw the writing on the wall, so likely has no idea of managing a household/family and future prospects at current rent prices?

Oddly enough shows plenty of empathy and sympathy to threads and chats about the rental market and spiralling rents and stuff, maybe just has a bee in their bonnet about "the youth"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You seem to believe that you are the only ones who are paying for things that happened in the past. We all have. I pay for things that happened in my father's time and my father pays for things that happened in his father's time. God help you if you had to have lived during the recession of the 80's where things were way expensive for the time and mortgage interest rates would make you faint. So get off your high horse of you should be good to us as we are paying for your mistake. Guess what I am paying every god Damon person who is alive today is and will do not just the millenials. If you do not wake up and take some personal responsibilities yours kids will have to pay for your mistakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Worked hard to find paying work, freelanced until I could, and then moved 120 kilometers away from my family, having to move out from living with my partner of four years. So, we were paying two rents. Eventually, after three years, we were able to change jobs to enable us to live together again.

I'll make a more reasoned argument than James and just ask you the following question: what kind of house are you looking for compared to the house your father bought in the 80's? Because I'm willing to bet it's a much more expensive one because of what you're choosing.

• Advertisement

So what do you think of the ad that the thread is about?

No response to any of what I asked you?

To answer your question, I'm not as outraged by it as some but it is illustrative of where we are as a country right now, that saving a deposit while living out of the family home is a pipe dream for a lot of people. It was misjudged and is touching a collective raw nerve. And, as someone else pointed out, there is an element of class divide to moving home to save on rent. It's achievable for people who have parents who own a home, but what if they have no space, or are in council homes (and thus can't have adult children living there), or just don't want to support their adult children? What then?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Probably just never experienced the issues being discussed, posts here a lot recently and remember he/she outlining how they stopped renting here whenever and operate through short let's. Making it out like he/she saw the writing on the wall, so likely has no idea of managing a household/family and future prospects at current rent prices?

Oddly enough shows plenty of empathy and sympathy to threads and chats about the rental market and spiralling rents and stuff, maybe just has a bee in their bonnet about "the youth"

As I've been trying to point out many times.
    Millenials aren't the only generation that ever had it tough. But they are the only generation who talk non stop about how others had it easier than them when they didnt actually. This presumption that anyone else before you had an easier life than you is just galling, but as I said, older generations can forgive you because they once were you. One thing they can't do is explain it to you because you'll never listen. You'll just gang up behind your keyboard and collectively type away at how this person telling you doesn't have a clue because he's never been there.
    So bang away. Too may have noticed though, it isn't solving your imaginary unique problems.

pilly wrote: »
    I'll make a more reasoned argument than James and just ask you the following question: what kind of house are you looking for compared to the house your father bought in the 80's? Because I'm willing to bet it's a much more expensive one because of what you're choosing.

It's not. In fact, only apartments are in our budget. Each of us is lucky enough to come from one of the counties on the commuter belt where house prices have risen drastically as demand leeches out from Dublin. Buying a house close to where we grew up is not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

"Furious backlash" aka some losers on twatter.

You seem to believe that you are the only ones who are paying for things that happened in the past. We all have. I pay for things that happened in my father's time and my father pays for things that happened in his father's time. God help you if you had to have lived during the recession of the 80's where things were way expensive for the time and mortgage interest rates would make you faint. So get off your high horse of you should be good to us as we are paying for your mistake. Guess what I am paying every god Damon person who is alive today is and will do not just the millenials. If you do not wake up and take some personal responsibilities yours kids will have to pay for your mistakes

Typical mistake made by typically older people speaking to people younger on this issue.

We...are...asking...for....****...all...from...you

We don't need lectures about responsibility or "taking ownership" believe me, we are. And I know I am. Like you, I'm paying for ****ing everyone also. Highest band of tax, and that's fine. Paying an insurance levy for the next 20 years because of some shams in Cavan going bankrupt, where the people there have the audacity to protest in support while we all pickup the tab.

I'm not oblivious to the hardships of generations gone past, nor I'm sure are many people my age. What's insufferable is a constant inability to learn. You all went through all that ****e, then you all went off and did it all again. (you all is a lose term, obviously it's not everyone, like obviously its not everyone my age)

And when my generation get to your stage, we will probably do it to. It's the pure inability to learn, the stupidity of accepting "it happens every generation" which is total nonsense and it's where all this stems from, a complete inability to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

pilly wrote: »

Depends if you value houses on what some of them were fetching in the middle of the Celtic Puisín - cos the brickie was on 2k a week etc

and some were like :

Sure you do nothing but moan about how hard landlords have it.

Which is the truth.
    Why do you think there is now a shortage of rentals?

As I've been trying to point out many times.
    Millenials aren't the only generation that ever had it tough. But they are the only generation who talk non stop about how others had it easier than them when they didnt actually. This presumption that anyone else before you had an easier life than you is just galling, but as I said, older generations can forgive you because they once were you.

oh ok cool

So you just brought a complete stereotype into the thread, even though it wasn't mentioned here.

I'll agree with you there, that clearly that line of thinking is stupid as no "generation" has it easy. There are lucky parts, there were lucky people, there was lucky situations. The land lottery in the 60's(or was it 70's?) when people in the tenament slums were being relocated, and were handed plots of land on behalf of the state to own, and build on.
    The driver license handout in the 70's and on and on.

Not people having it easier, just some mad situations, some weird solutions that some benefited from, some didn't. And that happens in every generation I'm sure, and will always happen, these freak solutions or incidents were people got something landed in their lap.

But as I agree with you, and no one on the thread, deemed to be "millenial" (which I believe you also brought into the thread) brought that point up, you kinda just barged in with a stereotypical viewpoint that wasn't even being discussed and started getting patronising and condescending.

And while I would agree with you in a sense of the "having it easier" is there a time you can point to in recent history, where someone earning comfortably over the average wage(not minimum, average, which is circa 34k) was entirely blocked from home ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's not. In fact, only apartments are in our budget. Each of us is lucky enough to come from one of the counties on the commuter belt where house prices have risen drastically as demand leeches out from Dublin. Buying a house close to where we grew up is not feasible.

You didn't really answer my question but how and ever.

My point is, in the 80's people were paying a much higher tax rate than they do now and bank interest was 20 times the rate.

So if your father bought a house as a factory worker then he done one of a two things:

1. Bought a council house-people look down their nose on this now.
    2. Worked 70-80 hours per week and spent feck all.

So how did he have it any easier than you have? What's different?

My first rent between my boyfriend and me was 28 pound per week for a bedsit with shared bathroom and kitchen when between we were earning 134 pound. So it's all relative.

I'm not aiming this specifically at you but I've pointed out plenty of places to people priced under 350k and the answer is that they wouldn't live in such a place so it's all about snobbery for some.

Advertisement