Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: Bank of Ireland pull ludicrous twitter add after furious backlash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Avocado on toast?
    Obviously, I've missed something- though somehow, I suspect its not something that really matters...... Kinda like the add they pulled, actually........

No, it's called Avocado Toast.

Apparently the thing for young trendy brunch eaters to munch on instead of saving for a deposit.

The reference is known internationally, I've seen sarcastic comments about it in the media at home too.

Generation Snowflake do not like being told that they cannot have their cake and eat it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

Apparently the thing for young trendy brunch eaters to munch on instead of saving for a deposit.

The reference is known internationally, I've seen sarcastic comments about it in the media at home too.

Generation Snowflake do not like being told that they cannot have their cake and eat it too.

There's avocado cake as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What cake do they have?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dennyk wrote: »
    Now "avocados" has become a meme about how out-of-touch the wealthy are about the financial reality for most young people these days who don't have strangely generous bosses or wealthy family members to front the money for them to get into lucrative businesses themselves.

Theres a kernel of truth in it though, uncomfortable as that may seem. Middle class professional people in their 60s and 70s typically didnt eat in restaurants or go to the pub except on special occasions. They didnt have any foreign holidays beyond the occasional ferry over to the UK or a once in a lifetime week in the costa. When they first moved into their houses they asked relatives if they had any old tables/chairs matresses etc because they couldnt afford to fully furnish the house, or got mates to help out with the painting etc. They learned DIY and did work themselves. Luxury items might include a second hand car, washing mahine etc. My parents for example took out a personal loan to buy a CRT telly. Wedding receptions were a buffet in a pub or the like. A wedding "breakfast" was more normal than a 3 course meal and band in a country house.

But that generation could afford to buy good houses in good suburbs of Dublin or Cork or Galway.

Now middle class 20/30 something professionals have a quality of life way in excess of their parents in all areas but accommodation. €50-100 a week on booze or restaurants seems to be standard these days but over a year thats €5-10,000. Over 5 years thats a deposit. I visited more countries in a single trip after college but before serious work than my parents have visited in their entire lives. The quality of food has gone way up, most people have a tv washing machine etc - all the gadgets. People in this demographic own expensive cars - i know people who own BMWs and rent. I only know one person who has bought a house and is doing it up DIY piece by piece. All the others got decorators in straight away to do it up as they like it. And the cost of weddings - there was a time when people would give cash gifts to a bride and groom to help them with a deposit. Now they are lucky if the cash presents defray some of the cost of the wedding.

Im not saying there is a connection between the two, even if there was its hard to say whether people dont own property because they spend too much on other things or that they spend too much on other things because property ownership seems unachieveable.

But there is a generational gap in terms of lifestyle and I think it is important to recognise that while people of our parents generation own properties that seem impossibly out of reach for us, the idea of a casual holiday to China or six months in South America or going to nightclubs every weekend or eating in michelin starred restaurants seems impossibly decadent to them!

• Advertisement

Theres a kernel of truth in it though, uncomfortable as that may seem. Middle class professional people in their 60s and 70s typically didnt eat in restaurants or go to the pub except on special occasions. They didnt have any foreign holidays beyond the occasional ferry over to the UK or a once in a lifetime week in the costa. When they first moved into their houses they asked relatives if they had any old tables/chairs matresses etc because they couldnt afford to fully furnish the house, or got mates to help out with the painting etc. They learned DIY and did work themselves. Luxury items might include a second hand car, washing mahine etc. My parents for example took out a personal loan to buy a CRT telly. Wedding receptions were a buffet in a pub or the like. A wedding "breakfast" was more normal than a 3 course meal and band in a country house.

But that generation could afford to buy good houses in good suburbs of Dublin or Cork or Galway.

Now middle class 20/30 something professionals have a quality of life way in excess of their parents in all areas but accommodation. €50-100 a week on booze or restaurants seems to be standard these days but over a year thats €5-10,000. Over 5 years thats a deposit. I visited more countries in a single trip after college but before serious work than my parents have visited in their entire lives. The quality of food has gone way up, most people have a tv washing machine etc - all the gadgets. People in this demographic own expensive cars - i know people who own BMWs and rent. I only know one person who has bought a house and is doing it up DIY piece by piece. All the others got decorators in straight away to do it up as they like it. And the cost of weddings - there was a time when people would give cash gifts to a bride and groom to help them with a deposit. Now they are lucky if the cash presents defray some of the cost of the wedding.

Im not saying there is a connection between the two, even if there was its hard to say whether people dont own property because they spend too much on other things or that they spend too much on other things because property ownership seems unachieveable.

But there is a generational gap in terms of lifestyle and I think it is important to recognise that while people of our parents generation own properties that seem impossibly out of reach for us, the idea of a casual holiday to China or six months in South America or going to nightclubs every weekend or eating in michelin starred restaurants seems impossibly decadent to them!

It is all relative.

Your parents would have done things that seemed impossibly decadent to their parents and so on. It does not mean that today's generation is going out splashing the cash and living a luxury lifestyle and having everything handed to them.

People go on holidays and eat out because the cost of doing it is less than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Stupid add but we don't have it that bad compared to other Euro countries. Stop the whinging now and get back to work.

https://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/region_rankings.jsp?title=2017-mid&region=150

https://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2017-mid&region=150

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd say the previous generation drank more than the current does.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

awec wrote: »
    It is all relative.

Your parents would have done things that seemed impossibly decadent to their parents and so on. It does not mean that today's generation is going out splashing the cash and living a luxury lifestyle and having everything handed to them.

People go on holidays and eat out because the cost of doing it is less than it used to be.

In fairness I know the exact people johnny is mentioning. I know some as friends, family, acquintances and colleagues.

But I consider these people whingers, disconnected, moronic,financially stupid, spoiled, can always get bailed out by decently well flush parents or numerous other terms. And I'm one of the first to pull them up with things like "ah you poor thing and only back from your three weeks in Portugal, life is tough isnt it"

I don't denote them as a generation, because they behave and think in a polar opposite to me, and these people are typically the same age.

That's the issue I have with the generation assumptions, and those people who foam at the mouth crying about entitlement, these people have me in this "box" yet I behave, act and think totally separately.

Like even this thread some people saying I am like that, actually boiled my piss and I had to delete some posts cause I would have been banned. If I was in a conversation somewhere with someone who out of the blue started calling me that I'd struggle not to burst them. Because it is a case you don't know me, you havn't walked in my shoes, you've put me in this fanciful little label which just completely discredits and discounts the hardships and struggles I've had in my life, like we all do.

I'm a pretty laid back person but nothing gets me going than being labelled generationally, because to be frank I do rail against "snowflakes" and sensitive cases, I was brought up a certain way and I have some old school thinking even for being 29 and I frequently feel totally disconnected and different (and happy to be) then so many of my peers or agegroup who I would agree behave and go on in the way johnny and others have expressed, and then have the audacity the cry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The bank pulled the ad cause they knew they'd pushed it to far. Normalising adults moving back in to their parents in their thirties was a cynical ploy. They're using the unhealthy housing situation and cynical suggestions to get business.

People called them out on it.

If reality means you have to move in to your parents house in your thirties that may be the case, it doesn't mean it's right.

But they are not telling you that you have to do this. I think some are seeing something that is not there just to get offended.

Can we not now mention any suggestion that everyone can't do. So we can not now mention renting as not everyone can do that, we can not now mention moving out to other areas in Dublin or any other place as not everyone can do that. Can we not now tell people who own a house that maybe renting out a room is an option to make money because not everyone can not do it.

Is the above in bold nonsense yes because there just a suggestion of what people can do it not normallising it, its not telling people what they have to do. IT IS JUST AN OPTION. Just like what the Bank of Ireland ad is it is an option that some can do not all

awec wrote: »
    This is not normal.

It's normal in my area, not just family but in the wider community.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Is it maybe the case the county you live (I'm assuming you are not in Dublin) in has maybe the environment whereby it's relatively affordable and achievable for a financially prudent person to be in a position to buy in their early 20's? Whatever about the way house prices went in Dublin, it never appeared to be something available for me, that's for sure.

You are correct, I'm not from Dublin or even close.

I didn't mean to live at home until early 20's and then move out and buy, I moved out at 24 and wouldn't mind if I was still living at home now (in my early 30's) if it meant having a small mortgage when I did build/buy. The people I am saying lived at home and then moved out into their own houses generally were very late 20's moving out and lived nice lifestyles too but at the same time where able to save plenty due to not having to pay rent.

It's quite possible I will move back into home with my oh as we plan to move back to my home area and build so the obvious thing is to move in home while the house is being built, especially as it will be right next door and easy to help with the construction/manage the build etc.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Typical mistake made by typically older people speaking to people younger on this issue.

We...are...asking...for....****...all...from...you

We don't need lectures about responsibility or "taking ownership" believe me, we are. And I know I am. Like you, I'm paying for ****ing everyone also. Highest band of tax, and that's fine. Paying an insurance levy for the next 20 years because of some shams in Cavan going bankrupt, where the people there have the audacity to protest in support while we all pickup the tab.

I'm not oblivious to the hardships of generations gone past, nor I'm sure are many people my age. What's insufferable is a constant inability to learn. You all went through all that ****e, then you all went off and did it all again. (you all is a lose term, obviously it's not everyone, like obviously its not everyone my age)

And when my generation get to your stage, we will probably do it to. It's the pure inability to learn, the stupidity of accepting "it happens every generation" which is total nonsense and it's where all this stems from, a complete inability to learn.

I obviously sent some not all (was on the mobile and could not edit) but there is a lot in here who believe they are the one's to pay and no one else and the past generations had it easier. I think you might be surprised of what some people you age bracket believe about older generations and be surprised how they scrimped to pay not only 18%+(been very kind here) interest rates for mortgage never mind the taxes they paid. Also how old people were when they left home and got a house. Can you not see moving back in to parents house (If they allow) is AN OPTION for some and no where is it been normalized by the ad by Bank of Ireland. It is the outrage by people that is brining this to the fore then the ad could every do. It would have been all over and forgotten in weeks.

You have been asked this before but have not asked what is your solution

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I obviously sent some not all (was on the mobile and could not edit) but there is a lot in here who believe they are the one's to pay and no one else and the past generations had it easier. I think you might be surprised of what some people you age bracket believe about older generations and be surprised how they scrimped to pay not only 18%+(been very kind here) interest rates for mortgage never mind the taxes they paid. Also how old people were when they left home and got a house. Can you not see moving back in to parents house (If they allow) is AN OPTION for some and no where is it been normalized by the ad by Bank of Ireland. It is the outrage by people that is brining this to the fore then the ad could every do. It would have been all over and forgotten in weeks.

You have been asked this before but have not asked what is your solution

Ad campaign of the year so far I'd say.
    I reckon Michael O'Leary is at this very moment trying to poach the brains behind it.

Ad says nothing offensive whatssoever, but get the Twitterflakes hammering away and making it viral, all the while as they do, believing that they are right be cause they typed it on Twitter, yet broadening the reach of the ad like nobodies business.

Pure fcuking genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Not to do with the ad really is it, the ad is about saving for a house, which is just common sense.

It's this amazing power of social media etc. nowadays to damage and destroy. I bet a lot of the people piling in don't really give a toss about the ad, they just want to put the boot into an easy target (and it is a bank after all) that is dubiously exposed.

Reminds me of that Louis Theroux documentary in the US prison - sometimes when a new inmate arrives, someone shouts 'snitch' and everyone in the cell batters the new guy. Poor guy was in on GTA, didn't even have anyone to snitch on!

Mob rule and abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I was born in 1985, what group do I fall in to ? I need to know so I can point my shame finger at everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It was always common, bar one aunt who moved abroad my parents and their siblings on both sides lived at home until they were married and/or bought/built their own place. On both my parents sides one sibling never moved out and took on the family home moving in their spouse.

A gang of siblings in their 20s all living at home until they marry? That sounds like an absolutely head-wrecking situation. And I say that as someone who gets on well with her parents and siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Rezident wrote: »
    Not to do with the ad really is it, the ad is about saving for a house, which is just common sense.

It's this amazing power of social media etc. nowadays to damage and destroy. I bet a lot of the people piling in don't really give a toss about the ad, they just want to put the boot into an easy target (and it is a bank after all) that is dubiously exposed.

Reminds me of that Louis Theroux documentary in the US prison - sometimes when a new inmate arrives, someone shouts 'snitch' and everyone in the cell batters the new guy. Poor guy was in on GTA, didn't even have anyone to snitch on!

Mob rule and abuse of power.

At the end of the day, it won't do any brand damage when looking for a mortgage.
    You go with the bank that lends you the money you need at the lowest rate you can get.
    No one in their right mind would pay more interest to another bank because BOI advertised a blog post about someone moving home to save a deposit. And if they would pay more, then they deserve the snowflake reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Property in Dublin is seriously unaffordable. For it to become affordable, it is going to have to radically drop in price, or salaries are going to have to go up fairly sharpish.

I wonder how many people complaining about millenials being entitled and demanding not to have to kip in with their parents until long after they should be parents themselves actually already own the property which in practical terms should half in price so that it would be affordable.

It seems to me that the entitled class are the class who don't want to be selling their property for less than they think it's worth to the generation coming after them. We've been there before.

It is ludicrous that people think it is or should be normal that people should be living with their parents well into adulthood. And on top of that, many people don't work that close to where their parents live so it isn't even a practical solution for a lot of people.

Calina wrote: »
    Property in Dublin is seriously unaffordable. For it to become affordable, it is going to have to radically drop in price, or salaries are going to have to go up fairly sharpish.

I wonder how many people complaining about millenials being entitled and demanding not to have to kip in with their parents until long after they should be parents themselves actually already own the property which in practical terms should half in price so that it would be affordable.

It seems to me that the entitled class are the class who don't want to be selling their property for less than they think it's worth to the generation coming after them. We've been there before.

It is ludicrous that people think it is or should be normal that people should be living with their parents well into adulthood. And on top of that, many people don't work that close to where their parents live so it isn't even a practical solution for a lot of people.

In fairness I think most people recognise this is not normal. Being in your late twenties or early thirties and still living off mummy and daddy is certainly not the norm and nor should it be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Property in Dublin is seriously unaffordable.

If it was unaffordable nobody would be buying it.

There are people with good salaries who are willing and able to save and buy houses.

Why the hell should someone sell the house for less just because you want a place in the city. Its there house they can do what they want.

There are also those who want a laundry list for there place and will not compromise I feel there are also the entitled class. When I went to buy my place and look around I had what I wanted but realised it may not be possible so I compromised the amount of space distance from where I wanted etc and guess what then more places opened up and I paid less then if I tried to find the ideal place. Its mine I love it is it where I want it no, is it the size I would like no but you can't always get what you want.

Who said leaving with you parents into your adulthood is normal as far as I can see either did the ad. It is an option which this person could take and they did it not telling you you have to or if you don't you are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Did you see the twitter ad?

It details how Orla and her boyfriend moved back home with their parents in order to save for a mortgage on a house. Not how Orla never moved out of her parents house till her early thirties.

I understand that the point I was making is that adults living at home is a common thing, either always living at home or more often recently moving back in. Moving back in to save is common now, despite you appearing to think otherwise. I also don't see why anyone would have an issue with it.
    I never thought I would agree with nox on anything, but I agree with this. Pooling of communal resources was and often still is the key to family survival and/prosperity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dennyk wrote: »
    Some rich Aussie real estate dude being interviewed on 60 Minutes a few months ago was going on about how he could afford to buy his first home because he wasn't spending money on avocados like all these whiny millennials. He of course didn't mention that he first got into the property gig when his boss purchased a flat and let him renovate it in exchange for the profit when it sold, then his grandpa gave him a loan to fund the deposit on his next property. Now "avocados" has become a meme about how out-of-touch the wealthy are about the financial reality for most young people these days who don't have strangely generous bosses or wealthy family members to front the money for them to get into lucrative businesses themselves.

He had a point though. RTE ran a show a couple of years ago, I think it was call money and me where the presenters advised people how to save money. One couple were trying to save a house deposit and they had to be advised not to spend a fortune in gourmet takeout coffees every day, not to go out to restaurants twice a week and when they switched to cooking at home, not to be buying expensive wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was just a suggestion on how to save money, I don't have parents but I went back live in the home house where my brother lives for a few years to save up the deposit for my place.

Of course I asked him first and he was cool about it so it's the same principal for what the ad was suggesting, obviously ask before moving in.

Banks are not going to lend recklessly any more and it's up to the person looking for a mortgage to save for the deposit, not an easy job with rents so high but that's just the way it is.

It's funny to see the likes of Richard Chambers and Collette Browne jumping all over this advert when both of them are probably on nearly 100 k a year, as if they have anything in common with a person trying to save for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

But they are not telling you that you have to do this. I think some are seeing something that is not there just to get offended.

Can we not now mention any suggestion that everyone can't do. So we can not now mention renting as not everyone can do that, we can not now mention moving out to other areas in Dublin or any other place as not everyone can do that. Can we not now tell people who own a house that maybe renting out a room is an option to make money because not everyone can not do it.

Is the above in bold nonsense yes because there just a suggestion of what people can do it not normallising it, its not telling people what they have to do. IT IS JUST AN OPTION. Just like what the Bank of Ireland ad is it is an option that some can do not all

Who's this "we" you talk about? Are you a Bank of Ireland representative?

You, as a poster on a forum can advise what you want. You can tell people to rent, move to their folks home, sell their organs, rent a room etc...

But you're, just like me some person on the internet.

The advertisement isn't advice from some clown in the internet, but it's BOI, a bailed out bank. A bailed out bank that's monopolising on a housing crisis to get some business in! And the clowns are falling for it! I work in this area and it's great to see media winning the fanboys/girls, but really??

Orla and her boyfriend moved to Dubai for four years. Now they can afford a mortgage with BOI. (we are great)

Orla's boyfriend worked on the mines in Australia for four years whilst she minded kids. It was miserable, they missed their family, but now they can afford a sniff of a mortgage with BOI. (we're amazing, you can do this too)

Orla and her boyfriend sold their engagement ring and all their gold jewelry to afford a mortgage with BOI. (aren't they lucky, you can be lucky too)

I know we all have to make sacrifices to hop on the ladder, and I did. I did it a few times and went through hard times. But this suggestive advertisement from professional bodies, these cynical nudges, these sly hints, these happy, smiley taunts, these passive pushes from these banks are clever. Very clever.
    They're smart.
    They're cynical.
    They're sly.
    They're subtle.
    They're manipulating.
    They're heavily researched, they know the target market. They are taking advantage of a strangled housing shortage to make a few bucks.

I work in this area. Don't be fooled. They're in an enviable position - making hay whilst the sun isn't shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

John_Rambo wrote:
    I know we all have to make sacrifices to hop on the ladder, and I did. I did it a few times and went through hard times. But this suggestive advertisement from professional bodies, these cynical nudges, these sly hints, these happy, smiley taunts, these passive pushes from these banks are clever. Very clever. They're smart. They're cynical. They're sly. They're subtle. They're manipulating. They're heavily researched, they know the target market. They are taking advantage of a strangled housing shortage to make a few bucks.

John_Rambo wrote:
    I work in this area. Don't be fooled. They're in an enviable position - making hay whilst the sun isn't shining.

Yeah mate, it's called marketing. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah mate, it's called marketing. Get over it.

I’m all over it. I work on these campaigns, I also have a house and have owned a few at this stage. So it doesn’t really affect me.

I just don’t think it’s normal for fully employed, fully grown, hard working adults to move in to their parents house so they can avail of a mortgage.

They’re fooling you in to thinking that it is. And people are falling for it! They think it’s perfectly normal!

I’m all over it. I work on these campaigns, I also have a house and have owned a few at this stage. So it doesn’t really affect me.

I just don’t think it’s normal for fully employed, fully grown, hard working adults to move in to their parents house so they can avail of a mortgage.

They’re fooling you in to thinking that it is. And people are falling for it! They think it’s perfectly normal!

Why are you refusing to accept that it is common nowadays, just look at the amount of people in this thread saying they have done it or know people doing it. It also is a fairly normal thing to do, even if you could afford to rent and save isn't living at home rent free and saving much more thus allowing to to buy faster or buy with a lower mortgage a very sensible financial approach.

• Advertisement

............... isn't living at home rent free and saving much more thus allowing to to buy faster or buy with a lower mortgage a very sensible financial approach.

Folks in their 20s and 30s living at home rent free can't be normal. What sort of a bum would do that?

Advertisement