Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: Bank of Ireland pull ludicrous twitter add after furious backlash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

John_Rambo wrote: »

I just don’t think it’s normal for fully employed, fully grown, hard working adults to move in to their parents house so they can avail of a mortgage.

They’re fooling you in to thinking that it is. And people are falling for it! They think it’s perfectly normal!

BOI aren't fooling anyone. This was happening long before the ad this week. And many think it's perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know you keep saying it's normal nox but it really isn't.

Someone at that age should really be an independent person. They are adults.

....... wrote: »

Contribute towards shopping and some bills but certainly not pay rent if any form. I know my parents would laugh if I was to suggest paying rent if I moved back in home, I'd struggle to get them to accept money for food/bills even.
    awec wrote: »
    I know you keep saying it's normal nox but it really isn't.

Someone at that age should really be an independent person. They are adults.

Why do I see and know so many people live at home till their late 20's if its not normal? If its possible to live at home until you are in a position to buy that's much more valuable than being an "independent person" (what ever that is) and being financially worse off. As I said there is a very good chance I will move back in home in the near future when I move back to my home area while building a house, I'll be pushing towards my mid 30's at that stage and it won't bother me in the slightest. Truth be told I would never have moved out, if my job was a commutable distance, until I was buying/building.

Why do I see and know so many people live at home till their late 20's if its not normal?

Depends on your circle of friends and acquaintances really.

From my experience 10% of my college/workplace friends/acquaintances would have done so.

20/30% + of my male friends/acquaintances who were in the building game etc would have ended up back at home due to economic reasons.

You get the dole heads / bag of cans lads too, it's normal for them until their girlfriend and kids get the council house.

For most people in their late 20s/early 30s it's not normal.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Depends on your circle of friends and acquaintances really.

From my experience 10% of my college/workplace friends/acquaintances would have done so.

20/30% + of my male friends/acquaintances who were in the building game etc would have ended up back at home due to economic reasons.

You get the dole heads / bag of cans lads too, it's normal for them until their girlfriend and kids get the council house.

For most people in their late 20s/early 30s it's not normal.

Most people I know who lived at home until late 20's have good jobs, but the jobs are close to where they live so why on earth would they pay rent for the sake of it. Of my group of friends who own their own home the highest percentage are the ones who lived at home until they bought and skipped renting.

Contribute towards shopping and some bills but certainly not pay rent if any form. I know my parents would laugh if I was to suggest paying rent if I moved back in home, I'd struggle to get them to accept money for food/bills even.

Why do I see and know so many people live at home till their late 20's if its not normal? If its possible to live at home until you are in a position to buy that's much more valuable than being an "independent person" (what ever that is) and being financially worse off. As I said there is a very good chance I will move back in home in the near future when I move back to my home area while building a house, I'll be pushing towards my mid 30's at that stage and it won't bother me in the slightest. Truth be told I would never have moved out, if my job was a commutable distance, until I was buying/building.

I think this kind of sums it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Augeo wrote: »
    Folks in their 20s and 30s living at home rent free can't be normal. What sort of a bum would do that?

I guess I'm one of those bums, as are my last two friends who bought houses. While it may not make sense to you, it allowed me to save €30,000 in a year to use towards our house. It also makes sense to live somewhere that you can leave without notice, moving back in with my Dad allowed us to sell our apartment before we found a house and meant we didn't have anything blocking us when we wanted to buy.

Just because you think it's bum like behaviour to move back in with parents it's happening, a lot, perhaps for you it's not something you want to do now, but who knows when you have a family and are trying to save for a deposit on a house you too will become a bum.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I think there are a few different discussions happening here. Firstly, nobody is denying that adults living at home actually happens. Unfortunately for some it is unavoidable.

What people are disputing is that this is a completely normal thing to happen. Firstly, these people are adults, they should be independent people. If someone is still living with mummy and daddy but has the financial means to live elsewhere then it shows a lack of responsibility and a lack of independence, really it's just a bit odd.

If people are forced to go home to mum and dad then something somewhere along the line has gone wrong that may or may not be their fault. It's not a normal thing to happen and it shouldn't happen. It is a fairly sad state of affairs if people are forced to go down this road.

As for adults living at home and not paying their way? Leeches. They are basically children. Personally I would be embarrassed to live like this.

• Advertisement

It's not as cut and dry as you like to portray. In my case my dad wouldn't take any rent from us, as he knew we were saving to buy, we paid all bills though. This year I could repay him by buying him a new car, does that mean he's leeching off me now? do you consider him to be a leech?

Being an adult and living at home with no direction and paying no rent I fully agree with you, however in the case where someone moves home to save for a deposit and have discussed rent with their parents and the parents don't want anything, that's not freeloading, that what most loving parents will do for their kids.

In your opinion, not in my dad's nor mine, and I hope that in the future I will be able to help out my kids any way they need so it that means freeloading off me as you describe it so be it, but it won't be considered freeloading by me, do you know what I would call it, loving. I guess we see the world in different ways.

............. but who knows when you have a family and are trying to save for a deposit on a house you too will become a bum.

Bought first property at 24 years old so I'm struggling to think how I'll have to bum off anyone going forward.

Also I was replying to Nox who was alluding to folks staying at home until there late 20s early 30s. Your situation was a year so you seem to be just looking for an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My brother is one of them anyway. Does a long-haul and a bunch of short haul holidays a year. Long haul would be new zealand or similar. 5 star accommodation, flies business class. Instagram full of Michelen starred food and imported new zealnd wines. Doesn't own a house and is constantly moaning that he "can't get on the ladder" because he doesn't have a penny in savings. Constantly asking my parents (and ME!) to give him a deposit.

I actually had someone laugh at me the other day when I said I had never been to Australia. They said, "jesus, you must be the only adult in their 30's in Ireland who hasn't gone there. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Being an adult and living at home with no direction and paying no rent I fully agree with you, however in the case where someone moves home to save for a deposit and have discussed rent with their parents and the parents don't want anything, that's not freeloading, that what most loving parents will do for their kids.

There is a bit more to it than that. It the banks behaviour that is the issue. The banks know that young adults are struggling to get a deposit so they are sneakily normalizing going to your parents to help raise the money

The only other people that do this that I am aware of is drug dealers chasing an individual's debt except they are a little less nice about it

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

What I got from that address was "if you would like to save at a faster rate to accelerate getting a mortgage then you could move home as an option. It works."

I didn't read "you must move home if you want a mortgage with us"

Obviously some did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What I got from that address was "if you would like to save at a faster rate to accelerate getting a mortgage then you could move home as an option. It works."

Surely you're not that gullible to believe they payed to put free advice on Twitter and pretended it was an ad?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Surely you're not that gullible to believe they payed to put free advice on Twitter and pretended it was an ad?

Are they making you move home?
    No.

Would moving home accelerate the rate of saving for some people? Yes.

I don't see the problem.

Jaysus I'd hate to see people bitching about a lynx ad because they weren't overrun by women when they come out the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

I didn't read "you must move home if you want a mortgage with us"

The general environment of rapidly rising house prices and rent is telling them that. An environment created by Gov and banks for the benefit of banks, whatever the cost

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The reaction to this ad is way over the top. They didn't say everyone could/should/need do it, but some people can and it works for them.
    TBH I think living at home to make savings has been common for at least 15 years. As long as I can remember some people have lived with their parents into their twenties, partly to save money. I remember during the Celtic Tiger years people thought I was crazy to be renting rather than living at home, I didn't agree, but could understand that point of view.
    It's common sense really, if you don't pay rent you will be able to afford a deposit more quickly. Of course there is a sacrifice involved, its not desirable for most people and not possible for many, but it will help some.
    Giving a space to voice complete outrage over the most insignificant of matters seems to be the main function of social media nowadays, some of the stuff on Twitter about this yesterday was ridiculous.

Villa05 wrote: »
    The general environment of rapidly rising house prices and rent is telling them that. An environment created by Gov and banks for the benefit of banks, whatever the cost

Still no problem with an advertisement.
    It's an advertisement, not advice.
    Do you really think 9 out of 10 cats prefer whiskers?
    Ads are not advice and only an idiot would think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Still no problem with an advertisement.
    It's an advertisement, not advice.
    Do you really think 9 out of 10 cats prefer whiskers?
    Ads are not advice and only an idiot would think they are.

Ads aren't aimed everyone anyway. Pet food isn't going to be bought by people who don't have pets. Obviously people who don't live anywhere near their parents aren't going to moving back in with them.
    A lot of people just want to be offended. Of course not everyone who is saving for a mortgage is going to be moving into their parents home to save. But if you can't/won't do that so fcking what? Its not offensive to point out that some people do it.

This is nonsense of the absolute highest order. Honestly how does someone end up with opinions like this. The family home is your home, living there is not freeloading, no one with an ounce of cop on would see it that way.

I also don't get this independence people harp on about, living at home and living away made very little difference to me in terms of independence unless you consider spending money on rent as being independent and I certainly wouldn't.

In reality who has more independence the person(a) who lived at home until they are 30 paying no rent but saving a big deposit while still living a nice lifestyle and now owns a big house with a small mortgage and has lots of disposable income or the person (b) who moved out at 18 and scraped by paying rent all along and now at 30 still hasn't even the 10% deposit saved due to paying rent and has little disposable income due to trying to save.

*obviously I'm making the comparison where someone has the choice to live at home or move out rather than someone who has to move out due to a job being too far away etc but the point is valid as some posters are suggesting people move out just for the sake of it. This is not at all aimed at people who have no choice to be person (b)* of which there are many.

This is nonsense of the absolute highest order. Honestly how does someone end up with opinions like this. The family home is your home, living there is not freeloading, no one with an ounce of cop on would see it that way.

I also don't get this independence people harp on about, living at home and living away made very little difference to me in terms of independence unless you consider spending money on rent as being independent and I certainly wouldn't.

In reality who has more independence the person(a) who lived at home until they are 30 paying no rent but saving a big deposit while still living a nice lifestyle and now owns a big house with a small mortgage and has lots of disposable income or the person (b) who moved out at 18 and scraped by paying rent all along and now at 30 still hasn't even the 10% deposit saved due to paying rent and has little disposable income due to trying to save.

*obviously I'm making the comparison where someone has the choice to live at home or move out rather than someone who has to move out due to a job being too far away etc but the point is valid as some posters are suggesting people move out just for the sake of it. This is not at all aimed at people who have no choice to be person (b)* of which there are many.

We can tell.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

TheDoc wrote: »
    I do rail against "snowflakes" and sensitive cases, I was brought up a certain way and I have some old school thinking even for being 29 and I frequently feel totally disconnected and different (and happy to be) then so many of my peers or agegroup who I would agree behave and go on in the way johnny and others have expressed, and then have the audacity the cry about it.

I suppose my point isnt to judge people and how they spend their money so much as to point out that houses have become more expensive as other things have become more affordable. I dont think theres any blame on people if they spend their money on brunches or pints or whatever when the perception if not the reality is that saving 5-10k per year by cutting back on everything is almost meaningless when house prices are going up by 20-30k each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'd say the person that cut the apron strings and went out into the world to become an independent adult with all of the adult responsibilities including paying rent, bills and maintaining a home.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I'd say the person that cut the apron strings and went out into the world to become an independent adult with all of the adult responsibilities including paying rent, bills and maintaining a home.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to be person (b) by choice. Would you really rather spend your 20's scraping by and still be renting in your 30's (person (b)) rather than live a nice lifestyle all through your 20's and be financially comfortable and own your home in your 30's (person (a))? I know which one I would choose every single time.

I know this is quite a specific scenario but its a useful one for this discussion and see the vastly different opinion and outlook some people have.

Just to add I would not fall under (a) or (b).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

awec wrote: »
    I think there are a few different discussions happening here. Firstly, nobody is denying that adults living at home actually happens. Unfortunately for some it is unavoidable.

What people are disputing is that this is a completely normal thing to happen. Firstly, these people are adults, they should be independent people. If someone is still living with mummy and daddy but has the financial means to live elsewhere then it shows a lack of responsibility and a lack of independence, really it's just a bit odd.

If people are forced to go home to mum and dad then something somewhere along the line has gone wrong that may or may not be their fault. It's not a normal thing to happen and it shouldn't happen. It is a fairly sad state of affairs if people are forced to go down this road.

As for adults living at home and not paying their way? Leeches. They are basically children. Personally I would be embarrassed to live like this.

Sorry awec those adults who you are essentially calling bums as they moved home with some money made a responsible decision after some thought here were the options (A) rent a place which yes I can afford but am unable to save anything or much for a deposit or (B) take an offer to move home contribute in some way be it bills or food and save there money that would be rent for a year or so. Get the 20% deposit (I hope you are not advocating getting rid of deposits and going back to the "good old time"🙄) and be able to buy the house.

That to me is a responsible thinking through there options taking a small bit for the long-term gain not a bum

Advertisement