Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anecdotal stories re tenants offering more than requested

Options
  • 24-08-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Stories everywhere in media re potential tenants offering much higher rent than requested in ad .... whart happens re PRTB then - do they not query the 'greater than 4% rise in RPZone ' or do the landlords not register the full rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Landlords shouldn't take under the table payments. Tenant just goes to rtb afterwards and gets it all back plus a nice sum from the landlord. Landlord willose big time if they go along with this.

If a landlord thinks they are getting below market rate then sell up or go Airbnb. Do something that has nothing to do with the rtb.
    But don't take under the counter payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Would a case of a tenant offering to pay more actually cause the landlord to be in breach of those rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Well, if media reports are to be believed, tenants are offering hundreds more than requested to secure accommodation ....

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Would a case of a tenant offering to pay more actually cause the landlord to be in breach of those rules?

Yep. No longer possible for a pair of adults to strike a deal that suits then both.

• Advertisement

Well, if media reports are to be believed, tenants are offering hundreds more than requested to secure accommodation ....

The media is fueled by made up bs from the likes of threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Extra payment is offered entirely in cash. PRTB never see it, no evidence, no paper trail, no trace, never happened.

Landlords who take it are taking a risk of course, like anyone else engaging in black market. Tenant can stop paying it and there's no comeback. But yeah, it is happening.

I've been offered it, wouldn't take it, not the way I do things. I hate tax as much as everyone else, but I will always function above board to protect myself and family. Squeaky clean is the only safe way.

I have friends who pay 200 above rental asking price in cash, and I know some landlords who are taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

This is the sort of nonsense that inevitably happens when government attempts to artificially restrict a "free" market!

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

C3PO wrote: »
    This is the sort of nonsense that inevitably happens when government attempts to artificially restrict a "free" market!

Er, no.

I know it's fashionable to blame all of this on government legislation but tenants offering above the advertised rate is nothing new.

Get rid of the rules and this would still happen.

awec wrote: »
    Er, no.

I know it's fashionable to blame all of this on government legislation but tenants offering above the advertised rate is nothing new.

I'm sure it did but in years of renting I never came across it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Ronaldinho wrote: »

I wondered about this.

if a LL advertises a property at the correct amount in a RPZ he is complying with regulations.

does it say in the RTA that he is prohibited from accepting a higher offer from a tenant who is happy to pay more and sign a lease for the higher amount?

I wondered about this.

if a LL advertises a property at the correct amount in a RPZ he is complying with regulations.

does it say in the RTA that he is prohibited from accepting a higher offer from a tenant who is happy to pay more and sign a lease for the higher amount?

Now that would be interesting. It would mean that advertised rent would mean nothing anymore if it were the case. Basically a landlord would be advertising a price with am implicit invitation to make him a higher offer. Like buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm sure it did but in years of renting I never came across it!

Are you a landlord?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Are you a landlord?

Not at all ... but I was a tenant for years when I was younger!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Er, no.

Get rid of the rules and the offered rate would be the open market rate rather than an illegal rent increase on a rent capped below market rate.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Graham wrote: »
    Get rid of the rules and the offered rate would be the open market rate rather than an illegal rent increase on a rent capped below market rate.

The tenant loses out either way.

The tenant loses out either way.

I don't know how you figure that out! In a properly functioning market, property supply and demand will be in approximate balance and tenants will have a choice of where to live and landlords will have to keep standards up to attract good tenants.
    In the current situation, the only people who really benefit are unscrupulous landlords who flout the law! Landlords who obey the rules find it increasingly difficult to make an honest living and the situation is nigh on impossible for tenants!

Advertisement