Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these Monitors should i go for?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve a nice GTX 1080 on the way and am looking to upgrade my monitor to one of two options.

I currently have an LG IPS234V 60Hz IPS monitor so I’m sure either of the below will seem like a massive step up!
    Both monitors get good reviews generally.

Option 1: Viewsonic XG2703-GS. Currently £639 on Amazon UK but has been as low as £589
    -It’s an IPS panel (well AHVA really), the same panel from AU Optronics that’s used in some of the most popular monitors similar to the Viewsonic. Seems to be prone to Backlight Bleed and dead pixels. From what I’ve read, the VS is not as prone as some of the Asus and Acer but it still suffers from it. (Most likely better due to having a bigger bezel keeping pressure on screen and reducing light leakage).

Option 2: Dell S2716DG. Currently £499 on Amazon UK and seems to stay around that price. It’s TN but true 8-bit TN. Understand the colours will be a bit more washed out but on the flip-side it’s better at fast motion than the VS.

I’ll be using it mostly for gaming (PUBG, BF1, XCom, GTA etc.) and web browsing, would rarely watch TV/Movies on it other than Youtube videos.

Learning towards the Dell, especially given it’s about €150 cheaper than the Viewsonic and the possibility of having to returning 1 or more VS until getting one with acceptable BLB and no dead pixels. Also because of what I’m using it for. At the same time, there's lots of comments talking about washed out TN colours vs the depth of an IPS.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I have the S2716DG and I think its a fantastic monitor and can not fault it. There are zero dead pixels on it and no black light bleed.

I use it next to an Asus 1440p IPS as well and while the colour difference is there its not a deal breaker.
    If anything its the kinda thing you only really notice when they are next to each other.

Another thing is the support from Dell is very good and its very easy to get it replaced. Mine had no dead pixels and apparently they are very good for not having any. Same can't be said for a lot of other manufacturers and when you consider the cost of these things is a bit of a joke.

So if it comes down to €150 less and zero dead pixels, I know which one I would pick :)
    If you don't already have one, use the money saved to buy a nice monitor arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dell seems like a steal at that price.

TN is generally recommended for FPS gaming over IPS (motion clarity > image quality).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

IPS screen here and i'd never go back to a TN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

There is a lot who think like this and not trying to disagree with you.
    I have both, a TN and a IPS panel and there is definitely 100% a difference and that difference definitely favours the IPS.

But I don't think its enough to completely disregard all TNs as a result. That Dell in particular is a very good TN and when you weight up the other differences; cheaper, no dead pixels and black light bleed. It can be the better choice. Obviously not all IPS have dead pixels as well and its probably more down to the QC of the manufacturers but it does seem like they are more likely to have them and its a pain having to deal with it.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    There is a lot who think like this and not trying to disagree with you.
    I have both, a TN and a IPS panel and there is definitely 100% a difference and that difference definitely favours the IPS.

But I don't think its enough to completely disregard all TNs as a result. That Dell in particular is a very good TN and when you weight up the other differences; cheaper, no dead pixels and black light bleed. It can be the better choice. Obviously not all IPS have dead pixels as well and its probably more down to the QC of the manufacturers but it does seem like they are more likely to have them and its a pain having to deal with it.

They are definitely more prone to BLB but the colour reproduction is worth the risk i think. You can always RMA if you want even though it's a pain and you shouldn't have to. I got lucky with my newest monitor. No dead pixels and only a small bit of BLB that you can't notice in general use. Expensive though which is a downside i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have both side by side and there is no more than 5-10 % better colours on the IPS at best, its very very minor and barely noticeable.
    Id go with the higher hz screen every time, no comparison between 60hz and 144hz.

OP go with the Dell, amazing monitor.

I had a Benq TN panel before and now have an AGON IPS panel. Nowhere near a very very minor difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a ASUS IPS and a Samsung TN side by side and yes the IPS is more saturated but there is not a lot in it. You would never tell the difference if one is turned off and looking at it. You only notice the difference if the same image is on both monitors at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bought two of the Dell monitors and the latest revs are excellent. Colour profile is definitely a bit more tweaked. Its a fantastic monitor and gsync is really awesome.
    I'm running BF1 at 1440p on a 1080gtx and getting 100fps or so. PUBG runs like a dream on it.
    You won't regret buying it.

below is a battegrounds video I took ..its 1080p vs 1440p on my monitor but you can see how the 1080gtx and the dell pair very well together. Super smooth.
    Battlefield looks amazing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the viewsonic is a 165Hz IPS? I did not know that existed... that's higher refresh rate than my CRT :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

the viewsonic is a 165Hz IPS? I did not know that existed... that's higher refresh rate than my CRT :O

You can find native 240Hz monitors now.

*edit*
    Test Results: 4K 120 Hz Display with bonus 1080p 240 Hz & 540p 480 Hz Modes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

and only $646! amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Thanks everyone for the comments...pulled the trigger on the Dell...due to arrive on Monday :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had a Benq TN panel before and now have an AGON IPS panel. Nowhere near a very very minor difference between them.

Old TN panels were not great, newer ones are very close to IPS in terms of colour and ofcourse a lot faster unless you buy the uber expensive IPS ones.

Advertisement