Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats in your lunchbox?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 12:44pm
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Inspired by Pwurple's Quest for the Perfect lunchbox (which I'm avidly following for inspiration) I'd like to gather ideas for what to put in it. As he's been in a creche, I've not needed to worry about feeding him Monday -Friday as they had an onsite chef.

Hes in Junior Infants. He's as fussy as fcuk, but I do want him to have a healthy lunch so a lot of variety of lunch ideas that I can try and he can reject are most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My son is starting pre-school next week and I've to provide his lunch (an unknown for me because up until now all my kids have had lunch provided for them in pre-school and school!) so I was thinking of a sandwich or wrap (cheese, ham, pepperoni, turkey he's not fussy about that thankfully!), a piece of fruit or handful of grapes etc, cheese cubes or sticks, and maybe hummus and dippers like pitta/carrot sticks/cucumber. He'll only have one lunch thankfully though not small break and big break!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My son has a sandwich (ham, every single day, I don't know how he sustains it, but he refuses point blank to want anything else between his two slices of bread), a piece of fruit (grapes, berries, banana usually) and an actively. Maybe raisins sometimes.
    They did food dudes in junior infants, and he actually agreed to eat carrot sticks too, so sometimes he will take these as well as the fruit.

Food Dudes is great, mine all did it at Early Start. One has SPD and DCD and just wouldn't try the stuff though. She's verrrryyy particular about what she eats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

jlm29 wrote: »
    My son has a sandwich (ham, every single day, I don't know how he sustains it, but he refuses point blank to want anything else between his two slices of bread), a piece of fruit (grapes, berries, banana usually) and an actively. Maybe raisins sometimes.
    They did food dudes in junior infants, and he actually agreed to eat carrot sticks too, so sometimes he will take these as well as the fruit.

Yes mine like the same all the time too. I always give;
    1 fruit ( orange banana, grapes or pear) 1 veg ( carrots, olives or cucumber )
    1 protein- ( slice of cheese or ham)
    1 Carb ( 2 to 4 cream crackers, and or plain rice cake / bread stick or half a kids wrap)
    1 treat ( always a frube)

Would love if they ate sandwiches but they don't .
    Nuts would be handy but banned in school due to allergies.

When they started school we made a little chart and drew the fruits and veg etc... In the categories and explained that they had to have one thing from each every day, so if they go off carrots for example they can't switch to having a fruit instead it has to be another veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

When they started school we made a little chart and drew the fruits and veg etc... In the categories and explained that they had to have one thing from each every day, so if they go off carrots for example they can't switch to having a fruit instead it has to be another veg.

Stealing this! Fab idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Stealing this! Fab idea :)

Me too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Love this thread!Mine is starting preschool next week, and she dismantles sandwiches rather than eating them.So glad somebody else's kids don't eat sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The hunt continues Neyite... ;)

Lunchbox contents here Keep me on my toes. My girls want very specific things (to trade I found out later!) and the school has a No Packaging rule.

The tradeable items are crackers. Cream crackers buttered, or the rosemary ones from aldi, or cheesy ones like ritz.

Wrap or sandwich, always cheese or chicken here. Sometimes I put a ricecake in here too.

Fruit, i used to give something like apples and pears but the loose teeth at the moment don't like that. So it is now banana, satsuma or soft fruit like blueberries/strawberries.

Dried fruit is the treat, because no packaging. Raisins, dried apricots, dried banana.

Veg. Carrot sticks. Cucumber slices. Cherry tomatoes. My eldest bizarrely loves rocket and grows it herself, so sometimes a bunch of that. (I know, not all are veg there)

Bottle of water... and reusable water bottles wreck my head as well by the way.

I'll just leave this here:

When-is-it-hometime-3-704.jpg

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

He wont eat cheese any more and doesn't drink milk unless the moon is aligned with Saturn either. So I'm stuck with yoghurt. I've managed to wean him off the sugary frubes /petis filous stuff onto proper yoghurt finally but I've to blitz the fruit bits in it first with my hand blender. That's where the big Lidl tubs of yoghurt come in handy. wink.png

I've already got some stackable jars from Homestore at home with the screw lid that I can put a yoghurt into.

My pro-tip for actually remembering to bring the lunch you lovingly assembled the night before is to put it into the car the night before.

Usually night time temperatures are not far off your fridge and a couple of ice packs help on a warmer night but during winter it's fine. I learned this the hard way when I'd usually remember to bring it when I was halfway to work and would have to make do with a soggy sambo from maxol, while my gorgeous homemade Greek salad languished in the fridge.

• Advertisement

Smoothies! - Little fella does love these, how could I forget? He thinks they are a treat and begs me for them.

Hulk Smoothie: Fresh Spinach, Avocado, OJ and Greek yoghurt.
    Ironman Smoothie: Fruits of the forest berries, OJ and Greek yoghurt.
    Minion Smoothie: Banana & Mango OJ and Greek yoghurt.
    Flash Smoothie: Strawberry, Carrot, OJ and Greek yoghurt.

I'd imagine you could change the names to make them more appealing to girls though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was buying lunch boxes and contemplating lunches and mentally hearing the voice of several family members (who are teachers) on things to not give your child......ie:
    Anything they can't open themselves.

Which when you think of a junior infant (never mind a preschooler!!) Means frubes, fruits with skin on (like small oranges, maybe not bananas though), packets of raisins etc., complicated lunch boxes, some yoghurts (and you want to be fairly sure they can feed themselves the yoghurt too...), and possibly some cheese stick type snacks.

In other words all the stuff that's handy and that they love the packaging on 🙄

If I was a teacher, I'd do my head in at having to open 20-something frubes and small oranges every day.I have a lot of work around 'independence' to do with my child!!!

My little guy loves those yoghurt lollies, (yollies, I think they're called). He can open them by himself, so sometimes I give him those. Actimel are high risk for mess. I'd say there's as much sugar in a packet of skittles though. It's hard to find a balance with yoghurts!

Actimel was opened once in my car.

Once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You'd think after 8 years of lunch making I'd have it sorted. But making lunch for his first day of secondary school last night and I just drew a blank! Secondary school days will be longer and busier plus he's a growing boy, he'll need something substantial. Before was just a sandwich/bagel and a cereal bar. He won't eat fruit, salad or yoghurt. Loves meats, cheeses and breads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Oh man. My lad's starting preschool on Monday, I went into supervalu yesterday and spent 45mins wandering around realising I have no idea how to lunch. I'm thinking rice cakes or crackers and hummus/nut butter (if there's no nut restrictions) fruit (berries, satsuma segments, banana, apple) cheese & ham tortilla pinwheels, cheese cubes etc. I'll throw in some veggies but I know they'll be laughed at. Might as well go along with the pretence. There's a fridge so he can have a yogurt or milk as well.

Does anyone know where you can get mini rice cakes that aren't coated in chocolate or yogurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Oh man. My lad's starting preschool on Monday, I went into supervalu yesterday and spent 45mins wandering around realising I have no idea how to lunch. I'm thinking rice cakes or crackers and hummus/nut butter (if there's no nut restrictions) fruit (berries, satsuma segments, banana, apple) cheese & ham tortilla pinwheels, cheese cubes etc. I'll throw in some veggies but I know they'll be laughed at. Might as well go along with the pretence. There's a fridge so he can have a yogurt or milk as well.

Does anyone know where you can get mini rice cakes that aren't coated in chocolate or yogurt?

Boots have the plain mini rice cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

pwurple wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:

When-is-it-hometime-3-704.jpg

I can confirm that opening many, many frubes is not my favourite part of my working day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

nikpmup wrote: »

I'd imagine the majority of schools and preschools restrict nuts.

You can get mini rice cakes in the baby section - either 'proper' brands or ALDI etc sell their own brands. They might be apple or a slight flavour but no actual coating on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mine is very fussy but we tend to go with smoothie, hummus with breadsticks, fruit that has be cut up, sausage roll, homemade tortilla chips, popcorn, homemade pizza slice and a sandwich. The school doesn't allow nuts, yogurts that can spill or sweets.

Notice up in child's pre-school today that they've banned grapes from lunchboxes. It's about the only fruit (that and banana) my little guy likes. I always, always quarter his grapes before giving them to him... has anyone else come across this?

January wrote: »
    Notice up in child's pre-school today that they've banned grapes from lunchboxes. It's about the only fruit (that and banana) my little guy likes. I always, always quarter his grapes before giving them to him... has anyone else come across this?

No! That's a bit crazy. It'll be orange segments next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

January wrote: »

Yes my daughters preschool last year banned them in any shape or form. I suppose I can understand a blanket ban as some parents might be lax about cutting them. The wording in the letter was pretty gutsy, along the lines of we can't save them if they choke on a grape!!

She started primary school this year and no ban.

I did give grapes today actually, cut in half longways but it did cross my mind that they mightn't be mad about it....
    I think crisps and sweets and fizzy drinks are banned in our place (and possibly juices).I'm surprised that popcorn was mentioned previously, I'd have thought that would be on the choking list too (altho my little one loves it.).
    So far this week we've done ham and cheese/ham and ballymaloe relish sandwiches (she rejected them, despite liking the relish), a cheese 'stick'(tesco do mini cheddar sticks which are great), carrot sticks, chopped grapes and a peeled orange which i broke in half and left for her to peel the segments off.So far, so good, it was all devoured apart from the sandwiches with relish.

I've been giving grapes whole. No danger of him choking though - he'd have to actually put one in his mouth first.

I chop grapes up to age 5 or so.

Letter is daft. Reply with, "I chop them."

I got a bollocking there yesterday for putting a handful of almonds in. She loves those. There is a boy with a mild peanut allergy in her class, this was given as the reason by this years teacher. His mum (who i know well!) isn't bothered by almonds at all.

pwurple wrote: »
    I chop grapes up to age 5 or so.

Letter is daft. Reply with, "I chop them."

I got a bollocking there yesterday for putting a handful of almonds in. She loves those. There is a boy with a mild peanut allergy in her class, this was given as the reason by this years teacher. His mum (who i know well!) isn't bothered by almonds at all.

How do they even realise. Like do they actually have time to examine the contents of thirty lunchboxes. My 5 year old came home one day last year and said "Mam, don't ever give me chocolate cake going to school. It's not allowed". I said "I never would, I know it's against the rules". I realised afterwards that I'd given him a slice of fruit cake (which is allowed), but it was Christmas cake, so quite dark in colour, and he'd obviously been pulled up on it, by someone who didn't look hard enough and thought he was scoffing chocolate cake

I'm all for healthy eating and I understand the rules are in place to prevent some kids from getting boxes full of rubbish (among other reasons) but I found myself wondering last night were crackers allowed, to go with her cheese.It can be a bit annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My mam is a primary teacher and some of the stories she has of parents trying to justify food items are mind boggling. Fig rolls as one of a five a day even though biscuits are banned :O no joke.

As a result the bans don't bother me a bit and I can see the need for blanket bans. For every 9 parents who follow the rules or use common sense there'll be 1 that won't and needs it spelled out in plain English. They're the ones that will consistently send the grapes whole or cut them width ways instead of length. I can see why places need to cover themselves. I don't lose sleep over the few food items she can't have for those few hours a day.

Advertisement