Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats in your lunchbox?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Digs wrote: »
    My mam is a primary teacher and some of the stories she has of parents trying to justify food items are mind boggling. Fig rolls as one of a five a day even though biscuits are banned :O no joke.

As a result the bans don't bother me a bit and I can see the need for blanket bans. For every 9 parents who follow the rules or use common sense there'll be 1 that won't and needs it spelled out in plain English. They're the ones that will consistently send the grapes whole or cut them width ways instead of length. I can see why places need to cover themselves. I don't lose sleep over the few food items she can't have for those few hours a day.

My sister is a teacher in a school in Dublin who initially had a one treat per week rule on a Friday. What did some parents go and do...Send whole packets of biscuits as the treat. A whole packet of biscuits for an 8 year old! You wonder why you see children waddling around. The school had to stop the treats completely then.

Some of the lunches I see would actually make you vomit. Like zero nutrition. Beige beige beige. Some schools monitor them, some schools don't. I wish every school would. A spot check here and there.

Homemade bread is easy to make and will last a good few days. Stuff like blueberry and banana bread is great. I love the Green Spoon recipe.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    Notice up in child's pre-school today that they've banned grapes from lunchboxes. It's about the only fruit (that and banana) my little guy likes. I always, always quarter his grapes before giving them to him... has anyone else come across this?

I'll be fecked altogether if they introduce that in my school! In pre-school I can kinda see it, cos apparently grapes are a big choking hazard, and I suppose there might be some parents who wouldn't be conscientious enough to cut them before packing them in the lunchbox, cos their kid can eat them without problems, but if others try one, they might not be able.

Peanut products are a no-no in my son's primary, which he wasn't a bit pleased about. He always had a peanut butter sambo for playschool lunch, but there were only 10 in his class, and no allergies so it was all grand for them to have it there.

For school now he has a sandwich which has to have a protein and a veg in it - last few days it's been cheese and lettuce. Then I give him a little tub with either grapes or cherry tomatoes or orange segments in it. Today he came home and announced that one of his classmates had pasta for lunch, and he wants that tomorrow, so I told him to pick what he wanted in the pasta - sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes cut up, and avocado cut up. Going to also stick in some leftover chicken to give a bit of protein too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

My guy loves pasta, with pesto and chicken. The basic Lidl pesto had no nuts in it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mine loves pasta, but baulked at it last week because it had a tiny fleck of herb on one bit. I suspect pesto would tip him over the edge :D Plain with some ham or chicken might work though.

I wonder was he a food taster for a king or something in a previous existence...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Neyite wrote: »
    Mine loves pasta, but baulked at it last week because it had a tiny fleck of herb on one bit. I suspect pesto would tip him over the edge :D Plain with some ham or chicken might work though.

I wonder was he a food taster for a king or something in a previous existence...

Do we have the same child :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Do we have the same child :pac:

We must do. I keep telling myself it's a phase!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

Mine is now in 5th year in secondary school she has DCD which is a royal pain when it comes to food, and has now become a vegetarian. Texture is a huge issue so most things are homemade. My freezer is packed with homemade sauces and soups that the texture is just right.

This has been typical for Lunch since 4th class in primary school.

Lunch box has a few varieties
    Rice-cakes / Popcorn
    Apple Slices and Melon Slices / homemade smoothie
    Cubes of cheese / yogurt
    Wholegrain Pasta with either homemade pesto or tomato sauce / Avocado sandwich.

Hot Lunches in a thermal container

Soup with side of bread
    Hot pasta with homemade sauce
    Spuds gravy and veggies (corn, carrots, peas)
    (Once in a while I cave and allow noodles)

Almonds and walnuts used to be in there but there's a child with serious nut allergy, she was hospitalized after lunch one day from crumb's on the desk from another child in a different years lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

My youngest is in 6th class and is a nightmare to prepare lunches for in that he will not eat a sandwich and fruit/raw veg like any "normal" child :D:D:D

So, found out during the Summer that he loves pannini's so he has them twice a week at the moment (his preference is chorizo and cheese) and the other two days he has those Chicago Town toasties (little pizza's really). Not the healthiest I'll admit but at least he's eating his lunch now. I'm sure he'll get fed up of this within the coming weeks or months but for now it's working. He loves those Jacob's Tapas roasted tomato and basil crackers with the Mediterranean tuna spread on top as a snack.

Advertisement