Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling start up programs.

Options
  • 24-08-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I have attached a picture of what is enabled and disabled on my start up menu, can I disable more to speed up my start up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Adobe Updater can be disabled, but you'll notice no difference as its a low priority.

ace_web_extension:

[HTML]http://www.file.net/process/ace_web_extension.exe.html[/HTML]

Have you done a malware / antivirus scan?

You may need additional RAM, hard to tell much more as you have not given the specs of your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

These specs help any bit.

very nice specs, i'm jealous.

do you have Fast startup on or off, on has been known to cause problems, try alternating between both. I have it off on mine.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    very nice specs, i'm jealous.

do you have Fast startup on or off, on has been known to cause problems, try alternating between both. I have it off on mine.

I m a mature student and a lecture said to me earlier this year that my laptop was very slow for the specs it had, It about 3 years old.

In the last few days I have uninstalled 29 programs, the likes of solidworks and inventor (used for design engineering) and lots of other stuff iv not used in ages.

Things have improved, but start up was still slow. I'm updating drivers at the moment. following a check list taken form online site.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Hard drive on the blink maybe?

I'd do a backup now just to be sure.

• Advertisement

congrats on going back to college, was a mature student myself about a decade ago.

if you have uninstalled that many programs, you probably have a lot of orphan files and bloated programs. Run DiskCleanup.

Myself, if i had a PC that has had that many programs installed over 3 years and was gone slow. I would do a Format and Fresh Install. Several videos on youtube and webpages online you should view first if you consider to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I m a mature student and a lecture said to me earlier this year that my laptop was very slow for the specs it had, It about 3 years old.

In the last few days I have uninstalled 29 programs, the likes of solidworks and inventor (used for design engineering) and lots of other stuff iv not used in ages.

Things have improved, but start up was still slow. I'm updating drivers at the moment. following a check list taken form online site.

In my experience an operating system reinstall will benefit you more than anything else. You should do it once a year. Once you have it set up you can clone it to speed up future rebuilds.
    You will need to move your own files off the partition that contains the OS so you don't lose anything. Make a list of your programs and keys so you can reinstall them.

It is worth the time and effort for the benefit of speed you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If you haven't already and can afford it throw an ssd in it. Fresh install your OS onto the new drive and transfer your files over from the old drive.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll going to try a fresh install.

Looking on YouTube There Is lots of videos on windows 10 reinstall, is that what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks guys for the help. I'll going to try a fresh install.

Looking on YouTube There Is lots of videos on windows 10 reinstall, is that what I'm looking for.

Windows 10 now has a nuclear delete everything and fresh install option, it's very handy...

Should be under Windows updates if memory serves, if it's not, Google it... :)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403794/how-to-reset-windows-10-to-factory-settings

Just go to remove my files for fresh install...

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Windows 10 now has a nuclear delete everything and fresh install option, it's very handy...

Should be under Windows updates if memory serves, if it's not, Google it... :)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403794/how-to-reset-windows-10-to-factory-settings

Just go to remove my files for fresh install...

What will happen to word and one note and stuff like that?

What will happen to word and one note and stuff like that?

Depends on whether you added them after installing 10 or were they already included when you bought the machine?

Or did this machine go from Windows 8 up to 10?

If they were already included they should come back but just back up anything that you are unsure of to USB

When you sign in again and if they were purchased under your Microsoft account they should pop up when you sign in...

Depends on whether you added them after installing 10 or were they already included when you bought the machine?

Or did this machine go from Windows 8 up to 10?

If they were already included they should come back but just back up anything that you are unsure of to USB

When you sign in again and if they were purchased under your Microsoft account they should pop up when you sign in...

If I remember correctly when I bought the machine it was windows 8, I added office from a disk and then up graded to windows 10 a while later.
    Not sure if I still have the disk. If I have I can just reinstall

If I remember correctly when I bought the machine it was windows 8, I added office from a disk and then up graded to windows 10 a while later.
    Not sure if I still have the disk. If I have I can just reinstall

See is it tied to your Microsoft account...

Do you sign in via MS account on the Windows store and use the Office Cloud thingy?

Do you sign in via MS account on the Windows store and use the Office Cloud thingy?

No. On desktop and open old school. I had that account though the collage account and removed it seemed. Might be worth reinstalling it

to use word i just open from desk top. Backing up the stuff at the moment.

to use word i just open from desk top. Backing up the stuff at the moment.

I can install office 2016 from my student office 365 account, would I be better of doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

getting an SSD, cloning existing drive and installing would make a huge difference if you haven't already got one

getting an SSD, cloning existing drive and installing would make a huge difference if you haven't already got one

I have a 1 tb external hard drive, i been copying my files and pictures on to it today. can i use that.

Which option is better a refresh of windows 10 or a full reinstall?

• Advertisement
Advertisement