Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy affordable lunches

• 24-08-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi this question was probably asked before sorry if it has , any ideas on affordable lunch ideas two teens going back to school next week and money is tight at the moment, if anyone has any healthy ideas that won't cost the earth . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You could check out Pinterest, there are often packed lunch ideas on there.

When I was in school lunch was generally a sandwich*, yogurt, and fruit. You could get some wide-necked thermos flasks and put heated up leftovers or soup in there.

* ham and cheese, chicken and cheese, corned beef and.... you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If they'll eat salads the Aldi 'bag that's a bowl' ones are great - a one portion bag of salad leaves, a little pot of dressing and a portion of meat or falafel etc. Works out at a couple of euro, add some bread or other starch and you've a good healthy balanced meal.
    Batch cook soup using the super 6 veg and bring it in a thermos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Bag of lettuce €1.50
    Vine tomatoes €1.99 or €2.49 depending on size
    Cucumber/Onions/mushrooms €1.00 a punnet
    Kippers/Sardines €1.75/€2.00 a tin
    Fruit 3 for 2 normally €1.50 to €2.00 depending ie kiwis/bananas/blueberries/pears

I make my own spelt bread or brown bread normally €2.00 approx Odlums flour.

Just an example. I find it cheaper to eat healthy rather than go for the fast food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi thanks for the reply I'm going to make soup and try out the homemade bread , that should fill them up until they get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

As a snack mine like rice cakes. Best value is in Aldi. A food flask is a good idea too for the winter , you can put a bit of leftover stew/ curry etc in it. A tub of pasta and tuna is nice but a bit stinky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply I'm going to make soup and try out the homemade bread , that should fill them up until they get home

Sound. No need for breadmakers or yeast. Just buy the odlums pack with the recipe on the back and fire it into the oven. Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pasta cooked up with veg and chicken (i.e dinner leftovers). Still delicious when cold. And a banana.

Lots of energy for the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can make your own Pot Noodles too. I find Rice noodles work best, but ramen would probably be good too: noodles, finely chopped veg, half a stock cube, chopped cooked sausages. Add hot water, wait 5 minutes and eat. I think Hugh Fernly Wossisname has a proper recipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are some great soup recipes in the Souper Soup thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791687

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

For making soup, keep an eye on the various veg offers in each of the big supermarkets - really cuts the price of a pot of soup when you can get the main ingredient for 49c :)

For example I made a great big pot of broccoli soup this week out of 1 1/2 big heads of broccoli (49c each in Dunnes), 5 fairly small potatoes, 2 veg stock pots and 1 onion - whole thing can't have cost more than 2 quid and there was at least 6 big bowls of really nice, thick soup in the batch. N.B. - Don't forget to peel/trim the broccoli stalks and use them in the soup, they have great flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

B0jangles wrote: »
    - Don't forget to peel/trim the broccoli stalks and use them in the soup, they have great flavour.

Or chop into matchsticks and add to a stir fry. Or grill whole on a bbq. Or use for stock etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

These are great ideas thanks everyone

Advertisement