Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    To be honest buck after the first line I had to push myself to finish your post. Nothing I said was a lie.

Its a very famous phrase regarding the nature of facts, in fairness, even if I paraphrased a little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo best in the world again. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Viva Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a week it was, we showed a ridiculous amount of respect towards Liverpool and got a draw. Had the win against Benfica where we never hit the higher gears and then the disaster against Huddersfield. And that Lindelof mistake was one of the stupidest things I've seen a defender do on a football pitch. A guy is given time to adapt and then pulls that one out of the bag :eek:. I'm not sure if you can coach 'stupid' but it's something he better leave behind him and leave behind quickly. After the recent results & form, nothing short of a win against Spurs will satisfy me now.

Rumour going around that Carrick and Rojo will be back sooner than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't think Carrick is going to solve many of our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Considering one of them is we can't seem to make a simple pass.

He just might.

Was just providing an injury update.
    But an argument to be made he would provide more to the team than Herrera is at current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

What a week it was, we showed a ridiculous amount of respect towards Liverpool and got a draw. Had the win against Benfica where we never hit the higher gears and then the disaster against Huddersfield. And that Lindelof mistake was one of the stupidest things I've seen a defender do on a football pitch. A guy is given time to adapt and then pulls that one out of the bag :eek:. I'm not sure if you can coach 'stupid' but it's something he better leave behind him and leave behind quickly. After the recent results & form, nothing short of a win against Spurs will satisfy me now.

Given time to adapt? It's his second game in the league, first if you discount thew Liverpool game where he came on in injury time. He was very poor against Huddersfield but please don't say he's has had time to adapt to the English game.

Remember your dad when he arrived?
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-dressing-room-concerned-8410227

Bit of control in midfield is what is needed. Carrick back from injury would be excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And before anyone says anything no one said Carrick will solve all our problems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    And before anyone says anything no one said Carrick will solve all our problems....

He won't solve any of them.

He won't solve any of them.

I actually agree with you I don't think he would bring anything to the table that magic don't and putting him in team instead of ander is going back to LVG days.

Well let's just keep playing an out of form player then....feeling confident about Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I know that, I was just giving my opinion. Is that ok with you?

It would be great to play Carrick in the cup game tonight if he was avaiable. Rest as many players as feasible tonight.
    Carrick in for Matic would be ideal.
    And have Matic ready for Saturday.

I know that, I was just giving my opinion. Is that ok with you?

Do you need a hug? I actually wasn't even referring to you ya mad head or anyone in specific for that matter but usually someone will come along and say "so now Carrick is the saviour".

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well let's just keep playing an out of form player then....feeling confident about Saturday?

I actually don't think we should keep playing ander either I really don't know what the solution is but I agree if Carrick was fit he should play tonight instead of matic.

Maybe mctominy should get a good run tonight and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It would be great to play Carrick in the cup game tonight if he was avaiable. Rest as many players as feasible tonight.
    Carrick in for Matic would be ideal.
    And have Matic ready for Saturday.

Yeah, ideally none of the first team players should play. We might lack numbers to field proper 11 today though. If Carrick is fit then him and McTominay should play.

Or wouldn't mind Blind as CM but that will never happen for some reason.

Also in defense Bailly might be back today as he lacks match fitness.

Whatever it is, hopefully Shaw and Tuanzebe plays full games.

• Advertisement

I actually don't think we should keep playing ander either I really don't know what the solution is but I agree if Carrick was fit he should play tonight instead of matic.

Maybe mctominy should get a good run tonight and see how he gets on.

Again, I'm not advocating for Carrick, just lads tend to jump the gun. He's solely backup.
    Herrera is the major concern given how many players we already have injured. And there is an argument to be made that Carrick playing well would provide more to us than Herrera playing ****.

If carrick plays better than herrera then yes he does offer us something. Crazy to think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Be interesting to see the squad today.

With Jose complaining about injuries surely expect a few regulars to be rested as a precaution.
    Good chance for Lindelof to try make up from last weeks performance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Just so ye know, we are the televised match tonight, we are on Sky Sports football and sky sports Main event. Or if you are visiting S.Arabia for the evening, Bein Sports 11 are showing it

astradave wrote: »
    Just so ye know, we are the televised match tonight, we are on Sky Sports football and sky sports Main event. Or if you are visiting S.Arabia for the evening, Bein Sports 11 are showing it

It's also on Bein Sports 4 for anyone in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thought it was funny reading this morning that Mhiki didn't vote Mourinho in his top three managers for the FIFA awards : D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thought it was funny reading this morning that Mhiki didn't vote Mourinho in his top three managers for the FIFA awards : D

Was he able to Vote for Jose?

Or can they vote for whoever they like

Thought it was even funnier, Castles voting Mourinho as manager of the year

Was he able to Vote for Jose?

Or can they vote for whoever they like

Vote for whoever they like, they are representing their countries. Hazard gave conte number 1 and Mourinho no 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Jones and shaw in the squad tonight!

Pathetic

• Advertisement

Yeah that was pretty gas too

@Kew they can vote whoever they like. Typically the running "ugh" is managers or captains voting for their teams best player. Martinez for example giving his first pref to Hazard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah that was pretty gas too

@Kew they can vote whoever they like. Typically the running "ugh" is managers or captains voting for their teams best player. Martinez for example giving his first pref to Hazard...

I always find it funny reading them.

Like Neuer just voting for managers he has had in the last couple of years.

Ancellotti, Pep and Low - none bad managers, but the best manager in the last year?

One finished 4th in the league, just about - no trophies. One has just been sacked. What did Germany do so brilliantly in the last year?

Can they vote for who they want? I read this morning that Kane finished 24th out of 24 nominated players and Poch 12th out of 12 managers. Was that tweet wrong (didn't look into it) and they finished bottom of the top 24/12 lists?

markc91 wrote: »
    Jones and shaw in the squad tonight!

Rather we rest Jones for the big games coming up in the league.

But a good sign that he's not done a serious injury. Maybe he's shown some maturity going down when he felt something rather than playing on and doing more damage to himself, something he has been guilty of in the past.

Either way good to have him available and let's hope Shaw gets some game time and can show us something good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    If carrick plays better than herrera then yes he does offer us something. Crazy to think otherwise

He is a lesser version of Matic, and cannot cover enough ground to get in ahead of herrera . Herrera is a box to box, and playing badly at the moment. We dont solve that problem by putting in a DM. The only way id play him is as a direct replacement for matic when he is injured/ rested.

akelly02 wrote: »
    He is a lesser version of Matic, and cannot cover enough ground to get in ahead of herrera . Herrera is a box to box, and playing badly at the moment. We dont solve that problem by putting in a DM. The only way id play him is as a direct replacement for matic when he is injured/ rested.

You could play Carrick beside Matic and let Matic roam a bit more.

The important part is to have other options. Having Carrick available for selection is better than not having him available for selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I read this morning that Kane finished 24th out of 24 nominated players and Poch 12th out of 12 managers. Was that tweet wrong (didn't look into it) and they finished bottom of the top 24/12 lists?

Here ya go :

The awards for the mens best player went as is :
    1 Cristiano Ronaldo 43.16%
    2 Lionel Messi 19.25%
    3 Neymar 6.97%
    4 Gianluigi Buffon 6.82%
    5 Sergio Ramos 3.34%
    6 Luka Modrić 3.33%
    7 Toni Kroos 2.70%
    8 Marcelo 2.09%
    9 N'Golo Kanté 1.35%
    10 Luis Suárez 1.19%
    11 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 1.10%
    12 Paulo Dybala 1.07%
    13 Eden Hazard 1.03%
    14 Zlatan Ibrahimović 0.82%
    15 Andrés Iniesta 0.82%
    16 Robert Lewandowski 0.77%
    17 Antoine Griezmann 0.67%
    18 Dani Carvajal 0.62%
    19 Manuel Neuer 0.58%
    20 Keylor Navas 0.56%
    21 Arturo Vidal 0.51%
    22 Leonardo Bonucci 0.47%
    23 Alexis Sánchez 0.45%
    24 Harry Kane 0.33%
    The coach award went as is :
    1 Zinedine Zidane 46.22%
    2 Antonio Conte 11.62%
    3 Massimiliano Allegri 8.78%
    4 Joachim Löw 7.40%
    5 José Mourinho 5.28%
    6 Leonardo Jardim 4.84%
    7 Carlo Ancelotti 3.62%
    8 Pep Guardiola 2.88%
    9 Tite 2.87%
    10 Diego Simeone 2.77%
    11 Luis Enrique 2.00%
    12 Mauricio Pochettino 1.72%

I always find it funny reading them.

Like Neuer just voting for managers he has had in the last couple of years.

Ancellotti, Pep and Low - none bad managers, but the best manager in the last year?

One finished 4th in the league, just about - no trophies. One has just been sacked. What did Germany do so brilliantly in the last year?

Can they vote for who they want? I read this morning that Kane finished 24th out of 24 nominated players and Poch 12th out of 12 managers. Was that tweet wrong (didn't look into it) and they finished bottom of the top 24/12 lists?

Yeah players, managers and appointed media can vote for who they like, no restrictions. Kane finished bottom, receiving one nominee and Poch was pretty low too. I believe how it works, is everyone gives a top 3, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and it ranks on first preference, then using 2nd and 3rd when required like an election with transfers.

A list typically comes out a few days later by FIFA, where it shows who each player(it's national captains), manager and media elect voted for.

It's all international btw, so int captains, int managers and appointed int media elect.

There is clearly a lot of preference voting like I said for team mates, managers and the likes. Thats why I said its funny to see Mhiki didn't have Mourinho there, as that is unusual.

Actually the big influence is countries you have literally never heard of, whose captains and managers and media have a vote. And there is a lot of regional preference that takes place. So for example a lot of countries have serious resentment against England, while thats known among the main European countries it spreads wider too, and there will be biased voting. That normally reflects in results. Kane obviously was a better player then about 14-16 people in that list in the last year, but it's all so biased and ridiculous. It normally hasn't been a big deal because you can't argue between Messi and Ronaldo, but when they retire it will go back to being likely causing moral outcry year to year.

Would play him in the dm role if fit and let matic push on forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

That's crazy Jones is in the squad, his reaction Saturday made it seem like he was done for a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hococop wrote: »
    That's crazy Jones is in the squad, his reaction Saturday made it seem like he was done for a few weeks

Jones Version 2.0, Jose has fixed him.

• Advertisement

I said on Saturday that it just seemed like a dead leg the way he and the physio were holding it. Jose probably didn’t want to risk it and thought Lindelof would be grand in the game.

Apologies if posted already but below is the squad to face Swansea today. According to MEN.
    Sergio Romero, Joel Pereira, Kieran O'Hara, Daley Blind, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Axel Tuanzebe, Phil Jones, Matteo Darmian, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, Nemanja Matic, Jesse Lingard, Scott McTominay, Ander Herrera, Juan Mata, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Marcus Rashford, Romelu Lukaku, Anthony Martial.

Fantastic to here Jones is in the squad. Don't bloody play him tonight though. Save him for Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    Would play him in the dm role if fit and let matic push on forward.

true, matic has shown a liking for powering forward from time to time. for a big lad his feet are good in tight areas

true, matic has shown a liking for powering forward from time to time. for a big lad his feet are good in tight areas

He has played in the no10 role before so would be good to see him play further forward with a few driving runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Matic has the most dribbles of any United player this season I think I read.

Jayop wrote: »

For the DM in the team that paints a poor reflection on the other players.
    I'd suspect Pogba is close. His injury obviously stunted that.

For the DM in the team that paints a poor reflection on the other players.
    I'd suspect Pogba is close. His injury obviously stunted that.

Taking the ball past a player before passing it off is a massive feature of his game, so it doesn't surprise me at all - he takes the ball through the first line loads. Its not like he is trying to front up a full back one on one all the time - its simply that he is effective at bringing the ball through the lines.

Matic doesn't play an anchor role - he is the defensive player in midfield but he brings the ball forward loads. the call to him being the DM doesn't imply, imo, the level of positional movement afforded to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Jayop wrote: »

Heard he's quite messy in the canteen alright.....gets coat and leaves

• Advertisement

Taking the ball past a player before passing it off is a massive feature of his game, so it doesn't surprise me at all - he takes the ball through the first line loads. Its not like he is trying to front up a full back one on one all the time - its simply that he is effective at bringing the ball through the lines.

Matic doesn't play an anchor role - he is the defensive player in midfield but he brings the ball forward loads. the call to him being the DM doesn't imply, imo, the level of positional movement afforded to him.

That's fine. I'm not doubting his ability one bit. And if he has a bit more freedom that's great.
    His primary role is to protect the back four. that's why he was purchased. We have seen it countless times this season.

But for players playing in more advanced positions I would still expect them to be completing more dribbles regardless.

Martial, Rashford, Young, Miki Ryan, Mata ect

These are the players supposed to be doing damage to other teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement