Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And the bench breathes a sigh of relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Poor use of the squad tonight i thought.

Luke shaw 5 mins?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

bangkok wrote: »

Luke shaw 5 mins?!

Exactly. He wouldn't want to start spouting ****e about players been tired anytime soon

Romero is such a class keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Improved performance. Young lads looked really good. Got the job done . Happy days. Lingard deserves to start on Saturday I think instead of Miki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Still on for the quadruple!

Luke shaw 5 mins?!

Every outfield player on the bench bar Shaw was a first teamer. The use of the q squad was the starting line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bangkok loves an aul moan these days doesn’t he :D

Didn’t see the game, seen the goals over on reddit, any use in the performance?

It was an improved performance from Herrera
    I wouldn't be getting too excited for beating Swansea all the same but performances in general were much improved.

Mctormy and tenzebe played well too

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

2 nil up, thought he could have left matic and lukaku on the bench or at home to be honest. Could have brought 1 or 2 of the reserves.

astradave wrote: »

Bangkoks got a point tho Dave
    I was annoyed when Matic came on
    No need to risk him

2 nil up, thought he could have left matic and lukaku on the bench or at home to be honest. Could have brought 1 or 2 of the reserves.

The reserves started. You needed experience on the bench incase the game was in trouble. If subs have to be made then bringing on a few players for 15 odd minutes to see out a game is no problem.

League cup 1/4 final draw is on Thursday.

United
    City
    Arsenal
    Bournemouth
    Bristol
    Leicester
    Chelsea/Everton
    Spurs/WestHam

The fixtures will be played on the week of the 18th of December, so for us Between West Brom on Sunday afternoon on the 17th and Leicester Away as the late game on Saturday the 23rd. I'd imagine our game will be played on the 20th.

Would love Bristol at home. Given how these things normally throw up games against a team you're playing at that time anyway I'd be surprised if we don't get Leicester at home.

1/4 final now so we might as well win the thing and get another pot in the cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lingard, despite all his criticism on here showed why he is a valuable member of the squad. His ability to find space and make intelligent runs is second to none.
    Ok it was against weak opposition tonight and his finishing isn’t always as clinical as tonight but in a team that often struggles with movement up front I think he still has a big part to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Bangkoks got a point tho Dave
    I was annoyed when Matic came on
    No need to risk him

Risk was probably minimal it was just a run out for them two they probably wouldn't if had any meaningful training session and the game was won so they weren't going to be straining themselves.

They would if been out after the game eaitherway doing a bit of work and could of injured themselves too.

Personally myself I thought he used the squad brilliantly with the first team players that haven't played constantly getting games and two kids getting games and no injuries all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Luke shaw 5 mins?!

Blind has barely played recently and is clearly ahead of Shaw in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    Lingard, despite all his criticism on here showed why he is a valuable member of the squad. His ability to find space and make intelligent runs is second to none.
    Ok it was against weak opposition tonight and his finishing isn’t always as clinical as tonight but in a team that often struggles with movement up front I think he still has a big part to play.
    He's an intelligent footballer imo - what he tries to do us generally what i want him to do.

His execution being very inconsistent is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Lingard's ability to instigate a run to stretch defence's that's not on the wing is the best we have in our squad. He was excellent last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Good performance from everyone. Lingard's movement and finishing was class. Shame he didn't get hat trick.

Tuanzebe was pure class, his defending, ability on the ball, pace, strength are all superb. IMO he is ready for PL football and should be played more often.

Smalling had very good game too. He is back to his best.

Hopefully Tuanzebe starts against Spurs if we are playing with 3 at the back and Bailly is not completely recovered. Looks more assured and composed than other CBs.

Only disappointment from the game is Shaw not getting enough mins, should have been given at least 1 half.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Good performance from everyone. Lingard's movement and finishing was class. Shame he didn't get hat trick.

Tuanzebe was pure class, his defending, ability on the ball, pace, strength are all superb. IMO he is ready for PL football and should be played more often.

Smalling had very good game too. He is back to his best.

Hopefully Tuanzebe starts against Spurs if we are playing with 3 at the back and Bailly is not completely recovered. Looks more assured and composed than other CBs.

Only disappointment from the game is Shaw not getting enough mins, should have been given at least 1 half.

Tuanzebe is not ready yet to go against one of the best strikers in the world. He was a bit nervy last night on a couple of occassions

• Advertisement

Tuanzebe is not ready yet to go against one of the best strikers in the world. He was a bit nervy last night on a couple of occassions

Tuanzebe played against Arsenal last season, moved to RB and he kept Sanchez quiet. He has all the attributes to play in PL.

Also I'm not saying play him in a 2 CB system, only if we play 3. Smalling should play this game as his record against Spurs is very good.

Tuanzebe played against Arsenal last season, moved to RB and he kept Sanchez quiet. He has all the attributes to play in PL.

Also I'm not saying play him in a 2 CB system, only if we play 3. Smalling should play this game as his record against Spurs is very good.

Smalling will play if bailly is still out and jones will come back into the side. We are the home side, need to play to our strenghts and not play 3 at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Only saw the highlights,Romero only had 2 real saved to make and one was De Gea esque with a point blank save. Tammy Abraham congratulating him in disbelief. It's great to have 2 top keepers at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

His execution being very inconsistent is the problem.

Is it a case of him being inconsistent, or the opposition not doing their job on him now and again? He was allowed roam around a bit and given too much time last night.

Looks far better, right now, than Lindelof. Confidence would come with playing (and performing) - he won't gain confidence vs top players by sitting in the stands all the time. Whether that is game time here or somewhere else is the issue.

On Lindelof... what on earth are United going to do with him? He is a massive liability when he plays. Made a couple of big mistakes last night, and against a better team we'd have been punished - hell, they were mistakes similar to vs Huddersfield and we were punished there.

I'm not going to jump on a bandwagon of thinking he is a rubbish footballer. I trust Mourinho and the scouts well enough to assume he looked very good, and very promising for both Benfica and Sweden. I assume he didn't have a panic attack and forget how the human body works every time the ball came near him. But at United he is a bag of nerves every time the ball gets near him - he panics, gets flustered and does something stupid or executes horribly - which is a world away from the 'Iceman' composure we read about in the summer.

To me - his issues are confidence based, but playing doesn't seem to be helping him cause he makes more mistakes and that compounds the problems he is having.

I'm not saying he would be world class if his confidence wasn't shot - I assume he has weaknesses and limitations, but there is no way what we are seeing now is anywhere close to the player United scouted - it just can't be. But, if he doesn't pull himself together it doesn't matter what he did before, if he doesn't improve (massively) he will have to be sold, at a massive loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd rather Lingard in the team over Mikhitaryan, based on the energy he brings and runs he makes it creates so much space for Lukaku and Rashford to run into.

Our bench is very strong. Writing on the wall for Shaw?

Nalz wrote: »
    Is it a case of him being inconsistent, or the opposition not doing their job on him now and again? He was allowed roam around a bit and given too much time last night.

Him being inconsistent, imo.

Sometimes his interplay and passing will be really good - another time it will bobble around his shins before he kicks it away.

Sometimes he will make a great run and finish like he did last night. Other times he will absolutely mess himself and screw the chance up - who was it he sprinted through on goal against then weirdly transitioned into a jog before being tackled?

He isn't a bad passer, but sometimes he will not be able to hit an accurate 2 yard ball.

Obviously you can say the same of any footballer to some extent or another - no player is perfect at all times - but in Lingard I see, generally, the game intelligence to at least attempt the right thing at the right time but his execution isn't good enough, consistently enough, to be a first choice player for a club like United (want to be?).

His general performance level, and application, though, imo, make him a very good squad player and there is no way I would sell him.

To me, he is like Ji Sung Park - another player who I had basically the same criticisms of. I call them both 'Almost' players in that they are 'almost' great. They, relatively consistently, 'almost' score a great goal or make a great pass - that if they were a little better than they were they could be great players - cause the intelligence to put themselves in the right spot is there... just that execution isn't quite there consistently enough to right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Only saw the highlights,Romero only had 2 real saved to make and one was De Gea esque with a point blank save. Tammy Abraham congratulating him in disbelief. It's great to have 2 top keepers at the club.

Goalkeepers and defence don't matter, having a go is where it's at.

I'd rather Lingard in the team over Mikhitaryan, based on the energy he brings and runs he makes it creates so much space for Lukaku and Rashford to run into.

Our bench is very strong. Writing on the wall for Shaw?

I think Lingard works very well with Pogba and Rashford due to his movement and workrate - he interplays and connects well on the pitch with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/922910401616064513

Sergio Romero completed 1 dribble in the first half, the same amount as the entire Swansea team managed combined. #MUFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What a luxury it is to have two fantastic keepers in our team. Sergio seems happy with the role he has and has been quality every time he's put on the gloves for us.

Smalling will play if bailly is still out and jones will come back into the side. We are the home side, need to play to our strenghts and not play 3 at the back

3 at the back is not defensive, it also gives chance to play with 2 forwards.

It is the way United play it - where it is basically a back 5. 442 also gives the chance to play with 2 forwards. Loads of formations do.

It means 5 defenders on the pitch, a goalkeeper a holding midfielder and another defensive midfielder in the middle as well. Only gives you really 3 proper attacking players unless you had a left back like Marcelo

It is the way United play it - where it is basically a back 5. 442 also gives the chance to play with 2 forwards. Loads of formations do.

We don't play with back 5, Matic also pushes higher up the pitch
    It means 5 defenders on the pitch, a goalkeeper a holding midfielder and another defensive midfielder in the middle as well. Only gives you really 3 proper attacking players unless you had a left back like Marcelo

No, it depends on how the team is set up. Playing 3 at the back means Rashford and other winger will move centrally playing as strikers, otherwise they will stay wide to provide width.

Matic and Herrera is anyways usual midfield combination no matter what formation we play.

Playing 3 at the back means Rashford will play as striker with Mkhitaryan/Lingard as AM as wingbacks push higher up like Darmian did yesterday.

We don't play with back 5, Matic also pushes higher up the pitch

No, it depends on how the team is set up. Playing 3 at the back means Rashford and other winger will move centrally playing as strikers, otherwise they will stay wide to provide width.

Matic and Herrera is anyways usual midfield combination no matter what formation we play.

Playing 3 at the back means Rashford will play as striker with Mkhitaryan/Lingard as AM as wingbacks push higher up like Darmian did yesterday.

We dont have the players to play a back 5 and to be honest i dont think it suits us. If you want to play 2 up front then go for the traditional 442 or 442 diamond

We dont have the players to play a back 5 and to be honest i dont think it suits us. If you want to play 2 up front then go for the traditional 442 or 442 diamond

We don''t have right winger to play 4-4-2. We have wingers playing as fullbacks, that screams for 3 at the back and wingback role. We have Rashford who is striker but playing as left winger, Mata or Mkhitaryan who are better playing behind strikers. We have players more suited to 3 at the back formation.

It's not even about that, 3 at the back doesn't mean it's defensive formation. Spurs plays that and they scored most goals than anyone last season. It gives chance for midfielders to push higher up along with wing backs.

Unreal stat for Romero

He's made 30 Utd appearances and has 20 clean sheets

Unreal stat for Romero

He looks so cool and unflappable. What Liverpool would give for a keeper like that.

Axel may look inexperienced, he is. But if I had to choose him or Lindelovren to face Kane I'd have him.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    He looks so cool and unflappable. What Liverpool would give for a keeper like that.

Axel may look inexperienced, he is. But if I had to choose him or Lindelovren to face Kane I'd have him.

Why call him lindelovren?

Give him a chance, evra vidic and stam all had terrible starts to their utd careers and they didnt turn out too bad

Aye and they got criticism then too. If he gets his head out of his arse for one full game at the very least without a bad mistake then I'll call him Lindevidic

It's nice to see the air of calm in the thread again after the post Huddersfield meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's nice to see the air of calm in the thread again after the post Huddersfield meltdown.

8Mu53Cl.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wait til Spurs hockey us!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Unreal stat for Romero

How many against lower division teams?

How many against lower division teams?

2017/18
    Swans
    Burton - Championship

2016/17
    Ajax
    Sothamption
    Celta Vigo
    Sunderland
    Rostov
    St Ettienne
    St Ettienne
    Wigan - Championship
    Reading - Championship
    Zorya
    Feyenord
    Zorya

2015/16
    Shrewsbury - League 1
    Middlesboro - Championship
    Brugge
    Newcastle
    Villa
    Spurs

5 from his 20 clean sheets are against lower league teams. 4 of those were int he championship. He's made good saves in almost all of those 20 games and looks composed every time he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Evra didn't have a horrible start to his United career, Vidic did alright. Since they came together in the January they always get tarred with that brush.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Didn't Evra make a few mistakes in his debut and some of the next games??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Evra got destroyed on his debut. Here's a quote from him in an attempt to give some words of advice to DDG back in 2011.
    "I have been telling him not to worry because English football is not easy. I made my debut against Manchester City. It was really difficult.

"After the first 45 minutes, the manager took me off, told me to sit down, watch English football, and learn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement