Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is this article in the guardian based on anything more than Shaw getting 4 minutes last night?

While I'd agree the signs aren't looking good for him based on last night, it seems like an odd article to write without any further information.
    Luke Shaw fears for Manchester United career after José Mourinho fallout

Luke Shaw’s relationship with José Mourinho has broken down to such an extent the left-back is concerned his Manchester United career is effectively over.

Mourinho is understood to be unhappy with Shaw’s attitude, despite the player believing he has done everything possible to prove himself. The 22-year-old fears he will not be given a meaningful first-team chance again.

Shaw was part of United’s squad on the pre-season tour of the US, where he followed his own training regime as he recovered from ankle ligament damage. The defender, who made his England debut in 2014, was intent on forcing his way back into Mourinho’s plans but the manager does not feel Shaw has done enough to merit a return to the starting XI since achieving full fitness.

Shaw has featured only twice this season, as a replacement in the Carabao Cup. The second of those appearances came in Tuesday’s 2-0 win at Swansea City. Yet Shaw was allowed only four minutes by Mourinho, who preferred to start Axel Tuanzebe, a 19-year-old who had yet to feature this term and had previously made five career appearances.

Shaw is considering his options, though it is thought a move as early as January, on a permanent basis at least, is unlikely.

In April Mourinho openly questioned Shaw’s ability, saying the player was far behind team-mates and that even a place on the bench was difficult to justify. After Shaw failed to be named as a substitute for a 0-0 draw with West Bromwich Albion on 1 April, Mourinho said: “I cannot compare the way he trains, the way he commits, the focus, the ambition. I cannot compare. He is a long way behind.”

Shaw was signed in 2014 for £27m, then a world-record fee for a teenager. Yet on that summer’s tour of the US, Mourinho’s predecessor, Louis van Gaal, claimed Shaw was overweight, and the former Southampton defender then suffered a succession of injuries.

The worst of these was a double leg break in September 2015 at PSV Eindhoven which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Shaw returned last season but made only 20 appearances, the last in a 1-1 draw with Swansea on 30 April before he suffered ankle ligament damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is this article in the guardian based on anything more than Shaw getting 4 minutes last night?

While I'd agree the signs aren't looking good for him based on last night, it seems like an odd article to write without any further information.

Three words for you..

Jamie Jackson, Spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shaw this year is like Mkhitaryan last year I hope.

Though maybe Mkhitaryan this year should be getting the Shaw treatment atm :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Evra got destroyed on his debut. Here's a quote from him in an attempt to give some words of advice to DDG back in 2011.

He had a bad debut,literally only just joined the club, in January, new league, new team, he may have even had a dodgy second game but off the top of my head I don't remember anything sticking out.

He did not take until next season to find his feet, he adapted a lot quicker then Vidic who did need the best part of that initial 6 months to settle.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yet Shaw was allowed only four minutes by Mourinho, who preferred to start Axel Tuanzebe, a 19-year-old who had yet to feature this term and had previously made five career appearances.

tells you all you need to know about that article.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Come on Spurs, get an equaliser and go to extra time. That extra half hour would be no harm at all for us playing them Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Jayop wrote: »
    He's made good saves in almost all of those 20 games and looks composed every time he plays.

Romero scared the crap outta me when we first got him, he always seemed on the verge of doing something stupid and a little nervous. Seems very composed now though, an excellent no 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Disappointed that Luke Shaw wasn’t given at least 30 minutes last night,if Mou does not rate him as a player he is entitled to his opinion but a couple of years ago he was the most effective left back in the Premier League by some distance.His attitude has been called into question but you don’t suddenly become a bad player.

Even if the club are considering selling him off,if they want to get a decent fee for him they need to get him playing in likes of Carabao/FA Cup to let him get match fit.

Disappointed that Luke Shaw wasn’t given at least 30 minutes last night,if Mou does not rate him as a player he is entitled to his opinion but a couple of years ago he was the most effective left back in the Premier League by some distance.His attitude has been called into question but you don’t suddenly become a bad player.

Even if the club are considering selling him off,if they want to get a decent fee for him they need to get him playing in likes of Carabao/FA Cup to let him get match fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He had a bad debut,literally only just joined the club, in January, new league, new team, he may have even had a dodgy second game but off the top of my head I don't remember anything sticking out.

He did not take until next season to find his feet, he adapted a lot quicker then Vidic who did need the best part of that initial 6 months to settle.

His first game was a manchester derby!! Just goes the trust and belief fergie had in him.

What a signing he was in the end, one of my favourite utd players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I think we should go after Kieran Tierney from Celtic. He's gonna be class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Hello...hello...hello...hello.. bleeding echoes in here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

bangkok wrote: »
    His first game was a manchester derby!! Just goes the trust and belief fergie had in him.

What a signing he was in the end, one of my favourite utd players

Evra? One of my least favourite players for the last 3 years he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has anyone seen much of Ryan Sessegnon this season? I was super impressed with the bit I saw of him last year.

Hopefully United are showing some interest there.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Evra? One of my least favourite players for the last 3 years he was there.

2 league titles in those last 3 years.

Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Legend

Legend

I know my opinion is unpopular but he cost a tonne of goals in his last few seasons! But our side was so good so it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I know my opinion is unpopular but he cost a tonne of goals in his last few seasons! But our side was so good so it was fine.

I agree he was dreadful. So many conceded goals came from his side.

• Advertisement

Attacking wise he was still class. If he was crap do you think fergie would have kept him in the team for so long?

Legend

Ah come on, that is incredibly simplistic, and outright false. So Aguero didn't score that goal against QPR in May 2012, and Moyes won the title in his almost season at United?

1 league title in those last 3 years is more like it.

He's a club legend in my book, was amazing for us for the most part, but he was below the level of his former self in those last few seasons.

Ah come on, that is incredibly simplistic, and outright false. So Aguero didn't score that goal against QPR in May 2012, and Moyes won the title in his almost season at United?

1 league title in those last 3 years is more like it.

He's a club legend in my book, was amazing for us for the most part, but he was below the level of his former self in those last few seasons.

Sorry meant 2 in 4.

Yea his performance dropped but he was still class. Went to juve and did excellent for them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I also agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Evra more or less gave up defending for the last couple of seasons and cost us numerous goals.

He overstayed his welcome and should have been out of the club at least 12 months before he was.

He can be as great a character as he wants but he’s responsible for becoming a lazy player towards the end of his Utd career and that’s just not good enough.
    Was delighted for the team when he was finally, albeit belatedly moved on.

In his Utd prime though he was a world class full back. There was a season or two when himself and Cole were probably the two best full backs in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Evra was superb even in the last season. He was the only LB we had for years and he more or less played every game. He was our attacking threat on the left wing, so when we lose possession obviously midfield should be covering for him, he is not machine to get back and defend all the time. He always made overlap runs, so when we lose possession then he will be out of position.

If we had one more LB and gave him proper rest then maybe he would have played even better.

Also in his last season, he scored 4 goals and 5 assists in league, that's a very good record for a fullback. If you compare how **** our LBs are since Evra left, it makes him even more good. Old Evra > Any LB we had since he left.

• Advertisement

Came across this this morning:

"Should Mourinho pick Rashford or Jesse Lingard -- or Scott McTominay or Axel Tuanzebe, for that matter -- it will be 3,883 consecutive games that a United manager has selected a youth team graduate in their match-day squad.

It is a run that started on Oct. 30, 1937 -- the 80th anniversary falls on Monday, the day before United face Benfica in the Champions League -- when Tom Manley and Jackie Wassall played in a 1-0 defeat to Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

secman wrote: »
    Came across this this morning:

"Should Mourinho pick Rashford or Jesse Lingard -- or Scott McTominay or Axel Tuanzebe, for that matter -- it will be 3,883 consecutive games that a United manager has selected a youth team graduate in their match-day squad.

It is a run that started on Oct. 30, 1937 -- the 80th anniversary falls on Monday, the day before United face Benfica in the Champions League -- when Tom Manley and Jackie Wassall played in a 1-0 defeat to Fulham.

Was it an article on youth in general cause if not its a weird thing to say - not as if we are going to break a record in doing so (well, technically we are... but it is an ongoing record that we have been on our own with for ages).

We had a really long record of youth grads in the first team until we played a weakened side vs Arsenal, in one of the later seasons under Fergie, and managed not to have a youtb grad in the starting line up. It kinda annoys me cause given the team played that day having a youth grad would have almost been standard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Oh these are nice (if expensive). Nice job adidas

Celebrating 25 years of class. The adidas Originals Ninety-Two, available 03.11.17.
    https://www.adidas.co.uk/ninety-two-shoes/CG4107.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

7 of the team the other night were under 23 and 3 were local lads.

Was it an article on youth in general cause if not its a weird thing to say - not as if we are going to break a record in doing so (well, technically we are... but it is an ongoing record that we have been on our own with for ages).

We had a really long record of youth grads in the first team until we played a weakened side vs Arsenal, in one of the later seasons under Fergie, and managed not to have a youtb grad in the starting line up. It kinda annoys me cause given the team played that day having a youth grad would have almost been standard!

Just an article on espn I came across this morning , one of those hidden facts, found it interesting and especially in these days of being accused of buying success.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Just an article on espn I came across this morning , one of those hidden facts, found it interesting and especially in these days of being accused of buying success.

We have probably spent close to 3 quarters of a billion since fergie retired!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We have probably spent close to 3 quarters of a billion since fergie retired!!

#vile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Poch says Kane is a doubt for Saturdays game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »

Was about to post that.

Eric Bailly and Jones look like being fit for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Still fully expect him to play.

I wont believe it until its the 89minute of the game and there still has been no sign of him :pac:

Was about to post that.

Eric Bailly and Jones look like being fit for us.

Will be good to have Jones and Bailly back together in centre.

Now fingers crossed neither picks up a knock!

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Will be good to have Jones and Bailly back together in centre.

Now fingers crossed neither picks up a knock!

Is Baillsters definitely back?

Think he said "we'll see" when asked about Kane's availability.

Is Baillsters definitely back?

Jones seems alright despite initial worries over his reaction. Bailly has been reported saying he's feeling good but no confirmation that I've seen that he will be back in the squad. Just more so speculation.

Will get a shock now and end up with Smalling and Lindelof again haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Kane being out would be brilliant for us. I'm sure we'll see him start though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I just want Fellaini and Pogba back..

astradave wrote: »
    I just want Fellaini and Pogba back..

Listen Dave,

You can't always get what you want, no you can't always get what you want
    but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If Jones isn't fully fit he shouldn't play.

I'd like to see him play 30+ league games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

League cup draw on at 4 on twitter, one of the earlier rounds was on Chinese tv at crazy o'clock am, weird way of conducting such things. Hope city draw chelsea.

beno619 wrote: »

I think jones will never be fully fit. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A half fit jones is still better than most he's just too damn fragile though always has been since he was signed.

beno619 wrote: »

After he went off there were news sites (I wouldn't count them as most reputable) saying it was simply a knock and he'd be back for Swansea game.

The fact he was named on the bench for the cup game and has been training it would indicate he could well be fully fit. Jose will definitely know anyway.

If he does play and seems fit then to me it's a promising sign. Maybe he's getting smarter coming off with a knock and protecting himself rather than trying to force himself to play on with it only to do something worse.

Of course it's just speculation but he has a previous history of playing on with knocks.

Carabao cup draw. Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Carabao cup draw. Pathetic

Explain why for us that haven't a clue wtf you on about...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement