Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on him, but the more I watch Ander lately i fail to see what he is bringing to the team, what purpose he serves this season. I'm not even sure he is bringing the energy and drive he showed the last couple of seasons. He just seems to be too safe now, even with Matic playing along side him. He doesn't look to bring the ball forward enough. For me Matic, is far more effective at initiating forward play, by ether carrying the ball forward or looking for a forward pass. I would have thought Matic would have freed Ander up more. I only seem to recall him having 2 or 3 attempts on goal this season. Maybe it's a confidence thing, i don't know but i struggle to see him remaining an important player for us in any regard.

He's played poorly.

If he continues to play poorly then he won't be important.

If he regains his top form, he will remain an important member of the squad.

I find it odd to be talking about him like this based on poor form rather than what we have seen from him. Form is temporary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

JamboMac wrote: »
    If Neymar keeps up this attitude, do you think this summer we make an offer. He doesn't seem happy. Wonder if we could do a deal, he wants to be king somewhere, but somehow just ends up a spoiled brat.

He earns 550k a week after tax. No chance of us going near him or no chance of him leaving in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    He earns 550k a week after tax. No chance of us going near him or no chance of him leaving in the summer

Unless he stays there forever of me goes to China, if he leaves he will get less money where ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Unless he stays there forever of me goes to China, if he leaves he will get less money where ever.

Won't be china anyway the ass has fell out of that already with the tax and stuff they have put on big deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Happy 47th Edwin!

22829512_10156174341880982_4555123761632381324_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=20a364a3b0eab48b1a9667fbfa8912bf&oe=5A62E2F2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

He's played poorly.

If he continues to play poorly then he won't be important.

If he regains his top form, he will remain an important member of the squad.

I find it odd to be talking about him like this based on poor form rather than what we have seen from him. Form is temporary...

Form is temporary.....of course. I am speaking more about his ability and his specific roles and attributes he brings to the team. Was his high energy, in your faced, terrier approach something we were glad to see in a team which lacked that bite and character. What type of player is Ander? He's here a number of seasons and i still can't really answer that very well. Is he good enough to step in for Matic in his defensive role? Is he good enough to step in for Pogba ion his creative role? We know Mourinho likes players who perform specific enough roles. I'm wondering if Ander can perform any of these to the level we need. That is my point.......not basing it on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Form is temporary.....of course. I am speaking more about his ability and his specific roles and attributes he brings to the team. Was his high energy, in your faced, terrier approach something we were glad to see in a team which lacked that bite and character. What type of player is Ander? He's here a number of seasons and i still can't really answer that very well. Is he good enough to step in for Matic in his defensive role? Is he good enough to step in for Pogba ion his creative role? We know Mourinho likes players who perform specific enough roles. I'm wondering if Ander can perform any of these to the level we need. That is my point.......not basing it on current form.

Ander has been rusty, and has not played well. But hes done enough in previous seasons to earn some patience. One of the most tiresome things is the constant search for the weak link in the squad who needs to be sold because they are not first team quality. The names change, but the hunt persists. We need a squad, not just a first team. If there was better players than Ander in the squad, he wouldn't be getting games.

Sand wrote: »
    Ander has been rusty, and has not played well. But hes done enough in previous seasons to earn some patience. One of the most tiresome things is the constant search for the weak link in the squad who needs to be sold because they are not first team quality. The names change, but the hunt persists. We need a squad, not just a first team. If there was better players than Ander in the squad, he wouldn't be getting games.

I'm not sure where i said for him to be sold in any of my posts. I did say "an important squad player". I fully agree more is needed than just the first team. However, to progress both domestically, and abroad, the squad players need to be able to perform to a high level in what they are meant to do. My question is........can Ander do such?The argument about him being rusty........he's had enough starts and minutes on the pitch this season that rustiness doesn't hold sway for me. He does seem down the picking order in midfield by the looks of it. Matic and Pogba are the starting 2. Then Fellaini and i would imagine Carrick if fit. 3 of those are injured.

Meh its Herrera now who is heavily critiqued, over the summer it was Young. Next it'll probably be Mhiki between Nov-Jan. Wonder who'll be picked for later half of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

pjohnson wrote: »
    Meh its Herrera now who is heavily critiqued, over the summer it was Young. Next it'll probably be Mhiki between Nov-Jan. Wonder who'll be picked for later half of the season?

Eh

Herrera is playing badly though?

pjohnson wrote: »

Whoever is playing badly I'd imagine??????

You know it's ok to discuss players performances on a discussion thread?

No one is going over the top and making outlandish statements about him that he ain't good enough of should be sold or never play for the team again.

I myself was raving about how good ander was only a few months ago bit it can not be ignored that his early appearances this year have been very below par I can't remember which game it was he made an appearance in the line-up I think it was stoke but I commented that when ander got the ball he seemed to slow down the attack he didn't move it on fast enough or look out for the forward pass that's my biggest problem with him but I thought in the second half yesterday he was actually decent alot bwtter from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only managed to see the second half of the match yesterday.

So people booed Mourinho for bringing off Rashford and bringing on Martial? Why? I thought Rashford had a poor second half and I was shouting at the TV for him to bring on Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Off topic but at nearly 51 years of age I got my first tattoo today!!
    A sort of test tattoo to see if I was ok with getting one done before getting something designed by myself done in the future that will be more substantial(a memorial tattoo)

Anyway I survived. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Only managed to see the second half of the match yesterday.

So people booed Mourinho for bringing off Rashford and bringing on Martial? Why? I thought Rashford had a poor second half and I was shouting at the TV for him to bring on Martial.
    He's come out and said he wasn't happy with that. And that Lukaku isn't getting enough support.

I'm assuming the crowd had issue with a like for like replacement as opposed to "really going for it". A tad harsh me thinks.

I had Rashford in th running for motm so was disappointed to see him be8ng subbed.

Obviously I forgot about it shortly afterward when the net bulged!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

adox wrote:
    Off topic but at nearly 51 years of age I got my first tattoo today!! A sort of test tattoo to see if I was ok with getting one done before getting something designed by myself done in the future that will be more substantial(a memorial tattoo)

Theyre a bit addictive i got one done about fifteen years ago been mad to get another one since. Always said id just get one :-D

adox wrote: »
    I had Rashford in th running for motm so was disappointed to see him be8ng subbed.

Obviously I forgot about it shortly afterward when the net bulged!!

I think a lot of people commented that Rashford looked like he was tiring I wasn't surprised when he made the sub to be honest and again it turned out to be the correct move.

Jose can he criticised for a lot of things over the years but one thing he gets right time and time again is substitutions he is a master if them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

A sort of test tattoo to see if I was ok with getting one done before getting something designed by myself done in the future that will be more substantial(a memorial tattoo)

Out of curiosity was the tattoo for Corbett suicide prevention, had a few friends who got some today?

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Out of curiosity was the tattoo for Corbett suicide prevention, had a few friends who got some today?

It wasn’t no, I didn’t realize that was a thing today.
    I do plan on getting something personal for a couple of family members lost to cancer so just got a stock tattoo done today to see how I found the experience.

Sand wrote: »

Great point. He has been poor recently and has been criticized for it, rightly so.

However as you say he's important to the squad as a whole. To suggest we need rid of him is was overboard.

I do plan on getting something personal for a couple of family members lost to cancer so just got a stock tattoo done today to see how I found the experience.

Was on in Limerick, €30 for a small tattoo and all the cash to Corbett suicide prevention,

What is the story with fellaini? Said it was 2-3 week injury, surely he is back soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Are you going to be getting it in the same place on opposite arm/leg? The placing of the tattoo can make a big difference pain wise.. I have plenty myself, ones on my upper arm was nothing compared to the one on my back

astradave wrote: »
    Are you going to be getting it in the same place on opposite arm/leg? The placing of the tattoo can make a big difference pain wise.. I have plenty myself, ones on my upper arm was nothing compared to the one on my back

I’m not sure yet but most likely on the same place on the opposite arm just bigger. Got it done on the forearm. Will definitely be somewhere I can see easily as a reminder so won’t be on my back. The tattoo artist who did it had the back of his head tattooed during the week and said it was agony!

On topic: Go Utd.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure yet but most likely on the same place on the opposite arm just bigger. Got it done on the forearm. Will definitely be somewhere I can see easily as a reminder so won’t be on my back. The tattoo artist who did it had the back of his head tattooed during the week and said it was agony!

On topic: Go Utd.

Ah yeah I have one on my wrist which wasn’t too bad at all, will be getting one done on the opposite forearm early next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ander has been awful in general this year but he's still a class player and hopefully yesterday was a sign he's playing himself back into form. He needs to hurry up about it because once Pogba is back there's going to be much less opportunity for Ander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Congrats. On the subject of off topics number 3 arrived today at 6.34am. Getting her a United kit as soon as she can fit into one.

On the subject of off topics number 3 arrived today at 6.34am.

Congrats! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Congrats. On the subject of off topics number 3 arrived today at 6.34am. Getting her a United kit as soon as she can fit into one.

Massive congratulations!

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    What is the story with fellaini? Said it was 2-3 week injury, surely he is back soon?

According to PhysioRoom.com he's due back in a week. Pogba in 3 weeks.

Ah well thanks and I think the real congrats belongs to you.
    Only 8 more to go and you have a full team. :)

Congrats pal excellent weekend for you.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great point. He has been poor recently and has been criticized for it, rightly so.

However as you say he's important to the squad as a whole. To suggest we need rid of him is was overboard.

Again, who suggested getting rid? I questioned his ability to be an important squad member.
    Currently:

Martial......important squad member? Yes

Darmian.......important squad member? No.

See the difference?

I don't mind Ander being a squad player at all. Does he offer enough if 1 of our first team members are out? Don't see the issue with questioning it. Of course i'll be delighted if he starts to prove me wrong and contribute more than he is.........he then makes the squad stronger!!

Congrats, herself is due in a couple of weeks, I’ve already ordered loads of United bibs, vests and bodysuits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Typical of the "snowball" effect that's often on show here.

You mention one thing negative or somewhat critical with valid reasoning and within ten posts it's assumed that you originally shat all over a player / manager / the team.

I apologize clubberlang & SMB

I had missed some of your posts, fair enough you did not suggest to get rid of him

Again, who suggested getting rid? I questioned his ability to be an important squad member.
    Currently:

Martial......important squad member? Yes

Darmian.......important squad member? No.

See the difference?

I don't mind Ander being a squad player at all. Does he offer enough if 1 of our first team members are out? Don't see the issue with questioning it. Of course i'll be delighted if he starts to prove me wrong and contribute more than he is.........he then makes the squad stronger!!

Our primary back up right back (also quite competent on the left) ISNT important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Congrats brother, wish her all the health and good stuff in the world

DrPhilG wrote: »
    According to PhysioRoom.com he's due back in a week. Pogba in 3 weeks.

3 weeks. Long long time out... HE makes such a big difference

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Congrats, herself is due in a couple of weeks, I’ve already ordered loads of United bibs, vests and bodysuits :D

Brilliant. Best of luck

Ah well thanks and I think the real congrats belongs to you.
    Only 8 more to go and you have a full team. :)

Never, 3 under 5 is enough. I'm done if i could get the snip I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Y'all making me emotional and shi!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He is the 5th choice central midfielder in the squad by your account. What team in the premier league can call on a better 5th choice midfielder?

He hasn't played well in the 4 PL starts this season. He's not good enough to dislodge Matic or Pogba when everyone is fit. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

Can't stop listening to this today :P

https://youtu.be/YcjZAvQFZdQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Congrats man. Hope mother and child are doing great.

I just got to watch the Spurs game now and catch up with the threads.

Overall, a solid, promising performance with some nice positives to take from it. Our talisman of the moment, Mick, bagged a peach lemon of a winner at the death.

As for the match - I can't ask for much more without getting a bit petulant. It wasn't a great performance by any means, but the players seemed hungry and up for it. Desire that wasn't evident in the previous 2 league games made a welcome return. Sure, 3 or 4 nil against a Top 6 team would create nice headlines and 'lay down a marker', but the 1-0 result, decent performance and 3 points are wholly satisfying.

I thought our CM did well, as well as it could against what seemed to be 4 around the centre for Spurs. Matic, composed and effective as usual. Herrera is improving too - His offensive game still has a bit to go but I thought defensively he played quite well.

Ashley Young played out of his skin and has been strong for us when used so far this season. He might not be the first name on every fan's starting 11, but he is pretty much the ideal squad player. For a top team, you want to see a squad player make a claim for a spot in the first 11 when used, rather than just do an adequate job filling in until the regular starter returns. Ashley Young really is claiming a starting place in the team with his current form.

Mkhitaryan is a conundrum though and is making a strong claim for a spot on the bench. He has not been effective for us for the most part lately, but he still nearly got an assist against Spurs. That has been more or less the way it goes for him - Even when he scores/assists, the rest of his game is generally sub-par but the goal/assist justifies his place. Earlier this season, there was regular enough use of the 'Mkhi has been dire so far this game - goal/assist incoming' type of comment in the match-threads and those were amusing because they were partially true.

Now that the goals and assists have hit a road block, it's hard to see how he is keeping his place in the regular 11. I don't think he offers that much defensively, which Jose likes from his attacking players. I understand that giving him some minutes will afford him the chance to play himself into form, but we need much more from an attacking player who isn't a service-starved lone striker. Hopefully a turn of form is not far off for Mkhi.

The goal - sweet flick from Lukaku, great run from Martial, but surely he didn't mean that shot as it appeared? Because that would be fúcking scary if so.

If he had have drilled that shot low and hard instead, Lloris could have stopped it with it his feet. If he had have gone for height and the top corner, he could have hit the stands. Instead, he appears to have chosen a precise moment to side-foot the ball into the ground to bounce it across the sliding defender and spreading goalkeeper. Almost too perfect, and possibly a 'I guess we'll never really know what he meant to do' sort of goal. Good stuff from him anyway.

https://streamable.com/4gxcf

Well done to the manager. Effective subs (I thought Lingard did a job in stretching the Spurs defence and creating more space for Lukaku to work with, and he almost got an assist with Lukaku's header on the post) and an effective gameplan. I can see that 'Shhh' gif coming back to haunt Jose in the future, such is the internet, but I got a good laugh out of it.

Two games left now before the next international break. A win on Tuesday at home to Benfica is well within the team's abilities, and with it qualification to the knock-out stages of the CL. We should be getting this group wrapped up asap. December will be busy enough without having to go balls-to-the-wall in those last two group games. As for Chelsea, I've a feeling that we'll get a narrow win. That's enough on that for now.

Congratulations to sreq utek on the new arrival and to astra for his pending arrival. Fair balls to adox for getting his first tattoo. Anyone else with good stuff to celebrate, congratulations to everyone! That reminds me...deaddonkey, how did the 'date with a female' go a few weeks back?? A gentleman never tells, so how was it? :pac:

Also...anyone know if zerks is perma-gone or just on a time-out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Congrats bro.

3 weeks. Long long time out... HE makes such a big difference

It is but it's really only Chelsea game next week he will be back fresh after international break mid November if he is already back in training.

I couldn't imagine jose bringing him back next weekend and then having him called up for France.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah here, there's another flipping international break?

Edit. Just remembered of course there is cause the Ireland game is coming up. Ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement