Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    So if we get a peno against chelsea this weekend who will take it?

Bailly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

jayo26 wrote: »
    How has he been poor he is working his socks off for the team again made some nice runs from out wide missed a chance yes but that don't make him poor.

Rashford comes on and adds energy straight away same as martial did the weekend.

So you think Lukaku was better than martial??? He has missed two sitters and his hold up play and first touch has been piss poor. Why couldn't Mourinho try Rashford and martial together??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mata if he is on the pitch, then Ander or Matic possibly (presuming Young will start over Blind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lukaku is well down the pecking order.

What's odd is that Jose previously said that Mata is the first choice taker and when not on the pitch he's happy for the players to figure it out amongst themselves.

Not sure if things have changed since then or Martial took matters into his own hands with the first penalty.

astradave wrote: »
    Jose's policy is you miss you're out, onto the next taker

Was that not LVG? Or do they both do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Did he really just do 5 keepy ups in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hopefully blind is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blind is very lucky there.

Any more force on his leg and it could've snapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mata if he is on the pitch, then Ander or Matic possibly (presuming Young will start over Blind)

Then why didnt mata take the peno that martial missed?

Robson99 wrote: »
    So you think Lukaku was better than martial??? He has missed two sitters and his hold up play and first touch has been piss poor. Why couldn't Mourinho try Rashford and martial together??

No it hasn't
    And he got another assist pretty much with the play into Rashford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

Piss poor yet again.far too often this season

Then why didnt mata take the peno that martial missed?

Maybe the poster has already taken Martials miss into account with his prediction of pen taker for this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Robson99 wrote: »

Where did I say he was better then martial? Martial was man of the match for me but that don't mean that lukaku was poor and they were far from sitters but again show me a striker that don't miss chances? Don't make them poor.

He did try them together in the league cup they didn't do much. He swapped players the weekend and martial scored he swapped players today and Rashford won a penalty... game over manager was right in his subs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Look so much better since Herrera came on. Our buying policy has forced three in midfield as the only realistic option. I’m surprised Jose hasn’t stipuck solidly to it.

With that I’d love to see Martial and Rashford on the pitch together with Lukaku.

Nalz wrote: »
    Maybe the poster has already taken Martials miss into account with his prediction of pen taker for this weekend?

But mata was meant to be the taker. He is first choice. Anyway blind scored but i think its a dangerous game not having a designated peno taker

It's looking bleak lads
    12 clean sheets in the last 16 at home
    Qualified for the knock out stages of the CL
    I think a sacking is on the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I really think Smalling is becoming a liability in this squad.

He tends to be ball watching this season

Nalz wrote: »

Exactly - Martial scored one v Everton so it made good sense for him to take one again. Now that he has missed one, Mata might be Jose's preferred choice.

What game are yee watching lads? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was watching without commentary and not reading here, so I have to admit, the sheer negativity took me off guard if I'm honest. While there wasn't a swashbuckling amazing game, i didn't think we were as toxic as some made out. Benfica barely looked at the races, and while we had weaknesses, there was nothing I worry about massively.

12 from 12 in the group stages is great too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's looking bleak lads
    12 clean sheets in the last 16 at home
    Qualified for the knock out stages of the CL
    I think a sacking is on the cards
    Technically we haven't but it would take a ridiculous string of results for us to not qualify and top the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

jayo26 wrote: »
    Where did I say he was better then martial? Martial was man of the match for me but that don't mean that lukaku was poor and they were far from sitters but again show me a striker that don't miss chances? Don't make them poor.

He did try them together in the league cup they didn't do much. He swapped players the weekend and martial scored he swapped players today and Radford won a penalty... game over manager was right in his subs again.
    My point initially was why take off martial when he wa our best player. Lukaku should gave been called ashore
    Too much faith in Lukaku. Martial and Rashford are playing much better than him and deserve a couple of games together up front. 6 games without a goal for Lukaku and been poor in most of them. Time for the other two to start together for a change

I really don’t know what other people see when watching Smalling compared to me. He’s one of our best defenders on the books at the moment.

Anyway whatever your opinion of him, I’d say get used to him playing a lot of games. Lindelof looks a mile off being ready for first team football at Utd, Blind was never good enough and Jones...well he just won’t be available enough.

You are going to see Smalling and Bailly play together more often than not for the rest of the season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I really wasn't convinced by McTominay in that first half but he had a great 2nd half. Thought he was excellent, particularly when Herrera came into the middle to help out. Delighted for him.

Lukaku not having the best run in terms of goal scoring but I thought he worked really hard and fought for everything.

Martial and Rashford are seriously exciting players to have in our squad. Martial looked dangerous anytime he ran at the full back, he has incredibly quick feet, even when running full tilt.

I thought the whole balance and shape of the team looked far more effective when Herrera came on. 3 in the middle is the way to go imo. 2nd half far better than the first. Overall it was an efficient performance, not great but not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Frustrating bull**** game to watch.

Job done and all that, but the team don't look happy, the manager doesn't look happy and the football is ****ing **** by and large.

Major improvements required going forward, this rut is continuing a little too long for my liking.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I was watching without commentary and not reading here, so I have to admit, the sheer negativity took me off guard if I'm honest. While there wasn't a swashbuckling amazing game, i didn't think we were as toxic as some made out. Benfica barely looked at the races, and while we had weaknesses, there was nothing I worry about massively.

they outplayed us for first 20-25 minutes, de gea made a world class save, Bailly was lucky not to have conceded a peno and they hit the post, better teams will punish us. We were blessed to get a handy group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Smalling didn't put a foot wrong in that game that I noticed so not sure how he'd be picked out for criticism tonight.

Anyway, not great, but **** it, another 3 points and top of the group as good as guaranteed with two games to play. Will mean if we even get a draw in the next game we can rest everyone for the game before the City match. Quite a few negatives, but a lot of positives to take from it. Thought McToniney was excellent, really grew into the game. Darmian and Smalling were very solid. DeGea as usual, class. Martial and then Rashford were excellent. Blind was useless, and Mkhi when he came on managed to make Blind look better he was so bad.

they outplayed us for first 20-25 minutes, de gea made a world class save, Bailly was lucky not to have conceded a peno and they hit the post, better teams will punish us. We were blessed to get a handy group

Ah now, a world class save. It was one for the cameras but almost every keeper saves that.

Well the thing for me is, for every Spurs type performance there seems to be a performance like tonight come straight away. It’s more the attitude than the technical performance. Standing off players, being second best to the back etc against a vastly inferior team is just not a good thing to see and happens to regularly.

I think it was Buckety questioning the character of some of the players in the squad and I’d have to agree. It happens too often for it to be an off night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He tends to be ball watching this season

Strange that you write that after a game in which Bailly put an attacker straight in on goal and was blessed not to give away a penalty, added to a generally poor performance overall. Bailly did that and yet its Smalling that you criticise?

Shows the importance of reputation I guess.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah now, a world class save. It was one for the cameras but almost every keeper saves that.

except for Mignolet :)

adox wrote: »
    Well the thing for me is, for every Spurs type performance there seems to be a performance like tonight come straight away. It’s more the attitude than the technical performance. Standing off players, being second best to the back etc against a vastly inferior team is just not a good thing to see and happens to regularly.

I think it was Buckety questioning the character of some of the players in the squad and I’d have to agree. It happens too often for it to be an off night.

Oh, I'll agree about character. I think there's players at United for years now that don't have the attitude needed for the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Major improvements required going forward, this rut is continuing a little too long for my liking.

The rut?

WTF.

This place is getting fcking tiring with this nonsense.

4 wins from 4 in the CL top of the group.
    2nd in the league just on the back of beating one of the best teams in the prem.

With a squad were some people on here think half of them are not good enough to be in the team.

All this while missing two of our best creative players and one of the best defenders last year.

Going on that. He's making miracles.

Get out of the clouds lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I had it on in the background and nothing really happened, two equal enough teams going through the motions, not much to pick between them.

Two penalty decisions and a keeper deflection is really all there was. There wasn't a period of pressure built up by either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

McTominay was really decent tonight, Jose again justified why Rashford and Martial are supersubs for each other and we edged closer to Griezmann in January.

That's a pretty good night for United in my eyes.

So anyway. Another huge game of real significance coming up. I think we were done 4-0 last year at the Bridge so not hard to improve on that. Hopefully we go there looking to get the win against the Champions. Really missing Pogba in the middle and it's effecting our play so much despite not having too much effect on our results. The Huddersfield game was a blip and that will happen from time to time for every team. Come back from that with two wins in a row and would be great to turn this into a fully fledged good run.

edit: three wins actually. Forgot about the Swansea game.

thought McTominay did very well, took up some good positions to look for the ball, started off slow but grew into the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Jayop wrote: »
    So anyway. Another huge game of real significance coming up. I think we were done 4-0 last year at the Bridge so not hard to improve on that. Hopefully we go there looking to get the win against the Champions. Really missing Pogba in the middle and it's effecting our play so much despite not having too much effect on our results. The Huddersfield game was a blip and that will happen from time to time for every team. Come back from that with two wins in a row and would be great to turn this into a fully fledged good run.

Chelsea's result tonight is further evidence that they are rather poor defensively and there's goals there for the taking. With that in mind I fully expect us to camp in our own half again and hope to capitalise on one or two chances that may or may not come.

Pluses
    • Another victory and another clean sheet.
    • We should go on to top the group which shouldn't be underestimated. Fergie teams failed to do so in groups that were just as easy.
    • Matic doing what he was brought in to do. I think he's a big reason why we've conceded fewer goals this season.
    • The Martial/Rashford tag team strike again
    • Mc Tominay did well considering it was his first CL start.

Negatives
    • 2 man midfield seems to be an issue, certainly without Pogba
    • Some players can't do the most basic of things far too often these days. Blind can't cross a ball, Mhiki can't stand up and there's plenty of other other guilty parties
    • We really didn't create many clear cut chances because of the above 2 points
    • The Martial/Rashford tag team works so well Jose probably has little interest in playing the two together these days
    • Performances like this evening will be punished by better teams
    • Jose being a bit of a dick in his post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

limnam wrote: »
    The rut?

WTF.

This place is getting fcking tiring with this nonsense.

4 wins from 4 in the CL top of the group.
    2nd in the league just on the back of beating one of the best teams in the prem.

With a squad were some people on here think half of them are not good enough to be in the team.

All this while missing two of our best creative players and one of the best defenders last year.

Going on that. He's making miracles.

Get out of the clouds lads

The rut.

Yes, the rut performance wise has been going on too long for my liking.

Offensively we are nowhere near good enough, Pogba being out is a huge part of that, doesn't excuse it though. The attitude of a lot of the players is highly questionable.

My standards for the squad are high? Yeah, they sure are and maybe thats where the fault lies? Am I expecting too much from them?Possibly but I can't say I think so.

We are doing well results wise yes, other then the Huddersfield one but these things happen.

The performances are hugely important though, the results will follow performance in the long run. You only need to look to LVG reign, when we were top of the league after a few games but you could see the performances dipping and they never recovered.

I don't want to see that again this year, I can accept a lot in terms of performance and getting the win is the main thing, but at some point decision making needs to improve, attacking cohesion needs to improve and desire to bust a gut to win needs to be shown consistently.

For what I want the team to achieve at the end of the season the bar is high. I don't make any apologies for that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

qHldvbu.jpg

#Rut

So the home game against Newcastle will the our chance to do 10 straight home victories. Would be bloody brilliant.

Last loss at home was September 2016 against City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

12 points out of 12.

10 goals scored.

1 goal conceded.

99.99% guaranteed qualification to the knockouts at a minimum.

Any fan offered that at the beginning of the group stages would have taken it in a heart beat.

We are far from firing on all cylinders.

Players like Mikhi that started the season so well have regressed form wise.

There seems to be an air of lethargy across most of the team which is slightly concerning.

However imo Pogs will make a massive difference when he comes back in, he adds a whole different dimension to the team.

It's job done as far as this stage of the CL goes so it will allow some players a rest coming into a hectic Christmas and New Year period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Chelsea looking very ordinary, don't seem to be able to handle anyone running at pace at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

qHldvbu.jpg

Sacked in the morning
    Your getting sacked in the mooooooooornnning!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Look so much better since Herrera came on. Our buying policy has forced three in midfield as the only realistic option. I’m surprised Jose hasn’t stipuck solidly to it.

With that I’d love to see Martial and Rashford on the pitch together with Lukaku.

Yeah I don’t get his constant 4-2-3-1 formation. To me it’s a bit too safe having two midfielders playing from deep.

Surely 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 is obvious, being its when we’ve played some of of best stuff under Mourinho.

Rashford and Martial flanking Lukaku seems so obvious at this stage. Can even have Mata or Mhiki in alongside Herrera and Matic. I’d say Mhiki for his dribbling and pace from midfield.

But this 4-2-3-1 formation is becoming draining. Come to believe it’s not even a real formation that has any offensive pattern the more I see it and read some pieces on tactics.

I’m really hoping this is a little blip early that we turn around Xmas to click and start really ramping up. This is starting to feel like last season performance wise after such a positive start to the season.

Chelsea in a bad way and things not right there. Hopefully we go with the right attitude and mindset into that game to take advantage.

Wishful thinking on my part, but players prefer playing on the front foot and believing they are the ****. Team needs a pick me up. That wasn’t the best reaction from the weekend result.

All in all though, cl group breezed. That’s brilliant going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

12 points out of 12.

10 goals scored.

1 goal conceded.

99.99% guaranteed qualification to the knockouts at a minimum.

In fairness not qualifying from this group in first would have been pathetic. It’s a pretty rubbish group.

It’s been navigated well though and not taken lightly but I think minimum expectation should be walking that group at this point no?

paulbok wrote: »
    Chelsea looking very ordinary, don't seem to be able to handle anyone running at pace at them

I think they have really missed Kante - a pity he will be back at the weekend most likely

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness not qualifying from this group in first would have been pathetic. It’s a pretty rubbish group.

It’s been navigated well though and not taken lightly but I think minimum expectation should be walking that group at this point no?

Minimum and maximum given it's the absolute most you can do too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement