Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

And before anybody says it, I already know what Jose did at his previous clubs.

Oh so you just realised it does get results.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm off to support Burnley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

limnam wrote: »
    Follow Liverpool

All the sexy football with fck all results and no trophies.

problem solved

Great head up your own hole response. Quality

Robson99 wrote: »
    Great head up your own hole response. Quality

Great 11yr old response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Follow Liverpool

All the sexy football with fck all results and no trophies.

problem solved

Why did you cite them and not City?

• Advertisement

He could follow Cork City too.

Some great football from them this year.

You also get a league title...

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dont even bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This thread was easier to follow when we had Rooney in midfield under van gaal and 1 goal scored by the whole team in the month of November....

Never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

He could follow Cork City too.

Some great football from them this year.

You also get a league title...

Good point

Point being that Mourinho was always going to be a divisive appointment, a large proportion of fans were never going to take to his style of management, I personally do not know a United fan who is happy with him, I have to come on here to see his happy fans :)

secman wrote: »
    Point being that Mourinho was always going to be a divisive appointment, a large proportion of fans were never going to take to his style of management, I personally do not know a United fan who is happy with him, I have to come on here to see his happy fans :)

It's possible you might be a bit young.

That's understandable

Most people I know are happy we're

Back in the CL

waltzing through it

competing in the PL again.

This is a huge improvement over the last few years.

We're only 1/4 way through the second season.....

Patience grass hoppers

• Advertisement

It's possible you might be a bit young.

That's understandable

Most people I know are happy we're

Back in the CL

waltzing through it

competing in the PL again.

This is a huge improvement over the last few years.

We're only 1/4 way through the second season.....

Patience grass hoppers

I was 11 yrs old watching 1968 European cup Final, I offered up many a holy communion to knock those pool fckrs off their fcking perch. Yep I'm 60 years young ! :)

I was 11 yrs old watching 1968 European cup Final, I offered up many a holy communion to knock those pool fckrs off their fcking perch. Yep I'm 60 years young ! :)

Must be the grandkids you're knocking about with then ;)

What's crazy is Jose is offering up much better football then the tripe lvg and Moyers did with more success and he is getting way more stick. Media brainwashing of the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh so you just realised it does get results.

Well done.

"It" isn't the same as "it" was at Chelsea, Madrid or Inter. I am completely unsurprised that you cannot see that.

I am very happy with the job he has done to this point, and I have praised him extensively on here.

I'm just not going to ignore practices that I think will cost us when it comes to reaching the very top.

What's crazy is Jose is offering up much better football then the tripe lvg and Moyers did with more success and he is getting way more stick. Media brainwashing of the masses.

The prem has become more like corrie and east enders over the years.

Which leads to ideals like we're seeing on here, not just in the united thread

Maybe we're reaching the peak of that.

Roy's speech on prawn sambo's is probably more relevant today than it ever was.

Waaaaay past my bed time..... night all :)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No I don't give a ****e. Not when I understand the current situation.
    This won't be the case all season and I'm confident of that.
    I just have more patience than others.

Consider this for a minute.

What we have seen this season has already been a microcosm of last season.

Yes or no?

I am very happy with the job he has done to this point, and I have praised him extensively on here.

I'm just not going to ignore practices that I think will cost us when it comes to reaching the very top.

Why don't you just wait it out and see how it goes instead of dooms daying the while thing with the league barley started

Playing sexy football doesn't guarantee you anything.

Playing "defensive" football doesn't guarantee you anything

Playing the "right" way at the "right" times _most_ of the time, gives you a chance.

We're steadying the ship. Stopping the rot.

We're also doing _really_ _really_ well while doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And before anybody says it, I already know what Jose did at his previous clubs.

If you know that then I can't comprehend how you say it can't win titles or European cups when it has done. Time and time again.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    If you know that then I can't comprehend how you say it can't win titles or European cups when it has done. Time and time again.

Because I don't think it is the same. Certainly not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Because I don't think it is the same. Certainly not yet.

What's different apart from city having g close on the best league start in pl history being just above us? So much of what's happening fits into his second season in absolute typical fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

beno619 wrote: »
    You stated that the midfield was hopeless without Pogba. Which is incorrect.

Nobody has argued against Pogba making us better on paper.

Midfield is hopeless without Pogba as they can't create attacks or carry the ball forward.

Its tale as old as time lads, the player that is missing gets better with every game that passes.

Some of you are going to be really puzzled when Pogba comes back and we still throw up a few Liverpool/Huddersfield style performances.

Not sure whether you are deliberately missing the point, did anyone say with Pogba we will be playing like peak Barca and smash teams? No, all they said is with Pogba our performance levels will improve as he brings some of the skills which only he can in our squad, something like carrying the ball forward which means less responsibility on Matic to create and also attacking players don't have to drop deep to receive passes.

Of course Liverpool and Huddersfield performances will happen even with Pogba sometimes just like Girona and Real Betis happened to Real Madird with Kroos and Modric in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nalz wrote: »
    what games and how many, just out of interest?

Leicester & Stoke imo.

Sorry but that's simply not true

Stoke was our first stinker, Pogba was in the side. I'd also argue that we were poor enough in the Leicester game before it.

But the logic you and a few others keep repeating is that team should be coping without Pogba.

However the players supposed to stepping up are not stepping up. So it doesn't matter a squat. As the team looks significantly weakened because of repeat poor performances from these individuals.

I disagree.

It's definitely worth discussing why are midfield is underperforming with or without Pogba. I think it's insane that posters here think performances levels will magically improve once he returns and god knows when that will be.

beno619 wrote: »
    I disagree.

It's definitely worth discussing why are midfield is underperforming with or without Pogba. I think it's insane that posters here think performances levels will magically improve once he returns and god knows when that will be.

That's fine, discuss it. But Ive said multiple times I believe it is because of underperforming players in the same position Pogba plays in. Pogba also works and covers more ground.
    Miki has been a disaster and has been playing just in front of Matic / Herrera for weeks now.
    Both Herrera and Miki have hugely underperformed.
    When fellani was covering for Pogba initially and was available we were much better but he's not been available either now.
    Yes it will improve drastically when he returns unless Miki and Herrera get their act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't understand Herrera. I know he was playing the deep role a lot last season but he was still stepping up to support. Now he only seems to be getting forward as the attack breaks down and tries to shoot every time the ball falls to him at the edge of the box no matter the difficulty. This despite his shooting being deplorable.

I think he had a falling out with Mourinho and is now trying to follow his instructions to the letter and not do anything that goes against the tactical plan. The problem is that it's that player's job to link defense and attack and now nobody is doing it. The defense need to move up to counteract it which with Bailly back may now happen. That and Herrera did well against Chelsea last season (silly sending off aside) so I'm hopeful of an improvement at the weekend.

• Advertisement

It's alot of this too.
    The amount of criticism being received and yet last years PL champions have lost 4 games in the PL and were hammered by Roma

Consider this for a minute.

What we have seen this season has already been a microcosmof last season.

Yes or no?

What??! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What??! :pac:

Basically it’s a smaller version of what happened last year, he means we are showing similarities to last year, on a smaller scale though.

At least that’s what I think he means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

"Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) have invited Jose Mourinho to meet them and "discuss his concerns" about the atmosphere at Old Trafford. "

What do they want, his autograph?

Jose is winning games. We are also 38 games unbeaten at home.

2nd in the league, Top of the CL group.

what the fuck do they want to discuss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's alot of this too.
    The amount of criticism being received and yet last years PL champions have lost 4 games in the PL and were hammered by Roma
    Is there that much criticism? A few people are either a) unhappy with the style of football we play and would like to see improvements or b) slightly concerned with performances regardless of the results and maybe feel Pogbas return isn't going to solve all our problems.

I think they're both somewhat valid concerns and shouldn't detract from the progress we've made over the past 18 months.

And I'm sure Chelsea are receiving plenty of criticism for their start in their megathread.

Imagine assuming that team performs better when our best player returns, crazy idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If he is complaining about the atmosphere, why wouldn't a supporters association offer to talk to him about any ideas he might have improve things? He's a representative and official the club, I really don't understand your issue here.

why he's being a bit of an antagonistic dick towards them? surely not that difficult to comprehend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

S.M.B. wrote: »
    why he's being a bit of an antagonistic dick towards them? surely not that difficult to comprehend.

I'd agree the meeting makes sense but it's not a difficult question to answer; deathly silence at the best of times, booing his subs at the worst.

The atmosphere at OT has long been a running joke and widely acknowledged. You can blame daytrippers or whatever else, but I have to admit, I look so jealously at the likes of Dortmunds wall or even Liverpools prematurely YNWA singalong. And this feels like an issue that's only gotten worse in recent years.

Part of that, I know, is that a lot of home fans still recoil at memories of constant draws and losses under Moyes and LVG, but it feels like the home crowd aren't coming through with their end of making Ot the fortress it should be. The amount of games where the crowd just sit on their hands silently is a real killer...

I think it's particularly frustrating when you see the passion and energy the away fans display too. I don't blame Jose for getting annoyed that we can't capture that energy at home.

If he is complaining about the atmosphere, why wouldn't a supporters association offer to talk to him about any ideas he might have to improve things? He's a representative and official the club, I really don't understand your issue here.

Hes winning games and delivering trophies.

He is pointing out the that the atmosphere issue is with the supporters.

If MUST want to discuss how to improve things, it should be up to them to do it.

not pass responsibility to Jose.

If they do need to need help then hey should be knocking at Ed's door.

He hasnt. He said what most people were thinking.

It's not his responsibility to fix it. His job is to deliver results and trophies which he has done.

• Advertisement

Is there that much criticism? A few people are either a) unhappy with the style of football we play and would like to see improvements or b) slightly concerned with performances regardless of the results and maybe feel Pogbas return isn't going to solve all our problems.

I think they're both somewhat valid concerns and shouldn't detract from the progress we've made over the past 18 months.

And I'm sure Chelsea are receiving plenty of criticism for their start in their megathread.

The Media

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Media

Typical #FakeNews media giving out about Jose wanting to build a Yuuuuge wall. Sad. Low energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hes winning games and delivering trophies.

He is pointing out the that the atmosphere issue is with the supporters.

If MUST want to discuss how to improve things, it should be up to them to do it.

not pass responsibility to Jose.

If they do need to need help then hey should be knocking at Ed's door.

They aren't passing any responsibility - they are inviting him for a discussion. I really don't see how you can have any issue with this

The more discussion there is with anyone from the club, the more leverage supporters associations may get to enact any changes that may help.

Also, the atmosphere issue is a club issue as much as a supporters issue - the club has encouraged the sanitisation of support through pricing and ticketing policies.

He hasnt. He said what most people were thinking.

It's not his responsibility to fix it. His job is to deliver results and trophies which he has done.
    Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I simply don't see how '“I hope that you enjoy the game more than some of you did against Tottenham” can be perceived as anything other than antagonistic.

We weren't poor in that game ffs.

Utterly deserved to win the game.

edit: and regardless, the argument still stands that we're missing our best creative driving force. People in this ****ing thread are saying we only beat Spurs because they missed Kane, yet will not accept us missing our best player as a reason for some poor performances. It's farcical. I'd expect it from oppos but it's a bit much in here.

I missed this one. What a great point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Imagine assuming that team performs better when our best player returns, crazy idea.

Imagine wanting to critique the team that are put out to play instead of "yeah...but Pogba"

You seem to be deliberately totally missing the point.

adox wrote: »
    Imagine wanting to critique the team that are put out to play instead of "yeah...Pogba"

You seem to be deliberately totally missing the point.

Not sure what your point is and what point I'm missing, I have made my points very clear on why we are missing Pogba and how the midfielders we have can't replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Moving some of the more vocal fans to J Stand has helped a bit in not just depending on The Stretford End for a bit of noise in the stadium.
    When you go to a game it is noticeable the amount of fans who are from far and wide that are just happy to be there and I doubt many know the chants,let alone join in.What really annoys me is the sheer amount of them that spend the entire game clutching their smart phones waiting for a player to get near to where they are sitting in order to get some photos.Its a bit like seeing people at gigs spending the entire time recording it rather than getting involved and enjoying the experience.
    Smaller EPL clubs seem to have noisier fans as they are more the local crowd and don't have the global crowds attending home games.
    Even Liverpool with their "famous atmosphere" are suffering,a rendition of ynwa before a game can often be followed by long spells of silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GK at United is pretty much impossible though regardless of the era for the last 25 years. Even between Schmikes and VDS we were not going to trust a young kid there.

Ben Foster was about as close as we'll get to a young GK coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't understand Herrera. I know he was playing the deep role a lot last season but he was still stepping up to support. Now he only seems to be getting forward as the attack breaks down and tries to shoot every time the ball falls to him at the edge of the box no matter the difficulty. This despite his shooting being deplorable.

I think he had a falling out with Mourinho and is now trying to follow his instructions to the letter and not do anything that goes against the tactical plan. The problem is that it's that player's job to link defense and attack and now nobody is doing it. The defense need to move up to counteract it which with Bailly back may now happen. That and Herrera did well against Chelsea last season (silly sending off aside) so I'm hopeful of an improvement at the weekend.

He was always a guy that was more and more rated the less and less he played. He's just not that good.

You can understand why people like him but the quality is not great. Fellaini is a superior player IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement