Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Answered your own question there.

Not really no have city won Anything? And as Dave said if not jose then who is going to replicate what city do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yea that's a fair point.

I'd prefer to ask which would you prefer.... win the league with flair and entertaining football or limp over the line playing meh football .....
    We started the season well, playing with pace and flair.....

secman wrote: »
    I'd prefer to ask which would you prefer.... win the league with flair and entertaining football or limp over the line playing meh football .....
    We started the season well, playing with pace and flair.....

Against smaller clubs as we said jose won't do that against Chelsea and the likes... United have very rarely won the league like that.

Against smaller clubs as we said jose won't do that against Chelsea and the likes... United have very rarely won the league like that.

Look

I seriously hope he proves me wrong and wins loads of titles....

Look

I seriously hope he proves me wrong and wins loads of titles....

I hope he does too but it feels like people in here and in the stadium too don't appreciate how far he has taken the team already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I hope he does too but it feels like people in here and in the stadium too don't appreciate how far he has taken the team already.

Dont think he has taken us that far yet to be honest. I would wait until end of season before i would judge.

Last year most of us expected a decent crack at the title considering the money spent including a world record transfer and we limped to a 6th place finish and scored feck all goals.

This season has started well after another 150m spend, but we have been blessed with our champions league group and our easy start to league season. Hard to judge at the moment i think how far we have actually come.

Def has been an improvement, but how much, hard to tell imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think it's been clear from the start that many hated his appointment, and will look for every excuse to bemoan him, the Liverpool draw and Huddersfield close back to back has dragged some of them out now cause they couldn't give out prior to that really.

bangkok wrote: »
    Dont think he has taken us that far yet to be honest. I would wait until end of season before i would judge.

Last year most of us expected a decent crack at the title considering the money spent including a world record transfer and we limped to a 6th place finish and scored feck all goals.

This season has started well after another 150m spend, but we have been blessed with our champions league group and our easy start to league season. Hard to judge at the moment i think how far we have actually come.

Def has been an improvement, but how much, hard to tell imo

Pal even judging by style of play on average over course of games in comparison to what was served up year before last it's on another planet.

Lack of chances been created in the team recently is not what went wrong last year.. we created a lot of chances last year but didn't finish them and in the past two months or so we haven't been creating as much as we were last year or at start of this season but have full confidence that will change.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think it's been clear from the start that many hated his appointment, and will look for every excuse to bemoan him, the Liverpool draw and Huddersfield close back to back has dragged some of them out now cause they couldn't give out prior to that really.

It probably has something to do with it but it's just amusing same as there no one can give a genuine example of who else we could have in charge to do what they seemingly want to do.

Mourinho is no fool, he well knows that he hasn't won over all the Fans, it's probably 50/50 to be fair. Was always going to be a divisive appointment. Hopefully we get a win on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Don't really see how posters are saying result in City game is irrelevant,if they were to drop say two points ( which could happen)....its gives both Utd and Chelsea more incentive to go for a win to gain ground on them.

Regardless of City result I hope Utd play with controlled aggression right from the start and put pressure on Chelsea's central midfield and defence who are a bit out of sorts at the mo.

Mourinho is no fool, he well knows that he hasn't won over all the Fans, it's probably 50/50 to be fair. Was always going to be a divisive appointment. Hopefully we get a win on Sunday.

just cause his detractors make a lot of hosiery doesn't mean they make up that large a fan base. Your utterly deluded if you think it's anywhere close to 50/50, but I don't think you genuinely do think that anyway...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Don't really see how posters are saying result in City game is irrelevant,if they were to drop say two points ( which could happen)....its gives both Utd and Chelsea more incentive to go for a win to gain ground on them.

Regardless of City result I hope Utd play with controlled aggression right from the start and put pressure on Chelsea's central midfield and defence who are a bit out of sorts at the mo.

It is not relevant to how either team will set up. Jose and Conte will be making plans on how to win the game regardless of what happens in other games.

Of course, in the end it all matters to the league table but I don't see anyway Jose goes into a game in November allowing results, other than his own, influence his set up for a game away to Chelsea.

If you think its 50/50 you should have a listen to the fans in the stadium on tuesday night they continuously sang his songs I don't think anyone commented on it here but it was pretty good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

This is a too simplistic view.
    The players will all be the same.
    How they trained the days before will be the same.
    The weakness's off both teams and strengths is all the same.

You don't suddenly go "oh fck city got beat we better win"

It's not road leagues.

If you think its 50/50 you should have a listen to the fans in the stadium on tuesday night they continuously sang his songs I don't think anyone commented on it here but it was pretty good to see.

You seriously think I wouldn't be singing at OT , who's deluded !

You seriously think I wouldn't be singing at OT , who's deluded !

Why say sh1t like deluded does that make you feel better or something?

It would be pretty fickle of fans to sing for a manager then to booh him for a substitution in my opinion.

If 50 percent of old Trafford fans didn't want jose their they would not be singing for him to show their support even the boos the other day were a small section of the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Not really no have city won Anything? And as Dave said if not jose then who is going to replicate what city do?

They are more likely to than we are.

People said the same last year.

How much silverware did they add to the cabinet?

SFA.

25% of the season in and they have it wrapped up.

Tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I figure you would have said the same last year around this time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Well yeah. They're ahead of us in the league. We're more likely than the 18 other clubs by the same logic.

Why say sh1t like deluded does that make you feel better or something?

It would be pretty fickle of fans to sing for a manager then to booh him for a substitution in my opinion.

If 50 percent of old Trafford fans didn't want jose their they would not be singing for him to show their support even the boos the other day were a small section of the stadium.

Apologies, it was someone else who said I was deluded, it's been a long day, :)

But have they won Anything? We won two trophies last year we are going well in all cups so far we are going well in the league so far....

By your logic we may as well call off the league now.

limnam wrote: »
    People said the same last year.

How much silverware did they add to the cabinet?

SFA.

Tiring.

I never said they had it wrapped up.
    I figure you would have said the same last year around this time.

I would have yes.

Jayop wrote: »
    Well yeah. They're ahead of us in the league. We're more likely than the 18 other clubs by the same logic.

My 'logic' wasn't exclusively based on league position. See below.
    But have they won Anything? We won two trophies last year we are going well in all cups so far we are going well in the league so far....

By your logic we may as well call off the league now.

A poor man's FA Cup and a 2nd tier European competition that City were too good to compete in last season is what we won. Don't get me wrong it was great to win them but they are not exactly the trophies that a club like United should be aiming for.

I don't understand why you think my opinion has to be based on what City have already won. City haven't won anything yet. But, despite our good start to the league they are 5 points ahead of us (could be 8 before we play again), outscoring us (as usual), and pretty much all of their players are in form. They approach every game with a desire to win and they are absolutely ruthless. Therefore I think they are more likely to win trophies right now than we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

limnam wrote:

Twas the same last year when they had an electric start, tailed off after 8 or 9 games.

Can judge nothing until the end of January imo.

As the saying goes, you can't win it before Christmas, but you can definitely lose it before then.

A poor man's FA Cup

That city didn't manage to win and so ruthless they couldn't put one past wolves in it this year.
    and a 2nd tier European competition that City were too good to compete in last season is what we won.

While City struggled against the likes of Celtic in the CL and got dumped out in the last 16 against monaco

Ruthless my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Video of Evra training on Instagram,no wonder he could kick so high.
    For some reason I can't embed it.

That city didn't manage to win and so ruthless they couldn't put one past wolves in it this year.

While City struggled against the likes of Celtic in the CL and got dumped out in the last 16 against monaco

Ruthless my arse.

I didn't say they were ruthless last season. I think they are ruthless this season.

I didn't say they were ruthless last season. I think they are ruthless this season.

Your talking out of your jaxy.

They couldn't score against a championship team in 120 minutes.

Ruthless?

You said a comp they were too good for while they were busy been held by Celtic.

Stop back pedaling.

You're making an assumption based on the same rubbish you made it on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Evra was an idiot and will probably never play again in a top tier league but does it make a difference?

Multi millionaire.

5 premier league winners medals.
    1 champions league
    3 league cups
    2 Italian league
    Think 1 French league, couple of other medals too.

He was outstanding for us for a number of years and will be fondly remembered by most United fans for his service to the club.

He shouldn't have done what he did but does it make me think any less of him?

Does it fcuk.

He didn't try and kick me in the head.

Your talking out of your jaxy.

They couldn't score against a championship team in 120 minutes.

Ruthless?

Yes, that and the Everton game are the only hiccups so far. They're scoring for fun against pretty much everyone else.
    You said a comp they were too good for while they were busy been held by Celtic.

Stop back pedaling.

How am I back peddling? You can cherry pick a group game against Celtic all you want (and conveniently ignore their win against Barcelona) but they reached the knockout stages of the Champions League last season so yes they were too good for the Europa League. Not difficult to understand.
    You're making an assumption based on the same rubbish you made it on last year.

I never made these assumptions/predictions regarding City last season. Regardless, I'm stating an opinion based on their results and performances this season, not based on rubbish.

Yes, that and the Everton game are the only hiccups so far. They're scoring for fun against pretty much everyone else.

10 goals came against a 10 man Liverpool side and the worst palace side I've ever seen.

Remove that alone and we've scored as many. not mentioning the 7 against stoke.

It's not like we're struggling to score...
    How am I back peddling? You can cherry pick a group game against Celtic all you want (and conveniently ignore their win against Barcelona) but they reached the knockout stages of the Champions League last season so yes they were too good for the Europa League. Not difficult to understand.

Two games against celtic and held against Mönchengladbach and then dumped out by monaco. Not exactly the signs of world beaters.

Alavés also beat Barca in the nou camp last season

So I wouldn't look too much into that..;)

10 goals came against a 10 man Liverpool side and the worst palace side I've ever seen.

Remove that alone and we've scored as many. not mentioning the 7 against stoke.

It's not like we're struggling to score...

I can think of 5 games this season in which we've struggled to score. I suspect another one is coming pretty soon too.

Putting 5 goals past a 10 man Liverpool side beats putting 0 past an 11 man Liverpool side in my opinion. You've "removed" (for some reason) 10 goals including 5 against Palace in order to claim that we've then scored as many as they have - but you haven't removed from our total the 4 goals we scored against the same Palace side? Why is that?

I reckon if you remove 5 points from City's points total we'd be on the same number of points too.
    Two games against celtic and held against Mönchengladbach and then dumped out by monaco. Not exactly the signs of world beaters.

Alavés also beat Barca in the nou camp last season

So I wouldn't look too much into that..;)

They still finished 2nd in their CL group which means they were too good to even "qualify" for the Europa League by finishing 3rd.

Monaco were a very good side last season. Better than any side we played in the Europa League.

Sure, there are definitely some like that. They wear their colours proud.

However, I think it would be unfair and inaccurate to categorise anyone who has a bad word to say about Jose into that bunch. Not saying you are doing it here TSC, just I have seen it done in the thread over the last few weeks and this posted reminded me of it.

I was delighted to see Jose arrive at the club, it should have happened sooner. I'm still delighted to see him here and there's been a lot of progress made already in the 16 months he's been here IMO. Progress other teams and managers could only aspire to in twice that amount of time.

That doesn't mean that Jose can do no wrong in my eyes. I posted concern about the Lukaku/fans story from last week for example. It should be alright for posters to express the odd reasonable grievance in here without getting tarred with the 'Sure you never liked him anyway/any excuse to moan about him' brush.

As for Liverpool and Huddersfield - I really think if the players remembered how to play football and execute a gameplan at Anfield, that could have been a different (better) game for us and the manager. Huddersfield - Again, players. I said it at the time in the aftermath, but it bears repeating: The team looked like they had it in their heads 'It's Huddersfield, there's no way we're not winning this game' and before they knew it, boom it was too late to get back into the game.

The Players were very poor on both counts, but there's an argument to be made that that Liverpool team were shown far too much respect with the way we were set-up on the day. Context will be key - If we get 1 point or 3 at Stamford Bridge, well then 5 or 7 out of 9 points v Liverpool(A)/Spurs(H)/Chelsea(A) will be a decent to good return in this run.

The team is doing quite well, it's easy to take for granted the progress Jose has made in a relatively short time so far. There's also injuries to contend with early in the new season. 12/12 points in the CL group, 2nd in the league with 3 points of a cushion over our nearest rivals, 4 over the rest. Some strong players to soon rejoin the squad. Times are good, but we should be able to express reasonable concerns* about the manager without getting labelled and dismissed with narrow generalisations.

*Your mileage may vary :)

I think the people who are outraged at evra were the same ones who said daley blind and phil jones should be sacked by the club for giving abuse to drug testers after europa league final!!

A nothing story imo. Evra is 36, barely in the marseille team, semi retired.

A utd legend and imo will be a club ambassador soon (if he wants it that is)

bangkok wrote:

He still kicked a fan in the head.

Its a standard 9-12 month ban which will likely end his career.

If you did that on the street, you'd likely end up charged with assault.

Certainly not a nothing story, despite him being on the periphery of a mediocre French team and in the twilight of his career. His past glory makes it the story it is.

VW 1 wrote: »

Certainly not a nothing story, despite him being on the periphery of a mediocre French team and in the twilight of his career. His past glory makes it the story it is.

Actually think he kicked him in the shoulder.

No he kicked him on the arm. Its also not the premier league, would be very surprised if it was anywhere near that.

Roy keane intentionally set out to break someones leg and didnt serve jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No he kicked him on the arm. Its also not the premier league, would be very surprised if it was anywhere near that.

Roy keane intentionally set out to break someones leg and didnt serve jail time.

Jesus H. Christ. This has BLOODY nothing to do with kicking someone in the head. If you did that to someone in work, you'd be given your walking papers.

• Advertisement

OK, he may have caught his shoulder or his arm or whatever, his foot was still more than 5 feet off the ground and aiming at his head. Intent is important here, as much as I love Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's the most angst ridden this thread has been for a long time and we just beat spurs. Strange times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jayop wrote: »
    It's the most angst ridden this thread has been for a long time and we just beat spurs. Strange times.

Could be worse, could be Chelsea.Abramovich made a rare trip to the training ground. The dreaded vote of confidence for Conte.
    Let's make things a little bit harder for them on Sunday.

OK, he may have caught his shoulder or his arm or whatever, his foot was still more than 5 feet off the ground and aiming at his head. Intent is important here, as much as I love Pat.

How do you know that?

Maybe as a professional footballer he has a great aim and thought..... Oh I'm gonna kick this guy in the shoulder... bang on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think the people who are outraged at evra were the same ones who said daley blind and phil jones should be sacked by the club for giving abuse to drug testers after europa league final!!

A nothing story imo.

You give the reasonable amongst your fan base a terrible name. A nothing story my hoop. He kicked a guy in the fúcking head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think we can all agree, it was a definite red card.
    His foot was very high in the challenge

SlickRic wrote: »
    You give the reasonable amongst your fan base a terrible name. A nothing story my hoop. He kicked a guy in the fúcking shoulder.

FYP :)

paulbok wrote: »
    I think we can all agree, it was a definite red card.
    His foot was very high in the challenge

Was there Intent shown? I'm not so sure.

Sure, there are definitely some like that. They wear their colours proud.

However, I think it would be unfair and inaccurate to categorise anyone who has a bad word to say about Jose into that bunch. Not saying you are doing it here TSC, just I have seen it done in the thread over the last few weeks and this posted reminded me of it.

Yeah, just to clarify, I'm not saying Anyone who has a bad word to say about Jose is like that. Just there are a handful of users in here who very clearly have wanted rid of Jose since day one, and you can see get giddiness at the prospect of having a chance to bemoan him. And a subsect of that handful then never post when things are going well either, as if all they want is to give out, and ignore the positives because it doesn't suit their agenda.

• Advertisement

A utd legend and imo will be a club ambassador soon (if he wants it that is)

Evras contact has been terminated
    Seems to be doing the rounds this morning
    Talking about this seriously, I'd say Evra may have put that at slight risk at being associated with the club in the future
    I'd imagine it's the first thing that he would be questioned on in an interview

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement